• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm think more in terms of who we could have drafted instead of these two.
Not much choice in that awful 2013 class.

oh yeah by that logic hurst is probably far far worse

ridley
warner
leonard
chubb
sutton
landry
gesicki
goedert
bates

looking back that 2018 LB class was insane - you could argue that the 2 best LBs in the sport as well as 2 more of the top 5-10 came from this class and then you've got LVE who went to a pro bowl too (Leonard, Warner, Roquan, Edmunds, LVE)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i wouldnt go that far - hayden's been disappointing but he's at least having a somewhat decent football career... just not what you want from a 1st rounder

elam was a trainwreck
he also brought us Dobbins in return, which is more than I can say about Elam.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I could understand passing on Ridley if they had ended up with DJ Moore, but Hurst was... a pick.
Hurst was truly one of the picks of all time.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
oh yeah by that logic hurst is probably far far worse

ridley
warner
leonard
chubb
sutton
landry
gesicki
goedert
bates

looking back that 2018 LB class was insane - you could argue that the 2 best LBs in the sport as well as 2 more of the top 5-10 came from this class and then you've got LVE who went to a pro bowl too (Leonard, Warner, Roquan, Edmunds, LVE)
We could have also lost Lamar to someone else.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wonder how far Lamar may have fallen if we didn't select him. Or if he would have been asked to transition to WR for a team that drafted him based on athletics abilities

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I doubt he was ever going to play wr or any other position if not a qb
Ya never know all it takes is one shitty coach or GM and the player we know may never have happened

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
lets not go there, but absolutely true.

In all of my years watching football, I have one thing to thank the Eagles for and that was trading pick 32 in 2018. Rumors were flying days ahead of time that the Eagles were trying to trade that pick.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think we would be.

Hurst went to a VERY tight end friendly offense in Atlanta, and a more pass happy offense than Baltimore, and just didn't produce at a clip where I'd say he was worth the first round pick.

I think Hurst would have been okay in Baltimore, but I don't think he'd have ever justified his draft status.
I agree with this. Hurst would have "looked better" if Andrews weren't a stud, but there just aren't many draft classes where a team gets two high quality TEs in the same draft. One's going to be significantly better than the other.

Had they not drafted Andrews at all, then Hurst career may have gone differently, since he may have been a more focal point of this offense. But he skill-wise would have never matched Andrews I don't think, and we just would have been talking about how the Ravens drafted the wrong TE in that draft, instead of drafting the both the right one and wrong one.

I don't know the history of others teams, but its fair to see I'd bet I wouldn't see a lot of teams double dipping at TE, and we've done it three times now. And while the second TE drafted has (so far) made more impact than the first, its at least a little encouraging that the FO doesn't dissuade from taking a second one just because it took the first one.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree with this. Hurst would have "looked better" if Andrews weren't a stud, but there just aren't many draft classes where a team gets two high quality TEs in the same draft. One's going to be significantly better than the other.

Had they not drafted Andrews at all, then Hurst career may have gone differently, since he may have been a more focal point of this offense. But he skill-wise would have never matched Andrews I don't think, and we just would have been talking about how the Ravens drafted the wrong TE in that draft, instead of drafting the both the right one and wrong one.

I don't know the history of others teams, but its fair to see I'd bet I wouldn't see a lot of teams double dipping at TE, and we've done it three times now. And while the second TE drafted has (so far) made more impact than the first, its at least a little encouraging that the FO doesn't dissuade from taking a second one just because it took the first one.

Minor note but we’ve actually double-dipped at TE 4 times

Dickson and Pitta
Williams and Boyle
Hurst and Andrews
Kolar and Likely

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Minor note but we’ve actually double-dipped at TE 4 times

Dickson and Pitta
Williams and Boyle
Hurst and Andrews
Kolar and Likely
I forgot about Williams. So much hype over that pick, even more so because the Steelers really wanted him.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Naw. He already made it known that he was strictly a qb. He didnt even run the 40 neither. Picking him and expecting him not to play qb, is a disaster waiting to happen
I forgot he didnt run the 40. Was that a QB/WR thing or did he only want to run it at his pro day. Hey man it happened to Jamie Fox(Aka Steamin Willie Beamin) in Any Given Sunday....

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
he refused to run it so that teams wouldnt worry about his non-QB related skills and tape
he did all the QB drills but opted out of all the athletic scoring
Id say it worked out well for him lol. Glad it did, the NFL needs more QBs like him.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Has lamar ever failed to deliver on a game winning drive? He probably has but i honestly cant think of a time when he didnt!