• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
@rossihunter2
Thanks for checking them out and for the encouragement. I appreciate it.

Yes, the more I think of it, he is holding the ball and waiting for the perfect route to come open. Or at least what he has in mind as an ideal route downfield. The thing is that stuff will open up, the more he gets the ball out quickly and the more he is decisive with his reads. Hit something as it comes open, as you said in particular on early downs.

One thing I might have mentioned is that he is rather loose with the ball in the pocket, at times because he is waiting on a late developing route instead of what he has in front of him and things begin to collapse around him.

I also took issue with how he was used on the final drive in regulation vs. KC. Even though there was only :48 on the clock I felt we took running off the table immediately even though we had two timeouts. We need to have at least moved the pocket with multi level drags in front of him where he has opportunity to run out of bounds, take off or get rid of the football if nothing is clear. Play calling left him out to dry and let the Chiefs pass rush pin their ears back. Again in that situation I wonder if Lamar is(was) holding the ball when he might have some stuff early but our play calls need to work to his strengths in that setting.
We needed that win. I think an even more athletic Russell Wilson is the goal.... a lofty one but...we'll see.

Crabcruncher

Practice Squad
The head coach of the Chargers just said on an interview that he hasn't seen an offense in the NFL like the Ravens since the 2011 Tebow led Broncos.
Now don't you feel stupid for deleting the LamarTebow 8 post.
Whether you like it or not, that's how the Ravens are rolling.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The head coach of the Chargers just said on an interview that he hasn't seen an offense in the NFL like the Ravens since the 2011 Tebow led Broncos.
By the way, Tebow said hes withholding judgement on Lamar until he plays the Tebow owned Steelers.
We are passing completing the ball a lot more than that offense, but it’s an interesting judgement by Lynn

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This is just not true. The numbers are nearly identical.
Meant to say the completion percentage was lower with Tebow, which was 46.5% in 2011. This was also his 2nd yr in the league where they made it to the playoffs and knocked the Steelers out.

In his rookie yr he started 3 games. The last three of the season in 2010.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

He and other analysts have noted that they’ve never seen anything like this ravens offence since tebow but that is in terms of style and scheme not in terms of play calling or quarterback play level - beyond the style of offence the similarities are mostly superficial

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Let’s jusf enjoy our young qb and not overly analyze his completion percentage and total yards per game. I’ve listed two really good QBs in their own right and am no way comparing them, but the stats below are interesting,

Joe Montana's rookie season:

13 of 23 (56.5%) for 96yds (4.2ypa) with 1 TD and 0 INTs, passer rating of 81.1

He was 23 yrs old, 2 years older than Lamar.

Steve Young's rookie season:

72 of 138 (52.2%) for 935yds (6.8ypa) with 3 TDs and 8 INTs, passer ratin

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2

Yes, the more I think of it, he is holding the ball and waiting for the perfect route to come open. Or at least what he has in mind as an ideal route downfield. The thing is that stuff will open up, the more he gets the ball out quickly and the more he is decisive with his reads. Hit something as it comes open, as you said in particular on early downs.

One thing I might have mentioned is that he is rather loose with the ball in the pocket, at times because he is waiting on a late developing route instead of what he has in front of him and things begin to collapse around him.

I also took issue with how he was used on the final drive in regulation vs. KC. Even though there was only :48 on the clock I felt we took running off the table immediately even though we had two timeouts. We need to have at least moved the pocket with multi level drags in front of him where he has opportunity to run out of bounds, take off or get rid of the football if nothing is clear. Play calling left him out to dry and let the Chiefs pass rush pin their ears back. Again in that situation I wonder if Lamar is(was) holding the ball when he might have some stuff early but our play calls need to work to his strengths in that setting.
We needed that win. I think an even more athletic Russell Wilson is the goal.... a lofty one but...we'll see.

The seam is the big one for me - Matt Waldman did some breakdowns of him a few weeks ago (I can’t remember which game - I think it was probably the falcons) where the seam was open at least 3-4 times and Lamar never really saw it

Given the resources we’ve now invested into good seam route runners - Snead, Andrews and Hurst and how open they are consistently getting open for potential big gainers (the proviso being that the last 5 games have mostly been against poor or undermanned defences) - this to me feels like it could be an enormous boon to his development if he can improve how he reads just those sorts of routes and combinations

In many other situations I’ve been impressed by how he improves how he reads series-by-series - he seems to pick up minutiae well and improve and adjust - if he’s late on a read the drive before and he gets a similar look he’s much quicker at pulling the trigger and ball placement etc.

