• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
And how would short contracts affect salary cap strategy?
Honestly wouldn't be that big of a change. Good teams try to front load contracts anyway unless it's really tight that year. And it might actually prevent cap hell since teams wouldn't be able to keep extending and pushing back the big number and suddenly have to pay off a bunch of players at once.
Would change it considerably.
Main reason why teams love like 5-6 year deals for franchise QBs is that they can back load the cap hits because a) the cap keeps increasing and b) once the cap hit gets large, they'll just do another extension to reduce it. Once you've got a franchise QB, you can basically play that game for like 10-15 years, and the only time you'll really be close to "cap hell" is at the very end of their career, and then its only one year.

With fully GTD contracts, and with shorter periods, there's far less cap maneuverability. Basically every year when you hear a team "converts salary to bonus to create cap space" for a high end QB, you won't hear that anymore, because its pointless. The only way to create significant cap space on a player with like a 2-3 year deal is to either cut them or extend them. Cutting isn't an option when the contract is fully GTD, so basically it'll just turn into a potential like 1-2 year contract renegotiation over and over and over again until one party says they're done with the other.

As an example:
Contract 1: Lamar signs a 3 year, $150M, fully GTD contract
Contract 2: Lamar signs a 6 year, $300M contract, with $150M guaranteed.

Player would likely prefer Contract 1. Team would prefer Contract 2 by a gigantic margin. Total money is greater in deal 2 and GTD money is the same for the player, but contract 2 offers a TON more cap flexibility for the franchise.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
There were of course a handful and people on here were looking for them. There are a handful saying Allen is the weak link of Buffalo and will be the reason they do not make it to the Super Bowl. You can find someone with any hottake in the media if you look hard enough but putting the entire media on the fringe elements is just silly. They do these stupid hottakes in order to get clicks after all (also to keep up a narrative as the people bashing Allen and Lamar the loudest are the ones who did so pre draft).
They're also not really comparable. Like neither played great, but most in the media and even fans know that the talent around Allen isn't the same as the talent around Lamar. Buffalo has a much, much, better roster than the Ravens do. On both sides of the ball.
Allen is getting criticized quite a bit because on a roster full of talent, he's turning the ball over a lot, which is putting his defense in bad spots. Now he's always been a high turnover-rate kind of QB, but when you're blowing teams out or winning a lot more, nobody cares. Same with Mahomes.

Allen had 7 turnovers in a 3 game stretch, and Bill went 1-2 and didn't look great in any of those games. People definitely criticized him for that.
Allen has a turnover problem for sure. 11 turnovers in last 5 games, compared to just 6 TD passes (9 total TDs). Dudes fumbled a ridiculous 9 times in 9 games. He's just been super lucky with recoveries.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Are we a run heavy offense? Take away Lamar’s designed runs and I’m curious what the numbers look like on the year. Felt like we were passing a lot , especially earlier in the year with Bateman healthy and 1/2 backs out
Why would you exclude the designed runs though? You would want to exclude the scrambles, not the designed runs.
QB designed runs are just a part of the run game.
QB scrambles on designed passing plays where the play breaks down and Lamar creates something with his legs should be considered designed passing plays that turn into runs.

Statistically, we're pretty close to a totally balanced offense.

Ratio is 339 rush, 322 pass, which imputes 51/49 run:pass ratio with no context.

So the question becomes how many of Lamar's 111 rush attempts are "designed" vs "off script". That I don't know and won't research, but my guess is its somewhat substantial.

Would have hard time believing we're not closer to 50:50, or even slightly pass-higher ratio, if we're talking about called pass plays vs called run plays.

BUT, in the context of the entire league ratios, 50/50 would be considered run heavy in this league. Even 55/45 pass:run is probably still considered "run heavy".

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

But we have people that say he played awful

No one said he played awful, we said his deep ball was terrible and it was(worst in the league, second only to Zach Wilson). If he connects on some of those wide open deep shots its a completely different game. The WRs also let him down with some drops. The two are not mutually exclusive.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No one said he played awful, we said his deep ball was terrible and it was(worst in the league, second only to Zach Wilson). If he connects on some of those wide open deep shots its a completely different game. The WRs also let him down with some drops. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Lamar needs to hit those deep throws. Not to defend Roman or the shit receivers we have, but our game plan relies on Lamar being able to connect on a deep ball or two. We don’t get receivers in space often, we rely on our run game and heavy sets to create an opening for ONE receiver and those openings don’t come often when 3 receivers are running against 7 in coverage, so when the opening is there, we gotta connect.

