• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Offseason Training

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
haha - its a good call - it suggests that the coaching staff already are fans of Orlando Brown at right tackle though which is an immense positive if that continues

also suggests the coaching staff arent fans of skura at all
Not surprised about this. As much as I hate Hurst..... Skura was worse. I can live with a Hurst at G even if the fan base massively overrates him.

Brown at RT is obvious. He’s an ideal fit here. If he went to SF hed be screwed. Here, he’s got the chance to be a 10 year starter. I’m good with that

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I worry about browns transition more than anything, pass blocking in that spread is strange, incomplete dropbacks and constant combo blocks in pass pro raise the same concerns that some had with laremy tunsil and have proven to be a big hurdle for him. He had a very similar repertoire in pass pro to tunsils.

That said, brown has length and strength that simply lets him overcome so many technical or athletic deficiencies, he can be way short on his kickstep and not square with the rusher and still eliminate the rush entirely with one good punch to reroute slightly and give himself time to recover, and those arms keep rushers from ever being able to bullrush, can't get in the tackles chest if your hands are 3+ inches away, and any gap between he and the guard is easily walled off again due to his arms.

The biggest thing about brown is simply his arm length and raw power, if he reaches his top physical form and technique he is an all pro, easily. The work ethic is a concern though

From what little we’ve seen so far it seems like Orlando brown has got a good head on his shoulders and it sounds like he’s already a monster in the film room so he’s got the intangibles I want - with Brown I think it’s always gonna be the physical stuff that we worry about (and I don’t just mean being in shape - I mean the newness of the pass sets and the training his body to do the right things post snap so that it’s subconscious)

If he gets the physical stuff worked out, the mental stuff is there - if he can work out how to consistently eliminate savvy/speedy rushers he’s gonna be a beast - if the opposing rusher doesn’t have the speed to challenge him outside then I think were gonna see brown recognise that and short set pass rushers on his side into oblivion

rossihunter2

Staff Member
dunno if anyone saw this small note from filmstudy...

Camp Notes: Zach Sieler looks the part of a 5 tech. He lists at 6'6", 290 and his hands were impressively fast against backup guard Maurice Shakir.

trying to find anything more than shaky highlight footage of this dude is borderline impossible so he could legitimately be anything but with that physical profile and the utter dominance on that shaky highlight tape its hard not to salivate at the ceiling for a 7th round pick...

I don't think he should be playing OLB all the time. He's a swiss army knife type. Using him should allow the defense to be unpredictable.

I think he should be the "starter" at ILB.. Not necessarily have all the responsibilities of that position though. Some plays you blitz the guy up the middle. Others you send him into coverage. You can also put him on the edge.

Again.. USE HIM FOR FUCKS SAKE. Stop this dumbass doghouse shit we do. Player's aren't going to learn from their mistakes being punished by being not allowed to play. That's not how it works.
Not sure what prevented him from seeing more snaps. Doghouse? Not sure what he did to deserve that.

I think it is going to be very interesting to see how things change with Pees out and Martindale in. Some of the noises coming from players gives the impression that they were none too thrilled with Pees. I mean, Suggs so much as said it feels like we've had the "handcuffs" taken off. Wow - that's a strong statement.

I am really hoping that Bowser sees more of the field and starts to show rare value for a Ravens 2nd round pick. He most certainly should be above Smith on the depth chart, as I agree with the poster that OLB is where we would benefit the most from his skills.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not sure what prevented him from seeing more snaps. Doghouse? Not sure what he did to deserve that.

I think it is going to be very interesting to see how things change with Pees out and Martindale in. Some of the noises coming from players gives the impression that they were none too thrilled with Pees. I mean, Suggs so much as said it feels like we've had the "handcuffs" taken off. Wow - that's a strong statement.

I am really hoping that Bowser sees more of the field and starts to show rare value for a Ravens 2nd round pick. He most certainly should be above Smith on the depth chart, as I agree with the poster that OLB is where we would benefit the most from his skills.

i thought brandon williams saying they were robots was pretty crazy too lol

but for bowser and timmy williams this is the best coordinator change they could hope for - not only a guy who's supposedly taking the training wheels of the defence and putting square pegs in round holes (of course all talk so far no proof so we'll see about that) - but more importantly he was their linebackers coach for the year - if anyone knows how to put them in particular in position to succeed its gonna be the guy whose job it was to coach them up

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Anyone noticed that lasley has had by far the most screen time on these OTA Highlight reels?

Interestingly Hensley didn’t tweet out the context when he said lasley dropped consecutive passes - he did drop consecutive balls but that was in the warmup portion and as soon as the competitive part started he caught all 9 of his balls

Lasley is electric on the tape so it makes sense that he would stand out when there’s no contact - it will be telling if he still stands out during contact practices because if he does we might have nabbed ourselves a real steal

Interestingly Hensley didn’t tweet out the context when he said lasley dropped consecutive passes - he did drop consecutive balls but that was in the warmup portion and as soon as the competitive part started he caught all 9 of his balls

Lasley is electric on the tape so it makes sense that he would stand out when there’s no contact - it will be telling if he still stands out during contact practices because if he does we might have nabbed ourselves a real steal
The Ravens ... getting a steal at the WR position via the draft? Wouldn't that be a novel thing.

That would be huge, if true. The FA pick ups we got this off season are largely short-term guys. We need some long term (cheap) solutions.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

Lasley also tends to catch all of his passes in stride and over the middle. As in he doesn’t drop a ton of those, if he does at all.

Words cannot describe how excited I was when we drafted him. He’s got the potential to be a nice player. Nothing special but a good player

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Lasley also tends to catch all of his passes in stride and over the middle. As in he doesn’t drop a ton of those, if he does at all.

Words cannot describe how excited I was when we drafted him. He’s got the potential to be a nice player. Nothing special but a good player
My thoughts were “wow they never learn do they?”

But I’d prefer to be wrong with my gut feeling. Currently feeling like it’s a decent possibility that happens

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Its the time of year where the team gets penalized for violating CBA rules.
Harbaugh needs to learn the rules. This can't happen every year. The NFL gets soft, organized team acitivites but no contact is allowed.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
pass coverage contact
Harbaugh and Biscotti both got fined and the Ravens have to forfeit two otas

Basically it sounds like almost nothing - given that we had a violation 2 years ago if this was anything important the nflpa would force the league to make this a significant punishment not a lesser one

Sounds like something happened and the league basically decided they had to act because it violated the rules but not in any impactful sense so gave us almost the bare minimum

And given that our coaching staff normally gives players extra days off OTAs and other offseason activities anyway this basically just means the team isn’t going on a group movie trip this year