• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
funny he had to explain that?
“The reason Lamar Jackson didn’t travel to the football game was because he was sick. They diagnosed this, said that he was sick, he didn’t go on the trip.” -RGIII
So if RGIII is telling the truth, Lamar is lying in the tweet saying his knee was the reason he didn't travel. Which is it??

Last edited:

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Uhh, no. The signing bonus is earnings because its earnings. Its money the player gets.
If Lamar got a $50M signing bonus today, he'd also get a very low base salary today. Which means he'd still be $20-30M behind Allen.

$ yesterday is worth more than $ today. That money can earn interest. That money can be used to buy things. No smart person on planet earth wants to get paid 2 years from now for work they did today.

AND, by the time Lamar is in the middle of whatever extension he signs, Allen will have a new contract, at a higher market value than whatever Lamar is making.

So basically, the only way Lamar is ever going to come close to making as much as Allen in lifetime earnings, is if he plays at least a couple years longer than Allen. Or he needs to sign a deal that's like 1.5-2x more than what Allen got, which isn't going to happen of course.

whoever is in his camp dropped the ball from that sense. Smart money is too sign as quick as possible to set up the next contract.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well considering that a number of people think he could've been able to play (he really couldn't), he really has to set the record so people can finally stop bitching about it.

I truly believe that was the last straw for Lamar. Harbaugh not nipping that narrative. He tried to put pressure on our franchise QB to go out there and play hurt. It got so loud, that Lamar had to tweet out his own injury to defend himself because his HC wouldn’t do it.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Uhh, no. The signing bonus is earnings because its earnings. Its money the player gets.
If Lamar got a $50M signing bonus today, he'd also get a very low base salary today. Which means he'd still be $20-30M behind Allen.

$ yesterday is worth more than $ today. That money can earn interest. That money can be used to buy things. No smart person on planet earth wants to get paid 2 years from now for work they did today.

AND, by the time Lamar is in the middle of whatever extension he signs, Allen will have a new contract, at a higher market value than whatever Lamar is making.

So basically, the only way Lamar is ever going to come close to making as much as Allen in lifetime earnings, is if he plays at least a couple years longer than Allen. Or he needs to sign a deal that's like 1.5-2x more than what Allen got, which isn't going to happen of course.

If Lamar got his 50m AAV, and lets make it a 4 year deal to balance it, he would make more under that contract then Allen did when he signed it 2 years ago. He probably makes enough under to make up for Lamar having a smaller rookie deal which neither side controlled, but that one is harder to show with math (he would make 26m more which I think is more than the rookie deal difference but its hard to say)

Meanwhile, if you are offering me a deal where I get lock in my raise now or I can wait 2 years and get 15% more (which is about what he would get if he took the deal in front of him) any sane person would take the latter. There are a lot of markets built on MUCH smaller average returns than that. The evidence of this is that Lamar played about as badly in those 2 years as was possible and he is still getting an offer that would put him ahead. The smart move financially was to wait but it was also to take the deal after waiting. Yes Allen got his signing bonus earlier but considering the stagnant market that 15% you get by waiting is simply better returns than you should expect.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I truly believe that was the last straw for Lamar. Harbaugh not nipping that narrative. He tried to put pressure on our franchise QB to go out there and play hurt. It got so loud, that Lamar had to tweet out his own injury to defend himself because his HC wouldn’t do it.
It wouldn't have mattered. Half the people in here spend the whole year bitching about Harbaugh lying to them about everything. But now we want him to be transparent about injuries and we're just going to take what he says as gospel?

Its a weird look from the fanbase to blame the HC for not being transparent about player injuries. A very weird look.

Its also a weird look for a QB who just demanded a trade to be spending literally any time, let alone the copious amounts of time he has, on Twitter defending himself against fans who don't pay his bills. I would think he'd be spending more time flying his ass to Arizona to speak with literally every single franchise that's currently there and convincing them to make an offer to him.

Or at least that's what I would expect a players agent to be doing...

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
If this is all because Lamar is not smart enough to understand that coaches are not going to give a straight answer about injuries to avoid giving a competitive advantage, then its due to Lamar's stupidity not Harbs using standard coach speak.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
If this is all because Lamar is not smart enough to understand that coaches are not going to give a straight answer about injuries to avoid giving a competitive advantage, then its due to Lamar's stupidity not Harbs using standard coach speak.
Harbaugh or any head coach never really go in detail with the media regarding a player injury. I get it as fans we want the head coach to be more open and transparent regarding the matter but most head coaches simply are not. If it's true that Lamar Jackson wants to be a Patriot then if he felt a certain way about Harbaugh not defending him then oooh boy he not ready for Bill .

