• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Just in the AFC during his career: Tom Brady and Peyton Manning by far I would trust more with the ball with 2 minutes to go (Brady having won 2 SBs doing just that).

If we are not going to count the last 4 years of Ben, you probably also do not want to count the first 5-6 as he was, to put it kindly, bad. After he stopped holding the ball awhile the sacks came down, the turnovers came down (mostly), and he looked solid until around 2018. So basically we have a 7 year run where he was borderline top 5 (but never top 4 by anyone's estimation) sandwiched in between 2 bad periods, the first of which where they had a dominant defense that he just had to avoid costing games, and the second where he was okay but not great and so they could not really be anything meaningful.

If we are honestly saying borderline top 5 at your position for a few years is HoF worthy then we might need to double or triple the size of each entry class. Ben was a good player, and at times a great player, but not a HoF player. There is this weird movement to turn the HoF into basically a QB participation trophy where if you were a QB for a long time that somehow translates to the HoF, despite the fact that every other position you are looking at multiple first team all pro's in order to be considered.
Ah once again adreme is making up his own arbitrary metrics so that he can pretend to be some sort of gatekeeper

Tank

Hall of Famer
This shit is madness. Ben roethlisberger, as much as I hate the son of a bitch, is a slam dunk first ballot, and one of the all time great qbs. He has to be top 5 all time in all of these categories: toughness, clutch, pocket presence, play extending, scramble drill throws, and play recognition(maybe 5-10 for that last one, but he’s up there)

I don’t know how ravens fans of all people could deny Ben’s greatness, we played him better than any team out there and he still undoubtedly had our number for his entire career, and consistently in the biggest moments of the absolute biggest games.
Don't you know you can't be a HOF QB unless you get them fantasy points! geez

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
not so sure I believe Lombardi's rhetoric
I don’t think it lines up that way. Think it’s more posturing what people think the Ravens should do vs. demands. Find it hard to believe we’d be in on Sutton and all of the other reported guys if Lamar demanded two specific guys. Feel like it’s much more likely that Lamar said get me some weapons rather than narrowing down to specific guys.
I lean towards the information being solid if it was enough for Sarah put it out there

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
One word: jealousy! He would have looked so much better in purple and black.
Truth , Ben was the solidifying force we never had until Flacco. Even after Flacco it was still somewhat rough because Ben always seemed a little better

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ah once again adreme is making up his own arbitrary metrics so that he can pretend to be some sort of gatekeeper
Yes silly me wanting a HoF player to at some point be considered the best at their position or even top 3. I guess you would prefer for QBs the HoF be a participation trophy that says you played a long time so we can pretend you belong in the same club as the all time greats.

Sorry I am not lowering the standard because the player is the face of the franchise. If we honestly took what Ben was a QB and extrapolated it to every other position, we would need to triple the size of the induction class to fit all the HoF players we would have to put in. Sorry I kind of agree with Deion's take that there are too many guys in, or going to be, in the Hall who were just good players and maybe even very good but its not the Hall of Very Good.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Yes silly me wanting a HoF player to at some point be considered the best at their position or even top 3. I guess you would prefer for QBs the HoF be a participation trophy that says you played a long time so we can pretend you belong in the same club as the all time greats.

Sorry I am not lowering the standard because the player is the face of the franchise. If we honestly took what Ben was a QB and extrapolated it to every other position, we would need to triple the size of the induction class to fit all the HoF players we would have to put in. Sorry I kind of agree with Deion's take that there are too many guys in, or going to be, in the Hall who were just good players and maybe even very good but its not the Hall of Very Good.
Top 3, top 5 or whatever shouldn't come down to the arbitrary rankings. Who else is on the list matters. eg. A Top 3/5 ILB right now isn't going to Canton, because it isn't a strong position at the moment. Rapelisberger was 5th behind 3 people who were talked about as maybe the Goat (Brady, Manning, Rodgers) plus Brees, who retired owning almost every single counting stat. 5th behind them might have been 2nd (or even 1st) in another era.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
This shit is madness. Ben roethlisberger, as much as I hate the son of a bitch, is a slam dunk first ballot, and one of the all time great qbs. He has to be top 5 all time in all of these categories: toughness, clutch, pocket presence, play extending, scramble drill throws, and play recognition(maybe 5-10 for that last one, but he’s up there)

I don’t know how ravens fans of all people could deny Ben’s greatness, we played him better than any team out there and he still undoubtedly had our number for his entire career, and consistently in the biggest moments of the absolute biggest games.
Yall buggin. This is obvious Stockholm syndrome bullshit.

If Ben is easily first ballot so is Eli Manning...