This is why ultimately I think even if we don’t make the playoffs just the live reps of these 7 games is going to make an exponential difference in his growth because he seemingly learns so well based on mistakes (big and small) and he’s getting the chance to see things he never would from the sidelines or running the scout team

flynismo

Practice Squad
these are the very comments that were made against him because of his manner of speech before the draft.

has nothing to do with his play. cut that shit out

I said he seems dumb as bricks, because well, he seems dumb as bricks. Think of it like the dumb rednecks who can tear down and rebuild a motor in a day. Just because a Spaghetti-O eating twat like Cleetus shows an inclination towards working on a complex system like an engine, it doesn't mean he has an IQ above room temperature. Much like some of the Lamar fellaters I know who get their feelings hurt if someone says anything remotely disparaging about him. So you'll have to excuse me if I really don't give a shit if you like it or not. This isn't an echo chamber or group think where we must all conform and have the same lame opinions.

Last edited:

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
From an anything standpoint
From an anything standpoint? So you’d be on board if the only comparable to Russell Wilson is from a WAG standpoint and not production ON THE FIELD? You’re an absolute fool DeVito. Completely and utterly stupid. I’m ashamed.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I said he seems dumb as bricks, because well, he seems dumb as bricks. Think of it like the dumb rednecks who can tear down and rebuild a motor in a day. Just because a Spaghetti-O eating twat like Cleetus shows an inclination towards working on a complex system like an engine, it doesn't mean he has an IQ above room temperature. Much like some of the Lamar felaters I know who get their feelings hurt if someone says anything remotely disparaging about him. So you'll have to excuse me if I really don't give a shit if you like it or not. This isn't an echo chamber or group think where we must all conform and have the same lame opinions.
You're just "another one of those people". lol

bye the bye..... two lls in fellaters.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
From an anything standpoint? So you’d be on board if the only comparable to Russell Wilson is from a WAG standpoint and not production ON THE FIELD? You’re an absolute fool DeVito. Completely and utterly stupid. I’m ashamed.
Damn you dom

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
@rossihunter2

"Hit something as it comes open, as you said in particular on early downs." - in other words, become Flacco on early downs by checking down. While I think it is a good idea, I think we underestimate the ability of Lamar to extend plays. So, it may actually be okay for him to wait for routes to develop but more importantly he needs to convert those throws... we'll see I guess but great work by both you and @rosshunter2

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Let’s jusf enjoy our young qb and not overly analyze his completion percentage and total yards per game. I’ve listed two really good QBs in their own right and am no way comparing them, but the stats below are interesting,

Joe Montana's rookie season:

13 of 23 (56.5%) for 96yds (4.2ypa) with 1 TD and 0 INTs, passer rating of 81.1

He was 23 yrs old, 2 years older than Lamar.

Steve Young's rookie season:

72 of 138 (52.2%) for 935yds (6.8ypa) with 3 TDs and 8 INTs, passer ratin
How much does this offense put you I in the mind of what you witnessed with Griffin/Alfred Morris in their first year?

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I said he seems dumb as bricks, because well, he seems dumb as bricks. Think of it like the dumb rednecks who can tear down and rebuild a motor in a day. Just because a Spaghetti-O eating twat like Cleetus shows an inclination towards working on a complex system like an engine, it doesn't mean he has an IQ above room temperature. Much like some of the Lamar fellaters I know who get their feelings hurt if someone says anything remotely disparaging about him. So you'll have to excuse me if I really don't give a shit if you like it or not. This isn't an echo chamber or group think where we must all conform and have the same lame opinions.

Lamar has a challenge ahead of him that is for sure. Hopefully, he and the Ravens can overcome it and get that "W". Per text:

Jackson has played a handful of the worst defenses in the NFL, a near-perfect initiation for the No. 32 overall pick. That fortuitous streak ends Saturday night, when Jackson faces the Los Angeles Chargers and his first top-10 defense.

"I feel like that's going to be the fastest team we face all season," Jackson said. "All 11 to the ball at all times. They're flying around, making plays [and] making turnovers. They're a good defense."

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-...WMMyRpw-v582oOd-_Xzbh3hPMf4jeYSDio7sC7SGnRnL4

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
If there was any game to unleash Hayden Hurst in then this would be that game. Let Thor bring the hammer down on the Chargers' defense!