Last edited:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Lamar got his 50m AAV, and lets make it a 4 year deal to balance it, he would make more under that contract then Allen did when he signed it 2 years ago. He probably makes enough under to make up for Lamar having a smaller rookie deal which neither side controlled, but that one is harder to show with math (he would make 26m more which I think is more than the rookie deal difference but its hard to say)

Meanwhile, if you are offering me a deal where I get lock in my raise now or I can wait 2 years and get 15% more (which is about what he would get if he took the deal in front of him) any sane person would take the latter. There are a lot of markets built on MUCH smaller average returns than that. The evidence of this is that Lamar played about as badly in those 2 years as was possible and he is still getting an offer that would put him ahead. The smart move financially was to wait but it was also to take the deal after waiting. Yes Allen got his signing bonus earlier but considering the stagnant market that 15% you get by waiting is simply better returns than you should expect.
Right, but the problem is you're assuming the other parties deal won't change during that time. Josh Allen is going to get an extension and a raise likely in the next 2-3 years. So when Lamar is making $50M in 2025 or 2026, Allen will be making at least that much, if not more.

And why do you think 15% for two years is a good return? For starters, 15% is basically the % of price inflation we've seen the last two years, which means $1.15 today was worth roughly $1 two years ago. So he's not in a better purchasing position.
Second, 7.5% annually is the long run average return on the market over a 20-30 year period, and its much, much, much higher over a 10 year period.

At the very maximum, you could argue its a neutral position to wait. The problem in this particular industry is that people don't get guaranteed contracts, and durability and production pretty much universally decline with age. Couple that with high end players basically being able to readjust their contracts when they see fit, and waiting almost never works out.

Lamar’s “last straw” = $$$. If he gets what he wants all will be forgiven.

Also, Harbs is a HC. He wants his best players on the field. I’m not even convinced that Harbs knew the full extent of his injury, and was visibly frustrated at one point because he was telling everyone that Lamar would play before season end, and then he didn’t. Did Lamar use a personal physician or was he diagnosed by team physician? It makes a huge difference in how information is allowed to be shared to public, according to HIPPA. Did Harbs know the level of PCL injury, or did Lamar keep that under wraps until that tweet? I have more questions about all of that then I have answers.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah the "last straw" is when he signs the extension.

Honestly about 20 minutes after he publicly made his little trade request, my perceived likelihood of him remaining a Ravens skyrocketed. The number of teams with both the desire and capability to bring us a trade offer is extremely small. I see 3-4 teams, at most, and I think that's a very big stretch for some of them.

I think all signs point to this thing getting to July, and him making a decision whether to take our offer or play on the tag. I don't think some great big trade or even contract offer for him is coming from another team. I'd kind of hope it would, so we can get this over with, but I don't expect it.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Think about this- when Lamar won his MVP it was before these dudes were playing- Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow, and Lawrence. Allen was a rookie. So, Jackson has been passed by these guys, owns 1 playoff victory, and hasn't finished the last two seasons. The Browns will only set the market for desperation and stupidity. Deshaun Watson may not even be top 10 QB. At any rate, no QB should make more than Mahomes.
...i hate these new trolls. Mahomes won the sb Lamars mvp year and Allen was drafted the same year as Lamar. And Allen looked like shit until they got Diggs

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
As long as the relationship isn't broken beyond repair, the Ravens are still most likely to sign Lamar because they just need each other the most.

Right now, the Ravens decision makers have a lot of fan support and a lot of Ravens fans are 'done with Lamar etc' ( and it's not just the ones who have been waiting to be done with him ever since he was drafted, for 'reasons').

However, that support is very much a part of this moment, with Lamar unsigned and the Ravens in stasis. Fast forward to the middle of the season, with Lamar playing like his usual self somewhere else, putting that team high up in the playoff standings. Meanwhile the Ravens are bad, losing a lot of games, but, because the defense is too good, not losing quite enough to get into position to draft a QB, with only 2 late 1sts in return for their QB.

In that situation, fans will start asking why the Ravens were the only team in decades that couldn't keep their franchise QB. All the criticisms of Harbaugh losing the locker room, driving players away through loyalty to Roman and Saunders, come rushing back. All the criticism of EDC failing to re-sign or build around his QB reappears.

Harbaugh and DeCosta know that their job security is very much tied to Lamar remaining a Raven and so they'll be motivated to pay him. If the breach is mostly financial, Lamar will be back.

RavenRockaRolla

Practice Squad
The sides are polarized. The Ravens are never going to pay what Lamar Jackson deserves and both sides know it. LJ is definitely not going to play on the Injury Tag for 32 million. Not going to ever happen, everyone knows this. The Ravens need to trade Lamar to the Colts who clearly want him. Irsay wants to sign a LJ to a big contract, just not fully guaranteed. Its doable. Don't want to give LJ up, but the relationship is broken and forcing him to play for low pay has soured LJ off Baltimore.

Simba

Staff Member
The sides are polarized. The Ravens are never going to pay what Lamar Jackson deserves and both sides know it. LJ is definitely not going to play on the Injury Tag for 32 million. Not going to ever happen, everyone knows this. The Ravens need to trade Lamar to the Colts who clearly want him. Irsay wants to sign a LJ to a big contract, just not fully guaranteed. Its doable. Don't want to give LJ up, but the relationship is broken and forcing him to play for low pay has soured LJ off Baltimore.
No one else is willing to pay what he supposedly "deserves" either