• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I should have clarified: the position of franchise QB.
I think in ten years there will be multiple QBs with fully gtd deals, however it won't be the norm. It'll be reserved for the Mahomes-type players.

The only way that increases is if people start doing the Cousins/Rodgers model. QBs start doing away with signing 5-6 year extensions and start doing 2-3 year extensions that are fully gtd. That I could see happening.

The downside of the latter is lack of cap flexibility on the part of the team. And basically every other season you're having to renegotiate with your franchise QB.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
$46-48M in AAV, with 50% guaranteed at signing and probably 75-80% fully guaranteed.

At that point it really just depends on # of years.

On a 5 year... $235M, $120M gtd at signing, around $175M total guaranteed.

Would put him #3 in AAV and guaranteed money.
Well, they offered him $133M gtd at signing and he rejected it...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think in ten years there will be multiple QBs with fully gtd deals, however it won't be the norm. It'll be reserved for the Mahomes-type players.

The only way that increases is if people start doing the Cousins/Rodgers model. QBs start doing away with signing 5-6 year extensions and start doing 2-3 year extensions that are fully gtd. That I could see happening.

The downside of the latter is lack of cap flexibility on the part of the team. And basically every other season you're having to renegotiate with your franchise QB.
in 10 years there may be changes in the cba that allow for these guaranteed contracts. Not sure it will happen, but the more it plays out, the more likely it would be to happen.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well, they offered him $133M gtd at signing and he rejected it...
You're assuming a) that offer was real and b) that he rejected it for that reason. My guess would be that has nothing to do with the reason he rejected it.

To put it bluntly... if he thinks he's getting the Watson deal, I'd bet a large sum of money he won't. From the Ravens or anybody else.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
You're assuming a) that offer was real and b) that he rejected it for that reason. My guess would be that has nothing to do with the reason he rejected it.

To put it bluntly... if he thinks he's getting the Watson deal, I'd bet a large sum of money he won't. From the Ravens or anybody else.
Unless it is the Browns who decide they need another QB

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Not sure if anyone listened to RG3 on Rich Eisen the other day, but he said the reason Lamar didn't travel with the team wasn't due to his injury. He was sick. He would have liked to be with the team.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor

I hope there are bookies that would take your bet and get all your money, you arrogant man! ;)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I'd agree that the Ravens aren't going to give him a fully guaranteed contract, but I wouldn't put it past another team getting desperate.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
in 10 years there may be changes in the cba that allow for these guaranteed contracts. Not sure it will happen, but the more it plays out, the more likely it would be to happen.
Right, my point is those changes are going to require significant concessions by both sides, and potentially a labor stoppage to force it.

If there's actual CBA discussions, it will almost certainly be towards fully gtd contracts for all, not just for a small group of players. That will never get past the Union head.

If they actually manage to get the Owners to agree to fully gtd contracts, they're going to need to make huge concessions. The biggest would almost certainly be a reduced cut of the Revenue pool. So then it becomes a question of whether or not the reduced cut of revenue they'd get is greater or less than the fully gtd portions of contracts they'd receive.

I'd agree that the Ravens aren't going to give him a fully guaranteed contract, but I wouldn't put it past another team getting desperate.
Yeah you have to assume that some team will get desperate. The Watson deal is so dumb (for the Browns) on so many levels. According to sportrac there is verbiage in that deal that guarantees money even if Watson is suspended. No protection for player investments. And it hasn’t taken long for other teams (us) to be faced with negotiating fully guaranteed contracts. Assuming that Lamar wants a fully guaranteed deal. Can of worms has been opened, thanks to the mistake by the lake.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not sure if anyone listened to RG3 on Rich Eisen the other day, but he said the reason Lamar didn't travel with the team wasn't due to his injury. He was sick. He would have liked to be with the team.
Lamar getting sick before a big game??? He was just staying in form lol

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Trevor Lawrence now has as many playoff wins as Lamar .This should not be.

That performance against the Chargers reminded me of Vinny Testeverde! 4 picks and 4 td throws LOL

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

He won’t get it from the ravens, but someone will do it.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
He won’t get it from the ravens, but someone will do it.
Maybe. I don't think they will. I think fans are severely overestimating the desire for Owners to win at all costs, and severely underestimating the desire for Owners to be highly profitable and not send trends that will cost their franchise heaps in the future.

If I'm Lamar, I'm damn well making sure I sign before Burrow and Herbert do. Burrow especially. Because I 100% guarantee that neither of those owners are giving either one of those QBs the Watson deal, and if they don't and Lamar still is unsigned, the Watson deal comparison goes completely down the toilet.

Simba

Staff Member
I think the big thing with Lamar and getting fully guaranteed elsewhere is that teams had an opportunity to do it for Watson and didn’t. And pretty much all of those teams that were trying for Watson would theoretically also be in on Lamar if he was available. All of these teams had an opportunity to match Cleveland and opted not to.

With that being said, Lamar doesn’t have the off field stuff, but I’m still not sure owners are green lighting that.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe. I don't think they will. I think fans are severely overestimating the desire for Owners to win at all costs, and severely underestimating the desire for Owners to be highly profitable and not send trends that will cost their franchise heaps in the future.

If I'm Lamar, I'm damn well making sure I sign before Burrow and Herbert do. Burrow especially. Because I 100% guarantee that neither of those owners are giving either one of those QBs the Watson deal, and if they don't and Lamar still is unsigned, the Watson deal comparison goes completely down the toilet.
Damn right about this .

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think the big thing with Lamar and getting fully guaranteed elsewhere is that teams had an opportunity to do it for Watson and didn’t. And pretty much all of those teams that were trying for Watson would theoretically also be in on Lamar if he was available. All of these teams had an opportunity to match Cleveland and opted not to.

With that being said, Lamar doesn’t have the off field stuff, but I’m still not sure owners are green lighting that.

i think the thing about the watson deal was that no one saw that coming

but now it's there, idk that there arent multiple teams that would do it for someone like Lamar

just think with watson, no one else imagined it