• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Simba

Staff Member
it's about principle at that point

sounds like Bisciotti wants to save face and not be the guy who turns an anomaly into a trend for the owners to deal with
and for lamar it's about being the guy who changed QB contracts (and maybe all NFL contracts eventually) forever - if that truly is his goal to get the fully guaranteed 250+
And I get it from the Ravens perspective too. Because one a QB gets it, then these WRs that are getting big money are going to want it. And then it spirals to other positions and then you're fucked. Not exactly something that's possible long term in a hard capped sport like football.

Which is why I still have a hard time believing there isn't a middle ground. Going to have to guarantee him a lot, but don't see that it needs to be the full thing. Just a gut feeling, but I'd guess the total guaranteed at signing is a bigger holdup than the overall guaranteed.

it's about principle at that point

sounds like Bisciotti wants to save face and not be the guy who turns an anomaly into a trend for the owners to deal with
and for lamar it's about being the guy who changed QB contracts (and maybe all NFL contracts eventually) forever - if that truly is his goal to get the fully guaranteed 250+
If that's the case, it's not about principle it's about ego.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think Lamar may just not have signed because he didn't feel like doing it then, and I think he'll sign this offseason. I doubt that it's truly all about the money. Maybe it's the staff, his supporting cast, whatever. I feel like the FO is working on his wants,and Lamar will be back next year.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i get that they're only theoretically guaranteed - but lamar would have to suck almost immediately and consistently for a while for those not to start triggering because they lock in a year before they get paid - once they start to trigger you're basically locked into all of them unless you're willing to take massive cap space losses and enormous proportions of your cap lost to dead cap

i get why he's holding out for more than 180m
i really would be surprised if 200m guaranteed didnt get it done
Right, but that's based on structure. Some of those options are picked up like first week of the new league year. Others, like most of the "elite QBs" are like 12-13 months in advance.... i.e. options for 2024 are picked up like first week of March this year.

In either scenario, they're largely considered "guaranteed" money, even though they're theoretically not.

Ultimately may come back to the Watson deal, which is an extreme outlier in many ways other than just fully gtd. It's also a structure nobody has done, which is flat, huge base salaries in years 2-5, all fully gtd. I've not really seen anybody else do that. It creates pretty much a perpetual need for restructures.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
From the ravens side, I don't see any difference in guaranteeing 200 million vs 250 million.
you are completely buttfucked either way for half a decade if his knee buckles, might as well just make it 250 lol
I’m 34, i shouldnt laugh at butt fucked but it still got me

redrum52

Hall of Famer
From the ravens side, I don't see any difference in guaranteeing 200 million vs 250 million.
you are completely buttfucked either way for half a decade if his knee buckles, might as well just make it 250 lol

All these deal look ridiculous initially. The NFL just signed I think a 100 billion dollar tv deal. When Luck was paid people thought it was an absurd amount of money and right before he retired his deal looked like a steal. Lamar has shown he can at least carry the team the playoffs when healthy. Pay the man his money or someone else will. And good luck finding a good OC who's unsure of his qb situation with THIS wr room.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
we're in the rare position that we have a top 5 QB in the NFL and a unique player that every single team we play has to account for in a way they don't for basically any other player in the league

you don't just find those sorts of generational talents around the league often

and this team is way too functional to suck in a way that would ever get us the amount of capital to get multiple attempts at a top 5-10 pick - we have to nail it the first year we get it (because Lamar's going to be in charge of how high the other picks we get our in future years and it's a good bet we're not getting high picks if he's the QB of the team that governs where we get those picks)

the only way to get to a superbowl in this current era is to have elite QB play or have kyle shanahan/sean mcvay as your HC/playcaller
There's a Bengals Youtuber that I listen to and on multiple occasions, he mentioned that Lou Anarumo (underrated DC imo) would have a day or two in the offseason where its devoted to none other than Lamar and the Ravens offense. To me, that was inevitable. You would think the Bengals FO would get tired of Lamar making their run defense his property on a yearly basis.

We're really not far off from being serious contenders. Bring in: competent playcaller, WR, CB, and pass-rush and we're straight.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
There's a Bengals Youtuber that I listen to and on multiple occasions, he mentioned that Lou Anarumo (underrated DC imo) would have a day or two in the offseason where its devoted to none other than Lamar and the Ravens offense. To me, that was inevitable. You would think the Bengals FO would get tired of Lamar making their run defense his property on a yearly basis.

We're really not far off from being serious contenders. Bring in: competent playcaller, WR, CB, and pass-rush and we're straight.

we nearly won a playoff game with a backup QB on a bum shoulder, no WRs, a OC who's going to lose his job, and 1 healthy corner

yes we'll lose some pieces, but not enough to dramatically change the idea that with Lamar, we're instantly super bowl contenders every year

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
All these deal look ridiculous initially. The NFL just signed I think a 100 billion dollar tv deal. When Luck was paid people thought it was an absurd amount of money and right before he retired his deal looked like a steal. Lamar has shown he can at least carry the team the playoffs when healthy. Pay the man his money or someone else will. And good luck finding a good OC who's unsure of his qb situation with THIS wr room.
Brother is your picture the cop that has a train run on her in Tennessee?? Lol!