• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
We do not know what kind of contract was he offered. If the rumours of the one which was on par with Murray's are correct, that was anything but fair.
What specifically is unfair about it?
Plus the rumors are its in excess of Murray's contract.

The better question I would have is... why has Lamar earned more than Josh Allen?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar's weapons were considerably worse than Burrows - it's not so much about draft status but who they are as players.

Andrews was really good, no argument. Hurst was a non-factor, because Roman can only really involve one TE in the passing game at a time (as we've seen with Likely whenever Andrews is out). I think he's calling Hollywood one footed because he had a foot injury and said he wasn't 100% that season.

The Ravens haven't spent very much draft capital on playmakers, considering they've traded a way 2 of their highly drafted pass catchers and that the WR room consisted of Willie Snead and a nice house plant when Lamar arrived.
OK, but last year he had Andrews, Bateman, and Hollywood. Problem was none of them could stay healthy enough to be on the field together, which includes Lamar.
If you can't win with that group, you're not winning with barely any groups. It's not practical from a roster construction standpoint to have much better weapons that that.

Plus, I struggle with this aspect of "Lamar was an MVP with no weapons", but now suddenly can't function as a high level QB without them. So what's changed in those 3-4 years to make that the case?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I do think it's funny how everyone is choosing to interpret his tweet in their own way. Everyone is making assumptions/assertions and projecting their own thoughts (including myself). The reality is simply that we do not know, and that's exactly how both the Ravens and Lamar's team wants it.
At least Lamar's team does not leave anything regarding injury to free interpretation. The Ravens, intentionally or not, did not do that.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Hayden Hurst pick is eye brow raising when Calvin Ridley was on the board.

That being said he was a good fit for the Ravens but they ended up trading him.

We do not know what kind of contract was he offered. If the rumours of the one which was on par with Murray's are correct, that was anything but fair.
We don’t know the details, but I don’t believe for one second that the Ravens are trying to low ball him. There were plenty of reports (based off of unknown sources) that it was in excess of Murray and Wilson deals, but the guaranteed money was the sticking point. But you never get details until the agreement takes place.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
OK, but last year he had Andrews, Bateman, and Hollywood. Problem was none of them could stay healthy enough to be on the field together, which includes Lamar.
If you can't win with that group, you're not winning with barely any groups. It's not practical from a roster construction standpoint to have much better weapons that that.

Plus, I struggle with this aspect of "Lamar was an MVP with no weapons", but now suddenly can't function as a high level QB without them. So what's changed in those 3-4 years to make that the case?

That is the big what if. So many injuries starting with Bateman then followed by both Dobbins and Gus....MP...

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
We don’t know the details, but I don’t believe for one second that the Ravens are trying to low ball him. There were plenty of reports (based off of unknown sources) that it was in excess of Murray and Wilson deals, but the guaranteed money was the sticking point. But you never get details until the agreement takes place.
To me "based off of unknown sources" translates to we don't know.

Tank

Hall of Famer
What’s factual here is there’s 53 other guys that will be out there Sunday night playing their asses off trying to compete in the tournament. It’s unfortunate the Ravens are where they are with Lamar and all this drama has to be a distraction. Hopefully the post to Lamar’s Twitter puts it to rest for now, which is why I think it showed up when it did. No conspiracy there.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
What’s factual here is there’s 53 other guys that will be out there Sunday night playing their asses off trying to compete in the tournament. It’s unfortunate the Ravens are where they are with Lamar and all this drama has to be a distraction. Hopefully the post to Lamar’s Twitter puts it to rest for now, which is why I think it showed up when it did. No conspiracy there.
I hope that Anthony Brown is one of them.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This situation is so simple that it's just sickening.

1) Lamar gets hurt
2) Ravens diagnose a borderline grade 3 PCL strain
3) The Ravens know he is overwhelmingly likely to be out for the year. A grade 2 was enough to put him out, a grade 3 was a certainty.
4) The Ravens actively lie about his injury (just as they did last year)
5) Lamar gets slandered in the process
6) The team does not use this situation to make a meaningful attempt to improve the team

6 is especially disgusting imo when you know Huntley is limited all season by shoulder tendinitis.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Regardless of what it was, I find it quite comical that the Kyler Murray contract is "insulting" to some people. That's not a logical thought process at all.

