• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Simba

Staff Member
JK and likely Gus both would play well with another offensive system/QB. Bateman, Andrews, both the same thing. In fact, Bateman may actually be better in a different system honestly. Hollywood would probably be lesser off, but Proche would step up in a traditional offense. Honestly the only guy I'm seeing a big drop off from would in fact be Hollywood.

That's not my point here. Let's say you give Lamar two more years to prove it and then you decide you want to move on. First, you have to actually hit on a rookie QB which is already a really tough ask. But lets say you get that rookie QB... by time he develops (let's just say 2 years for the sake of argument), basically every single one of those guys is up for a contract. Now, I know you can afford them but that again is where you have to make a decision where you're going as an organization. Do you pay a bunch of guys who are approaching their late 20s in most cases big money to continue with that QB? You could argue yes, but you aren't signing them all and then you're in somewhat of a rebuild. That's why it's not as simple as Lamar or not Lamar and what so many people miss when talking about his contract.

To me, it's not even a debate. I'm paying Lamar and I'm paying him big money.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
thanks...

do you think mike preston has ever said anything nice about anything the ravens have ever done?
also anything that ever made sense when talking about the ravens?

because he used the words RPO QB and then suggested the packers, chiefs and bills are RPO QBs but not really while also then suggesting Kyler Murray is somehow a run-first QB and that's why he failed in the playoffs, and that jalen hurts and tua tagovailoa are somehow similar QBs (the only similarities they have are that they went to Bama and that they're incredibly incomplete QBs)

also suggesting that lamar is somehow a run first QB when one of the biggest frustrations people have had with Lamar is that he stays in the pocket too long and then suggesting that he's an ineffective pocket passer and a better thrower on the run when it has always been the opposite with lamar as a passer

thanks for posting but i wish i could take back the time it took me to read that useless drivel lol
Mike Preston once wrote that Ed Reed wasn't an exciting pick because his name was Edward Reed. Yes, an entire article about how he wasn't an exciting first round pick because of his name.

Maybe Preston is smart, but he's a lot like Stephen A that I don't take anything they say seriously. In the case of Preston, he's always the negative one and has to go against the grain. He is the antithesis of most Ravens writers. But it works because here we are talking about him.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
JK and likely Gus both would play well with another offensive system/QB. Bateman, Andrews, both the same thing. In fact, Bateman may actually be better in a different system honestly. Hollywood would probably be lesser off, but Proche would step up in a traditional offense. Honestly the only guy I'm seeing a big drop off from would in fact be Hollywood.
Gus was JAG on the team prior to Lamar coming in. Gus pretty much never touched the ball without Lamar. He was given an opportunity because Lamar opened the run game.

JK was CFBs leading rusher on RPOs and CFBs leading rusher out of the shotgun. He was absolutely drafted with Lamar in mind.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Gus was JAG on the team prior to Lamar coming in. Gus pretty much never touched the ball without Lamar. He was given an opportunity because Lamar opened the run game.

JK was CFBs leading rusher on RPOs and CFBs leading rusher out of the shotgun. He was absolutely drafted with Lamar in mind.
Lamar makes everyone around him better. IMO, that is the definition of elite.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I keep saying he is the second coming of MJ. Just wait and see. You'll understand why I said it and why I'm right. My son!

Please stop saying this shit. He isn’t even the best QB in the league today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank

Hall of Famer
But are they guys that fit with a rookie QB and that timeline? Not only is the offensive system built around Lamar, but the personnel around him was drafted to grow with him.

I'm not pretending concerns aren't there. Lamar needs to be better. But it's not as simple as substituting him out for someone else and plugging along. There are wholesale changes everywhere in the organization if that happens.
Wouldn’t necessarily have to be a rookie QB.

Lamar makes everyone around him better. IMO, that is the definition of elite.

No one outside the fan base thinks he's elite. Heck probably very few in the fan base thinks he's elite. He is good can play great at times, athletic as hell, best running QB can be argued, but elite nah. ...if he takes the next step in passing then maybe yes he will be considered elite.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
No one outside the fan base thinks he's elite. Heck probably very few in the fan base thinks he's elite. He is good can play great at times, athletic as hell, best running QB can be argued, but elite nah. ...if he takes the next step in passing then maybe yes he will be considered elite.

Yep. I’m all for paying him and continuity at the QB position , but he is very much overhyped by our fans. Great player, top 5 QB, entertaining as hell, but let’s not crown him the second coming of Jesus Christ just yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I wish we had Colts Lamar every game :(

Yeah. I like Lamar, and was touting him as the best QB of that draft even before we grabbed him, but before we call him elite he needs to do what Allen and Mahomes are doing in this game.

Definitely, I just don't think he has that "it" like those guys do.. I hope I'm wrong but he's definitely not even top 5 right now..

I really do like him, I like that he is a fighter and humble. I just want someone that can help him develop to the passer we want to see him be and I don't think it's Roman.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
we've just seen the blueprint - if we want to compete with the bills and chiefs in the division we've got to build a wall for lamar and time to find guys on these extended plays - allen and mahomes were able to consistently find guys open in space downfield because they had time in the pocket (and when they did face pressure they had easy escape routes)

now part of that is obviously you've got to earn the right to that time by discouraging the blitz (which means you've got to punish the blitz) but part of that also comes from getting consistent OL play too

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
we've just seen the blueprint - if we want to compete with the bills and chiefs in the division we've got to build a wall for lamar and time to find guys on these extended plays - allen and mahomes were able to consistently find guys open in space downfield because they had time in the pocket (and when they did face pressure they had easy escape routes)

now part of that is obviously you've got to earn the right to that time by discouraging the blitz (which means you've got to punish the blitz) but part of that also comes from getting consistent OL play too
And this is where our running game and time of possession have to be EXCELLENT. We have to limit the number of possessions for them. Speaking of which, how tf did our defense limit the Bills to only 13 points offensively last season?