• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Regardless of my frustration with Jackson, the offense and its playcaller today, we dont get to the playoffs without Jackson and the style that he brings on the field which enabled the defense to stay fresh and play to their potential.

Something has to give though . We can't go through 3 quarters with -2 passing yards. We have to assume that every team we come up against from now on will have a way to stop Jackson and the offense. The coaches - whoever they may be next season - needs to come up with a better game plan for when things are going downhill in a game. Today, they failed completely.

I felt bad for Jackson with all of those booes, I hope for his sake that he understands why thee was frustration.
He's a really cool kid handling the question about the boos. As for the boos themselves it is what it is. To be QB in this league you need to have a thick skin and take it when the chips are down. If you aren't up to it, then it isn't a job for you. Otherwise I think he did well to come back in the second half and got us to within a TD of the Chargers with 45 secs left. With better protection who knows what would've happened? It's all in the past now but I'm hopeful for next season with a full OTA and Take care. for Lamar and the offense. My gut tells me Marty will be reassigned and Greg Roman will take over as OC.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Lmao not like Jimmy has the best history in verbal arguments. The way he played today, combined with his contract and how he never plays a full year, I wouldn’t be upset for his ass to leave
You’d be upset when a backup caliber corner gives up a game winner that jimmy likely doesn’t give up

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Atleast I’d know that corner will be active

No way he gives two “healthy” or non abusing seasons in a row
Regardless, our defense has shown a trend of going from a top 5 unit to an average unit the second jimmy goes down, and we also saw a SHARP improvement in our overall defense when jimmy got his legs under him.

The secondary is the strongest part of this team without question, and weddle and Jefferson are likely gone, do you wanna get rid of both starting safeties and your #2 corner who was your #1 up until last year? I mean he’s still playing like a decent #1 and is one of the best 2s in the league. You don’t completely dismantle the biggest strength of your team.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Regardless, our defense has shown a trend of going from a top 5 unit to an average unit the second jimmy goes down, and we also saw a SHARP improvement in our overall defense when jimmy got his legs under him.

The secondary is the strongest part of this team without question, and weddle and Jefferson are likely gone, do you wanna get rid of both starting safeties and your #2 corner who was your #1 up until last year? I mean he’s still playing like a decent #1 and is one of the best 2s in the league. You don’t completely dismantle the biggest strength of your team.
I do agree our dbs are easy the best group we have. If we get rid of Flacco’s contract I’d have no problem keeping jimmy. He is very good when he does play (except today damn)
Tony won’t be gone as it doesn’t make sense cap wise I believe. Weddle idk. We have so many cap moves to make this offseason it’s going to be tough

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I do agree our dbs are easy the best group we have. If we get rid of Flacco’s contract I’d have no problem keeping jimmy. He is very good when he does play (except today damn)
Tony won’t be gone as it doesn’t make sense cap wise I believe. Weddle idk. We have so many cap moves to make this offseason it’s going to be tough

Am I going crazy or was jimmy really not that bad today?

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Yes I'm upset about the fumbles and rightfully so. We all should be, he has done this in so many games that you think there would be an emphasis on ball control to reduce the amount of fumbles. Yet it seems nothing was done and he kept fumbling. He does deserve criticism for it but Marty's play calling left him so restricted it was like he was handcuffed.

I just hope we get him a true OC to develop him as a passer, because as we saw today him running majority of the time is not going to work. Then it didn't help the FO did nothing to improve the offensive line knowing the type of player Lamar was when we drafted him. Even then, he can't develop as a passer if the OL gives him no time to find someone down the field. I think we are in good hands with Lamar but the coaching has got to change in order for him to develop properly.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yes I'm upset about the fumbles and rightfully so. We all should be, he has done this in so many games that you think there would be an emphasis on ball control to reduce the amount of fumbles. Yet it seems nothing was done and he kept fumbling. He does deserve criticism for it but Marty's play calling left him so restricted it was like he was handcuffed.

