• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Also gotta realize this is a team that doesn’t release their PS elevations until the league transaction report comes out because they feel that extra hour is a competitive advantage. I see no way they would ever be completely forthcoming on the status of their premier player.

i wonder if this has only happened because it's become very obvious from insiders the last few days that Lamar's not playing

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
So wait a second. The Ravens have said numerous times they don’t speak on injuries for various reasons but those include:

1. It’s the player’s business
2. I’m sure competitive reasons

So knowing this why would we think Harbaugh or the Ravens would speak out on Lamar’s injury? I know for a fact Harbaugh has said injuries are the player’s business and he doesn’t put stuff out there. I think and assume Lamar:

1. Wants to play football for the Ravens
2. Wanted to be back ASAP
3. Was hopeful he would return before or at the playoffs
4. Realizing now that may not be likely due to his recovery

This smells more like maybe Lamar wanted to keep things tight lipped on his injury and hoped to rehab and come back for a run but it didn’t work out that way. Now because the decision was with him always anyway he decided to speak out on it.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Only thing that gives me some pause here is the statement came from Lamar (and it was clearly written for him) and not the Ravens. I don't think it's doom and gloom but it was definitely Lamar's team playing PR from all of the contract reason theories. The Ravens probably should have owned up by now, but again, this is a team that takes every opportunity for competitive advantage. Just as easily could have been the plan all along.
There is no competitive advantage in feeding a smear campaign, or at the very least not doing anything to stop it, against your best player. It is absolutely appalling how they handled this.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Also as good as Lamar is why would some team trade the farm for Lamar when he is hurt and had a season ending injury? That’s the kind of dumb move a franchise does. The only way a team does it is if the Ravens sell very low. I’m not sure why I would do that if I am the Ravens.

Only way Lamar leaves is if he wants it and I’m not convinced of that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
There is no competitive advantage in feeding a smear campaign, or at the very least not doing anything to stop it, against your best player. It is absolutely appalling how they handled this.

but where was the smear campaign?

mostly just ravens fans on the internet who are looking to confirm their own biases who picked up every little thing and ran with it

there were the guys talking about contract stuff but not enough that it was a big deal - and they also got shut down

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
I don't see how it couldn't, honestly. Harbaugh, and by extension the Ravens because he is the team's mouthpiece on this, did a really poor job of providing accurate updates regarding Lamar's injury. Harbaugh lately has acted as if he's totally in the dark regarding the injury and where Lamar stands, after providing he was hopeful that it was a short term injury, but now Lamar is coming out and saying, "No, this is exactly where I am in the process."

I'm not sure if John Harbaugh being straightforward about LJ injury makes anything better if the idea is to have some form of competitive advantage. I think as a head coach I would rather want my opposing team studying tape of a possibly of a star like LJ playing then studying tape on Tyler Huntley for most of the week.The Ravens have been a very private organization for years and don't operate like other teams do. I definitely understand why they wanted to keep things quiet. I even understand why a lie would have been told to Rich Eisen as well.

LJ a pretty competitive guy and I don't think he would ever want to miss a playoff game especially if his team is in the playoffs. He's very engage with social media and has a lot of fans that really really really like or love him. I can see why he would want to share why he may not be playing in a game against a divisional rival in the playoffs. Alot of people were expecting him to play this Sunday coming up but truthfully he probably should have kept that information to himself though.

Simba

Staff Member
Your theory makes no sense though. If this was a team that wanted to trade Lamar, they wouldn't launch this "smear campaign" because that in theory would make his trade value go down. Painting him as lazy, aloof, whatever is far more damaging than him simply being hurt.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Your theory makes no sense though. If this was a team that wanted to trade Lamar, they wouldn't launch this "smear campaign" because that in theory would make his trade value go down. Painting him as lazy, aloof, whatever is far more damaging than him simply being hurt.
I'm not saying they launched it but they definitely kept feeding it by never telling how serious the injury is.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
but where was the smear campaign?

mostly just ravens fans on the internet who are looking to confirm their own biases who picked up every little thing and ran with it

there were the guys talking about contract stuff but not enough that it was a big deal - and they also got shut down
All over the media and internet - if you really care about your future long term investment, you don't give anybody any ammunition. regardless of who is blabbering.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Also this may be one of those clear signs why LJ may needa agent because honestly why would you post that you have a grade 2 borderline grade 3 PCL strain on Twitter during a contract year. This injury may possibly require surgery which may take up to 6 to 10 months to heal . Like if anything The Ravens was protecting his value or his best interest for not even being straightforward about this. I honestly hope all this is fake and LJ actually plays on Sunday but it is what is

Simba

Staff Member
All I see is a bunch of conjecture, overthinking, and either baseless negativity or baseless positivity by nearly everyone on this thread.
Look at Sizzle being the voice of reason. Maybe you really are a changed man.

But yeah the reality is probably somewhere in the middle. I have my doubts that the Ravens and Lamar's team are totally in sync, but I also don't see how reaching to the extremes is considered plausible by some.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
All I see is a bunch of conjecture, overthinking, and either baseless negativity or baseless positivity by nearly everyone on this thread.
Nobody know what’s up with this man’s knee besides what he said and that he’s missed games. Nobody knows if he wants out of Baltimore or not. I’m sure we’ll find out soon but this wouldn’t be the first time the Ravens did a bad job on injury PR

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Or maybe it's just magnified because it's Lamar. When are they ever upfront about an injury unless it's season ending?
They had to quash all the bullshit about Lamar immediately. They chose to let Preston's bullshit hang around for 2 weeks before they did anything. And I'm not even sure Sun and Preston retracted on Ravens' request.

Simba

Staff Member
They had to quash all the bullshit about Lamar immediately. They chose to let Preston's bullshit hang around for 2 weeks before they did anything. And I'm not even sure Sun and Preston retracted on Ravens' request.
Hardly anyone knew Preston even made that statement because it was hidden in a Q&A. It ignited a couple of weeks later and it got squashed real quick.

Simba

Staff Member
With all of this, I will say that it's another botched PR job and it's been downhill ever since Byrne left. I know it's an organizational thought process that the less info that's out there, the better off you are. But sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and be forthright. It's why this conversation leans so heavy to the extremes. It's never easy to prognosticate injury timelines, but I can imagine this goes significantly better if they have Harbaugh give some detail and say they don't have a timeline vs. the choice to consistently just say that he doesn't know.