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
She didn't put it out as her own reporting. She was just doing her 'Late for Work' thing of passing on what's being said.
She tweeted a clip of her discussing the subject on a podcast and certainly didn’t deny it. For her to go along with it and then tweet it tells me she thinks it’s legit

Simba

Staff Member
I lean towards the information being solid if it was enough for Sarah put it out there
Sarah posts anything and everything Ravens related. She simply posted a clip. She wasn't corroborating any reports, nor should she be. She doesn't have that type of access.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Uh... Lamar what do you want at this point?

v6w254wv6cua1.jpg

Your standard is pretty high. He’s #5 all time passing yards, #8 all time passing TD’s, #6 all time playoff victories. He’s top 10 in almost every measurable metric there is for QB’s. He’s a lock to go first ballot. Or I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Your standard is pretty high. He’s #5 all time passing yards, #8 all time passing TD’s, #6 all time playoff victories. He’s top 10 in almost every measurable metric there is for QB’s. He’s a lock to go first ballot. Or I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t.
Victories are not a QB stat anymore than they are a guard stat or a kicker stat.

In terms of numbers, Philip Rivers is 6th in TDs and yards, Matt Ryan is 9th in TDs and 7th in yards and neither one is going to the HoF. The numbers are relative to the era in which the player played and passing numbers are way up. The only reason to argue Ben is in the HoF and the other 2 are not is that Ben got to be carried by the Steelers defense early in his career to more playoff success, because those first 5 years he was not playing well by any metric, but having better teammates, especially in a unit you do not play on, is not a good metric for being a HoF player.

Eli, Russell Wilson, Ben, Stafford, Rivers, and Ryan were great players but they were not HoF players. Being a long reigning franchise QB in the modern NFL means you will have great numbers but HoF is relative to the era in which you played and none of them were standouts in their own era.

redrum52

Hall of Famer

Victories are not a QB stat anymore than they are a guard stat or a kicker stat.

In terms of numbers, Philip Rivers is 6th in TDs and yards, Matt Ryan is 9th in TDs and 7th in yards and neither one is going to the HoF. The numbers are relative to the era in which the player played and passing numbers are way up. The only reason to argue Ben is in the HoF and the other 2 are not is that Ben got to be carried by the Steelers defense early in his career to more playoff success, because those first 5 years he was not playing well by any metric, but having better teammates, especially in a unit you do not play on, is not a good metric for being a HoF player.

Eli, Russell Wilson, Ben, Stafford, Rivers, and Ryan were great players but they were not HoF players. Being a long reigning franchise QB in the modern NFL means you will have great numbers but HoF is relative to the era in which you played and none of them were standouts in their own era.
The standards are supposed to be high for the NFL HoF. This isn't the NBA.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Top 3, top 5 or whatever shouldn't come down to the arbitrary rankings. Who else is on the list matters. eg. A Top 3/5 ILB right now isn't going to Canton, because it isn't a strong position at the moment. Rapelisberger was 5th behind 3 people who were talked about as maybe the Goat (Brady, Manning, Rodgers) plus Brees, who retired owning almost every single counting stat. 5th behind them might have been 2nd (or even 1st) in another era.
Perfectly said. the 5th best qb is far more valuable than the 2nd best player at any position in the NFL.

Ben lead the league in passing yards twice, and the steelers had the most explosive, terrifying offense in the league from 2014-2018

people for years have talked about their "insane ability to develop wrs" - hmmm I wonder if the BEST BACK YARD FOOTBALL player ever had something to do with that.

if you saw captain fat fuck scramble and point downfield, you knew your team was done

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Man. I went back and looked at playoff numbers too. Also at how far he went. You all need to be drug tested. The pieces he had on offense and what success came from it? Gtfoh. Most of yall are throwing the cape on cause of what he did against us and plenty of those games we choked.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
5th all time in passing yards
5th all time in completions
8th all time in passing TDS

2 time superbowl winner, 3 time afc champ, 8 AFC north champs, 12 postseason trips

and we can only thank Brady for Ben not having twice the superbowl appearances.

He was streaky during regular seasons which didn't allow him to put up First team all pro annually, but his best ball from 2014-2018 was better than any other qbs.

you need to stop smoking crack if that isn't the headliner of a first ballot hof class.

Oh let me add the greatest throw and catch of all time to win the superbowl.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Man. I went back and looked at playoff numbers too. Also at how far he went. You all need to be drug tested. The pieces he had on offense and what success came from it? Gtfoh. Most of yall are throwing the cape on cause of what he did against us and plenty of those games we choked.
the success? 2 superbowl rings and 3 appearances? playing his entire career in the peak of Tom Brady? HAHAHAH
you realize Brees and Rodgers combined for 2 superbowl appearances right