• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Back when we first drafted Lamar the grip caught my attention. Hadn't really paid attention before so I did a google search and looked at images (think I searched something like: NFL QB throwing grips). Looking at the pictures, he's not. There's variation but a lot of QBs hold the ball similar. I think I remember Rivers, Mahomes, Brady, Warner, Wilson all had very similar grips.
warner has said himself that he held the ball the same as Jackson

Tank

Hall of Famer
Back when we first drafted Lamar the grip caught my attention. Hadn't really paid attention before so I did a google search and looked at images (think I searched something like: NFL QB throwing grips). Looking at the pictures, he's not. There's variation but a lot of QBs hold the ball similar. I think I remember Rivers, Mahomes, Brady, Warner, Wilson all had very similar grips.
Finger on the tip of the ball? Really?

Tank

Hall of Famer
usa_today_10702770.0.jpg

4-philip-rivers-092515-getty-ftrjpg_1l615tlkpiiiw166wgrtwpytnf.jpg

USATSI_8296419.jpg

204bb74c393bb0a7f08ccc1079ebd0de.jpg

t_e6001e93662f4c49bd86037573cbbdb1_name_Ravens_Dolphins_Football_80167_scaled.jpg

DMH_in_WA

Practice Squad
Lmaoo lamar grip isnt even close to theirs but ive seen different pics of kurt’s grip and it is simialr but rest of theirs are very very different

He wasn't asking about the full grip. He asked if he was the only one that placed his index finger there. Similar <> Exact. River's looks like I mis-remembered the name (it was 2 years ago), but you can find images showing the slight variations of each QBs own grip and we're talking what, half a finger's width in variation on index finger position for some.

14345255-large.jpg

0ap2000000146400_video_cp.jpg

Patrick%20Mahomes%204%20-%20Isaiah%20J.%20Downing-USA%20TODAY%20Sports_1.jpg

fcc02470e54ecee8352e08dd95eaa4800cb8ec5d.jpg

0ap3000001014417.jpg

Going way back
Terry-Bradshaw1.jpg

895550fca6f690a43513199de93b286e--steelers-stuff-football-stuff.jpg

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
For like the millionth time, who cares how Lamar holds the football as long as it gets to where it needs to go? Seeing as how he's about to get the MVP award, his grip is obviously working out for him pretty damn well so far.

Tank

Hall of Famer
He wasn't asking about the full grip. He asked if he was the only one that placed his index finger there. Similar <> Exact. River's looks like I mis-remembered the name (it was 2 years ago), but you can find images showing the slight variations of each QBs own grip and we're talking what, half a finger's width in variation on index finger position for some.

14345255-large.jpg

0ap3000001014417.jpg

Going way back
Terry-Bradshaw1.jpg

Yeah I think it's because of the arm angles and "wobbles" LJ has at times that makes the grip and index finger look strange. At the end of the day it doesn't matter as long as it works.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
For like the millionth time, who cares how Lamar holds the football as long as it gets to where it needs to go? Seeing as how he's about to get the MVP award, his grip is obviously working out for him pretty damn well so far.

joshua harris has even said he's not going to try and get lamar to change it either - if it was a major issue the coaches would be working round the clock with him to change it the same way they did with his footwork and base

DMH_in_WA

Practice Squad
Yeah I think it's because of the arm angles and "wobbles" LJ has at times that makes the grip and index finger look strange. At the end of the day it doesn't matter as long as it works.

I didn't want to assume why the original question was asked (the guy in me who is tired of hearing people try to pick this man apart immediately goes to "it's being asked for a negative reason", but that's not fair) so I just answered the question that was asked. :D

End of the day, Lamar has outperformed every expectation of him and I still don't even see his ceiling.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

14345255-large.jpg

0ap3000001014417.jpg

Going way back
Terry-Bradshaw1.jpg

Yea but lamar actually throws the ball like that. With his index finger at the point.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Yea i def agree.. if he can continue to improve on it, it shouldnt even matter.. however, im guessing the reason why he throws side arm and all those crazy angles is to prevent that wobbly ball.. its much harder to change the way he holds the ball than to throw at angles in which it works for him.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
If people wanna act like his ball placement doesnt need to be worked on, so be it. As someone that wants to see him get better... aint no way i can tell myself that lie.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yea i def agree.. if he can continue to improve on it, it shouldnt even matter.. however, im guessing the reason why he throws side arm and all those crazy angles is to prevent that wobbly ball.. its much harder to change the way he holds the ball than to throw at angles in which it works for him.

he throws those crazy angles to create extra space and lanes to get the ball through - oftentimes those arm angles are allowing him to fit the ball into a space that he wouldnt have been able to otherwise without the ball likely getting batted

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
he throws those crazy angles to create extra space and lanes to get the ball through - oftentimes those arm angles are allowing him to fit the ball into a space that he wouldnt have been able to otherwise without the ball likely getting batted
Yea but sometimes i see him throwing like that even when he doesnt have to so thats why i was thinking that way

DMH_in_WA

Practice Squad
If people wanna act like his ball placement doesnt need to be worked on, so be it. As someone that wants to see him get better... aint no way i can tell myself that lie.

No one anywhere has said that Lamar doesn't need to work on his passing. Lamar himself has said as much over and over. It's the first thing he said when they asked him what he will be doing this off-season. 'Working on everything. Passing, footwork, everything.' You're making a straw man argument against something that no one has said.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yea but sometimes i see him throwing like that even when he doesnt have to so thats why i was thinking that way
It’s an anticipation thing, he anticipates what he anticipates, sometimes he’s wrong and the defender doesn’t do what he’s feeling and he uses the arm angle anyway, mostly no harm no foul.

and frankly, the improv releases are one of the things that makes Lamar a face of the league type of player, some of those rollouts and shovels or quick shotputs over the edge defenders head, that kinda shit is next level and definitely not something I’d complain about.