I just hope we get him a true OC to develop him as a passer, because as we saw today him running majority of the time is not going to work. Then it didn't help the FO did nothing to improve the offensive line knowing the type of player Lamar was when we drafted him. Even then, he can't develop as a passer if the OL gives him no time to find someone down the field. I think we are in good hands with Lamar but the coaching has got to change in order for him to develop properly.

Harbs actively addresses that first point and mentioned that as a team that plays this style we really should have an emphasis on being a great ball-handling team and we’ve had troubles with it

And he said part of that is because the handoffs and mesh points and snaps are all in different places and timings etc to what we practiced for almost the entire offseason so they just haven’t had the reps to be a great ball handling offence because despite playing this offence they don’t really get a huge amount of time to practice basic skills during the year and the bye was mostly a resting week

So it will inevitably be a major focus of this off-season

I’m glad harbs addressed it and why it’s been such a major factor - they will be getting the reps this off-season

Absolutely agree. I think we are going to work to keep this defense together but might shed 1 or 2 vets so that we can keep the unit strong but gradually work toward bringing in a little more youth. I think we use Flacco $ to retain Mosley.

I'm curious.

Why is it that if we complained about the OL, OC or WRs when Flacco was starting, certain people would claim you are making excuses and are an apologist and Flacco needs everything handed to him to be successful, but yet some of those same people are doing exactly that with Lamar?
When Flacco was winning left and right, it was a "team game because Qbs don't get credit for team victories", but 'Lamar is 6-2' when it is clear that the defense carried us to where we are?

Just so we're clear. Until Lamar accomplishes 1/10th of what Flacco did, he has some huge shoes to fill and a high standard to live up to.
Flacco has always been a weird case of a QB that didn’t follow the rule of QBs get all the credit and all the blame. He definitely didn’t get enough credit when we were winning but got lots of blame when we lost.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a long time. Finally this season as things started to slip again I felt his time was up.

I will make no excuses for Lamar except for one: he’s a rookie and today he really did look like one. I do think he’s got a lot to work on but a lot to offer. Yes the D was instrumental but I think he was a major reason for our success down the stretch. Don’t ask me just ask our players.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Flacco has always been a weird case of a QB that didn’t follow the rule of QBs get all the credit and all the blame. He definitely didn’t get enough credit when we were winning but got lots of blame when we lost.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a long time. Finally this season as things started to slip again I felt his time was up.

I will make no excuses for Lamar except for one: he’s a rookie and today he really did look like one. I do think he’s got a lot to work on but a lot to offer. Yes the D was instrumental but I think he was a major reason for our success down the stretch. Don’t ask me just ask our players.
To be fair, Joe also got plenty of credit as a winner when all he did was not lose a game.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He wasn’t at all. He lost the ball once with great positioning, that shit happens, and playing aggressive and downhill he got caught over the top by a step.

Jimmy always has been and always will be irrational punching bag #2 in Baltimore after the qb

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
He really wasn't besides the couple big plays given up, which I attribute to the fact that they were on the field the whole time.
Well shit guys I couldn’t see from all the way up there, I Just piggy backed on what others said. I’m sure the main thing is him being matched up single with the best guy on a lot of plays. And offense will get a few first downs eventually. I just hate how unreliable, what he could have been is maybe even hof type

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
He really wasn't besides the couple big plays given up, which I attribute to the fact that they were on the field the whole time.
Well shit guys I couldn’t see from all the way up there, I Just piggy backed on what others said. I’m sure the main thing is him being matched up single with the best guy on a lot of plays. And offense will get a few first downs eventually. I just hate how unreliable, what he could have been is maybe even hof type

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Lol rule #1 of ravens fandom...

Don’t take the word of ANY stranger you meet at the game, especially when it’s about joe flacco, lamar Jackson, jimmy smith, or Marlon Humphrey, because those 4 guys will never NOT be bashed inexplicably