Kyler Murray's contract is #4 in total value, #3 in AAV, #7 in signing bonus, #3 in $ gtd at signing, and #2 in practical gtd money. I honestly don't know why people think Lamar is somehow significantly higher than that, because there's really not much higher they can possibly go.

The most amusing part to me is literally the only difference between Murray's contract and Watson's contract is the guaranteed money. It's obviously a huge, material difference, but I don't think some fans really care about that either. Watson isn't making $50M a year. He's making $46M a year.

If the Ravens offered Lamar the exact same contract Murray got, I'd have zero issues with the Ravens stance. $46M a year, nearly 80% of it guaranteed. Will be top 5 paid at his position. That's not a bad deal by any possible metric.

The people that think its a bad deal only think that way because they think Lamar should get the Watson fully gtd deal. And as I've said before, I don't think he should nor do I think he will. From the Ravens OR anybody else. If he wants a fully gtd contract, he should be signing the Aaron Rodgers deal, which is a 3 year deal.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This situation is so simple that it's just sickening.

1) Lamar gets hurt
2) Ravens diagnose a borderline grade 3 PCL strain
3) The Ravens know he is overwhelmingly likely to be out for the year. A grade 2 was enough to put him out, a grade 3 was a certainty.
4) The Ravens actively lie about his injury (just as they did last year)
5) Lamar gets slandered in the process
6) The team does not use this situation to make a meaningful attempt to improve the team

6 is especially disgusting imo when you know Huntley is limited all season by shoulder tendinitis.
Just out of curiosity... what does a "meaningful attempt to improve the team" mean in December?

Also I don't think they lied. They just weren't transparent about what they knew, because it doesn't benefit them to be transparent. Lack of transparency isn't lying. It's just not telling you what you want to hear.

Tank

Hall of Famer

….this. It makes zero sense the Ravens were trying lowball Lamar.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Broncos spent draft picks on qbs...

People acknowledge the attempts. Doesn't mean they were successful.

Mark Clayton was a first round pick and never heard anyone early saying, man Flaccos is surrounded by weapons. That Quinn fella is really about to take off
But Ravens fans generally do not acknowledge the attempts. They prefer the Shannon Sharpe/ First Take approach but burying their heads in the sand and shouting nonsense like we failed Lamar

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Just out of curiosity... what does a "meaningful attempt to improve the team" mean in December?

Also I don't think they lied. They just weren't transparent about what they knew, because it doesn't benefit them to be transparent. Lack of transparency isn't lying. It's just not telling you what you want to hear.
Sir they lied. You can't tell me when every single week including the very first week after Lamar got hurt that when John said we're hopeful he'll play that he wasn't actively deceiving everyone. He was. And he thought it would provide a competitive advantage when it certainly doesn't. Made the team just look really foolish.

Secondly, a meaningful attempt to improve the team is 6 weeks ago see if you can't find a guy to bring in and run the team the rest of the year. Let me be very clear before you say some aggressively contrarian shit. What I'm saying here is very reasonable I promise.

You construct the roster with a backup in mind and you commit to that guy. That guy is Huntley. You can see that I'm a little biased against Huntley because even at the conclusion of last year I said he shouldn't be the backup this year. I'll say that about him again this year. Now when you know you've lost your QB1 for the year, your QB2 is up and you need to prep your QB3 to be QB2. Now if Huntley was healthy, I think you have to play him fully and live with the decision you made him your backup. But when you know youve got 6 weeks left in a season and your QB1 is totally out, and your QB2 is bad, injured, and relegated to < 10 yards passing, to not bring just anyone else in is committing to not really caring.

The Ravens have with their actions told us, we're ok to put out an offense led by a guy who won't score us points and if we win it will be on the backs of the defense and running backs. If we lose, oh well.

I'm simply saying we should not have had to go AB as the QB3 here. Dude is a UDFA rookie who didn't make the team. We could've easily signed a guy with NFL experience and the ability to throw longer than 10 yards. It's a low ask, but that's how bad a hurt Huntley and rookie AB are.

A real backup QB actually wins us that game last week. I'm almost sure of it.