• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Huntley arm strength sucked as you and others mentioned many times. But Huntley definitely played better behind the line. That's why I say Roman takes most of the blame for not adjusting when Lamar was struggling but to act like Lamar didn't regress the second half of the season is being blind.
he constantly had happy feet. Not sure how you can say that. Also didn't get pressured as much as Lamar. Defenses played him much differently.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think we need to have a better backup in the situation Lamar misses an extended period. I like Huntley for a game or two, but we can do better.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Again, can’t believe the harsh judgement of a 23 year old inexperienced UDFA that was thrust into must win situations under the worst of circumstances. It really is laughable.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Again, can’t believe the harsh judgement of a 23 year old inexperienced UDFA that was thrust into must win situations under the worst of circumstances. It really is laughable.
fall from grace. A few weeks ago, people were giving him the yellow jacket.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

Everything you're saying is true though. Young, inexperienced, UDFA, terrible line, etc. That doesn't mean he didn't play poorly though. As I said earlier, I think I was too harsh on him because of these things. God forbid Lamar is hurt again, but if he is, I'd like to see Huntley in action during not so horrible of circumstances. With a healthy team around him, that would give us the data as to whether or not he should be the long term backup.

Tank

Hall of Famer
fall from grace. A few weeks ago, people were giving him the yellow jacket.
what "people"? lol Never did read any of that. I did read a lot of stuff where people were happy for him, being a UDFA and all.

Whether you like it or not the kid did remarkably well in some extremely tough situations, showed a lot of poise and intelligence. He's hardly "fall(en) from grace"

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
what "people"? lol Never did read any of that. I did read a lot of stuff where people were happy for him, being a UDFA and all.

Whether you like it or not the kid did remarkably well in some extremely tough situations, showed a lot of poise and intelligence. He's hardly "fall(en) from grace"
I'm exaggerating and it wasn't on this board where people were calling for him to take over as starter.

Simba

Staff Member
Huntley is more than fine as a backup. Despite whatever flaws he has... he did his job which was to come in and keep us competitive. If Lamar has to miss 3 or 4 games next year and I have to watch Huntley start, I have no problems with that. But I see 0 evidence in his play that he's a long term starter here or anywhere in the league.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

it's missing this pretty important quote from huntley:
FItUOLrXsAIGRjA

where he says he saw it and decided the open receiver was not open - basically didnt trust himself to get the ball over the underneath defender to his first read who was wide open to the pylon

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
FItUOLrXsAIGRjA

where he says he saw it and decided the open receiver was not open - basically didnt trust himself to get the ball over the underneath defender to his first read who was wide open to the pylon

You’re a funny guy Rossi

I think we can all agree and stop the back and forth with the Lamar and Huntley talk. Is Huntley better than Lamar No! Of course not.. Did Lamar suck ass in the second half of season yes...... Did Huntley play good as the back up yes.... He was better poised, decisive, while Lamar was the one with Happy feet, bad mechanics etc... was it enough to win unfortunately no... Does Lamar need to step up his game in passing heck yeah... we saw some flashes at the beginning of the year... but he needs to be consistent... we all want him to take the next step at passing and IF he does watch out there will be no stopping him....

End of discussion??? Yeah lol

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean is he?

tyrod
minshew
keenum
heinicke
mariota
brissett
mccoy
dalton
lock

and im not even including lance or someone like that

not saying these guys are just hanging on trees but it's not difficult to improve your backup situation if you're willing - the ravens just typically have not invested in that spot with cap space or draft picks
We could improve on Huntley but he was also a UDFA. As you say, those other guys a few of them were actual draft picks and some high picks at that. Granted, some were high picks YEARS ago but still high picks nevertheless. Their pay is also going to be higher too if they're veterans because even backup QBs don't come cheap. As you said, we just don't really invest there and I wouldn't unless we were stacked on our other spots. Right now, we need all those picks to retool the defense and help the OL. I know you're agreeing here, btw, more adding to the point.

I really don’t understand all of the scrutiny and criticism of Huntley. Outside of this place it’s pretty much the consensus he performed admirably in what was the toughest of situations for an inexperienced QB to be placed. Not sure why we can’t just be happy for him rather than pointing to every little flaw in what seems to be an attempt to defend Lamar. It’s my hope he remains the backup as he at the least can keep us competitive in relief.
Huntley was OK. He wasn't bad, wasn't great--he was OK. He did what you could hope he would do. He isn't Lamar Jackson and may never be, but we didn't ask him to be either. Not sure why some of the concepts we did with him were never done with Lamar, but that's another topic. I'd keep Huntley unless someone came offering a ridiculous 2nd round pick or something and then it's bye Felicia. Nobody is doing that, though. (don't get your hopes up, people--you know who you are [even if I don't know who you are--I know you are out there lol])

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
FItUOLrXsAIGRjA

But trusted himself to get the ball into triple coverage with no velocity

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I said this many times before-

If the conversation was simply that Huntley played admirably for a backup quarterback who went undrafted, you'd get zero push back. We'd all be like, "Yeah, that's true."

But the conversation didn't stop there.

Instead, a vocal minority that continued to grow started to question Lamar's ability, questioned if there should be a quarterback controversy, questioned whether the pick for Huntley would be a first or a second. I heard so much talk about how Huntley was reading defenses better and making better decisions. He was just so decisive and so certain of the offense.

The fact of the matter is that a portion of the fan base went way overboard and now they're getting absolutely pushed back on, and deservedly so.

Did Huntley play well for an UDFA? Sure. Did Huntley play well enough to vault himself into a starting spot on another team? Almost assuredly not.

And as far as I'm concerned, it's a moot point if he's the backup or not because the fact of the matter is there aren't 32 starting quality quarterbacks in the NFL. If your backup is starting for extended periods of time, you're in trouble no matter who your backup is 99% of the time.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Interesting