That said, catch the fucking ball when it does get to your hands.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar needs to hit those deep throws. Not to defend Roman or the shit receivers we have, but our game plan relies on Lamar being able to connect on a deep ball or two. We don’t get receivers in space often, we rely on our run game and heavy sets to create an opening for ONE receiver and those openings don’t come often when 3 receivers are running against 7 in coverage, so when the opening is there, we gotta connect.

Its never going to be a perfect game, but between the missed deep shots and dropped TDs this should have been a blow out with fans talking about the explosive offensive performance. But here we are , pitch fork in hand, looking for Romans fat ass

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Its never going to be a perfect game, but between the missed deep shots and dropped TDs this should have been a blow out with fans talking about the explosive offensive performance. But here we are , pitch fork in hand, looking for Romans fat ass
Can you recall a Ravens game with 4 missed TDs on routine plays? Missing a guy 5 yards open and 3 count em 3 wide open endzone drops? That was like an all time bad performance. And not the Kyle Boller years type of bad. The we could obviously be good but we chose that we were going to absolutely suck today bad.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

And end of day, there's no "fixing" those missed plays other than the QB just needs to execute better. There's no way to scheme those plays better, block for them better, or upgrade personnel so that they'll miraculously start catching errant throws.

These small handful of plays were designed well, called at the right time, and everybody but the QB did what they're supposed to do.

Hit one or two of those throws, just like receivers catching one or two of the balls they should, and we're having dramatically different conversations today.

Hence why Sunday's loss wasn't on one player. Lots of mistakes made by a bunch of different people. Including QB1.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
And end of day, there's no "fixing" those missed plays other than the QB just needs to execute better. There's no way to scheme those plays better, block for them better, or upgrade personnel so that they'll miraculously start catching errant throws.

These small handful of plays were designed well, called at the right time, and everybody but the QB did what they're supposed to do.

Hit one or two of those throws, just like receivers catching one or two of the balls they should, and we're having dramatically different conversations today.

Hence why Sunday's loss wasn't on one player. Lots of mistakes made by a bunch of different people. Including QB1.
For sure. Total team loss. It's just crazy that a game where you lose by one point and Lamar missed an easy TD and you can't say that the overthrow was the definitive reason for the loss.

Lamar gave 3 of his guys perfect opportunities for TDs and they wasted them. The team came together to leave 16 points on the table. Even with the late game magic of Lawrence the game isn't close of you have simple routine plays made.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I dnt watch any sports news outlet and unless it gets posted in my group chat or someone i wont see it… with that being said, is pat mahommes just so good now that people dnt even talk about it no more cause its expected of it? Has a finally won all the “ he got the best weapons thats why” people over?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I dnt watch any sports news outlet and unless it gets posted in my group chat or someone i wont see it… with that being said, is pat mahommes just so good now that people dnt even talk about it no more cause its expected of it? Has a finally won all the “ he got the best weapons thats why” people over?
I’m astounded that in 2022 people are still denying that mahomes is qb1 in the league. It shouldn’t have taken the removal of tyreek hill to get there. Yes mahomes has made a lot of lll advised throws but if you don’t see how goddamn incredible he is at playing qb, then you don’t know what’s going on. That dude sees the field so well, his timing is impeccable, and his varied baseball style releases just unlock so much more playbook, they run so many easy screens and quick hitters that other teams can’t run because nobody can execute those as crisp and quick as mahomes.

As far as arm talent mahomes is already the GOAT to me, field vision and command of his offense he’s up there with the GOATs, decision making he hasn’t historically been the greatest but you give him a pass there.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m astounded that in 2022 people are still denying that mahomes is qb1 in the league. It shouldn’t have taken the removal of tyreek hill to get there. Yes mahomes has made a lot of lll advised throws but if you don’t see how goddamn incredible he is at playing qb, then you don’t know what’s going on. That dude sees the field so well, his timing is impeccable, and his varied baseball style releases just unlock so much more playbook, they run so many easy screens and quick hitters that other teams can’t run because nobody can execute those as crisp and quick as mahomes.

As far as arm talent mahomes is already the GOAT to me, field vision and command of his offense he’s up there with the GOATs, decision making he hasn’t historically been the greatest but you give him a pass there.
Honestly the only other QB that you could even argue over Mahomes in terms of pure physical talent is prime Rodgers. Among modern QBs it'd be a distant third after those two.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Vick or anyone else telling another man to not take the max gotta be dumbest shit ever. Either that or he a straight hater
I JUST saw that too. I don't think his deals were max, but Vick's extensions were quite the pretty penny during that time. I still have hope that Lamar's contract extension will "satisfy" both parties.