• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 DB Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

Looking him up it seems like he could be genuinely good. He has real, on field athleticism, and is pretty versatile. Could use a bit more muscle and to be a bit more physical, but I'd happily take him if he's there in the third.

CBs who run 4.2 don't make it to the 3rd

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Except Woolen who fell to the 5th just last year lol

And Kalon Barnes who fell to the 7th
And silly me was taking Woolen on day 2 of some mocks I played with.

Christian Gonzalez also looked super smooth during the 40. Missed most of the combine but boy he left an impression on me.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
And silly me was taking Woolen on day 2 of some mocks I played with.

Christian Gonzalez also looked super smooth during the 40. Missed most of the combine but boy he left an impression on me.
I haven’t watched any of Witherspoon yet so my opinion is incomplete, but Christian Gonzales looks like a guy the ravens are gonna really have their eye on

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I haven’t watched any of Witherspoon yet so my opinion is incomplete, but Christian Gonzales looks like a guy the ravens are gonna really have their eye on
I watch a lot of BIG 10 and what I remember of Illinois was their solid defense with the secondary having a lot of pro prospects. The hardest thing for me to read is the secondary along with route running watching on TV. That's where study has to come in I guess but from some of the highlights I seen he looks damn aggresive and is great in man to man. Gonzalez hell yeah he looked smooth with great balance and swivel just from what I seen at the combine. I loved watching that kicker run with the db's lol.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Looking him up it seems like he could be genuinely good. He has real, on field athleticism, and is pretty versatile. Could use a bit more muscle and to be a bit more physical, but I'd happily take him if he's there in the third.

he's got track speed and genuine CoD skills - he's been an obvious day 2 guy for me

this 4.27 shouldnt have been a surprise or change the eval though - everyone knew he was a track athlete who was grading him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I watch a lot of BIG 10 and what I remember of Illinois was their solid defense with the secondary having a lot of pro prospects. The hardest thing for me to read is the secondary along with route running watching on TV. That's where study has to come in I guess but from some of the highlights I seen he looks damn aggresive and is great in man to man. Gonzalez hell yeah he looked smooth with great balance and swivel just from what I seen at the combine. I loved watching that kicker run with the db's lol.

i wish witherspoon had run yesterday - one of the very few questions i have about him is his long speed - but maybe that's why he didnt run

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
guys that size just shouldnt move the way he does
genuinely nuts mobility
That’s why I feel so highly about him, he’s Kyle hamilton at corner basically, so big and long and strong, so fluid in all of his movements, from footwork at the snap, to his control in press, to the hip flip, all the way down to turning his head to find the ball, it all just looks so easy. I like the edge that Witherspoon plays with and he looks like a playmaker type from a short quick look, but pure coverage I’m not sure he’s above Gonzales, he looks like the absolute prototype.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really like Brian Branch

everyone on twitter (and probably on here too) will go nuts if he's the pick... and i doubt he'll be my BPA when we're on the board but... i wouldnt hate it

this guy's not a safety

he's a nickel

his processing and general football intelligence is awesome - dude's a chess piece

not a need for us because we've got kyle hamilton who's an alien playing a bunch of nickel for us and we also like using Marlon in the slot too but i definitely can see a world where we've got a bunch of positionless guys on the backend roaming around pre-snap... (Marlo, Hamilton, Stephens) with Marcus Williams as the FS and we add a guy like brian branch to that group

Assuming Chuck Clark is gone, we've got the bare bones of a pretty exciting DB corps... just missing one sure thing at outside CB opposite Marlo... maybe the ravens think that's Stephens or JAD, maybe they think they need to find someone, or bring back MP but adding a young CB to this group feels so dangerous lol

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

everyone on twitter (and probably on here too) will go nuts if he's the pick... and i doubt he'll be my BPA when we're on the board but... i wouldnt hate it

this guy's not a safety

he's a nickel

his processing and general football intelligence is awesome - dude's a chess piece

not a need for us because we've got kyle hamilton who's an alien playing a bunch of nickel for us and we also like using Marlon in the slot too but i definitely can see a world where we've got a bunch of positionless guys on the backend roaming around pre-snap... (Marlo, Hamilton, Stephens) with Marcus Williams as the FS and we add a guy like brian branch to that group

Assuming Chuck Clark is gone, we've got the bare bones of a pretty exciting DB corps... just missing one sure thing at outside CB opposite Marlo... maybe the ravens think that's Stephens or JAD, maybe they think they need to find someone, or bring back MP but adding a young CB to this group feels so dangerous lol
What's your order on the top CBs?

Simba

Staff Member

this guy's not a safety

he's a nickel

He's such a fun watch. For the reasons you listed, I'm not sure he's coming here. But I also wouldn't be mad. Dude is a baller.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What's your order on the top CBs?

I've watched 12 CBs (including Branch) so far

all 12 have day 2 (or higher grades)

Top 10:
1) Christian Gonzalez
2) Cam Smith
3) Devon Witherspoon

Late 1st:
4) Emmanuel Forbes
5) Brian Branch

Early 2nd:
6) Deonte Banks
7) Joey Porter Jr

2nd:
8) Clark Phillips III
9) Tyrique Stevenson
10) Kelee Ringo

Early 3rd:
11) Kyu Blu Kelly
12) DJ Turner

currently working through position groups like S, LB and TE where I've not done many prospects yet so probably won't be adding to the CB list for a while - but will certainly be coming back to it to grade more guys - Jakorian Bennett for sure is on the list and a few others i want to make sure i get to before the end of april

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He's such a fun watch. For the reasons you listed, I'm not sure he's coming here. But I also wouldn't be mad. Dude is a baller.

there's no doubt that he makes this team better pretty much straight off the bat...
but wouldnt be the sexy option

and with the way my board is stacked right now, the highest i think he can be on my board is 16th (and likely he's not as high as that) which makes it somewhat unlikely he's BPA on my board when we pick

i think it's likely there will be other CBs with bigger grades or WRs/EDGEs who are above him in the stack

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor

Top 10:
1) Christian Gonzalez
2) Cam Smith
3) Devon Witherspoon

Late 1st:
4) Emmanuel Forbes
5) Brian Branch

Early 2nd:
6) Deonte Banks
7) Joey Porter Jr

2nd:
8) Clark Phillips III
9) Tyrique Stevenson
10) Kelee Ringo

Early 3rd:
11) Kyu Blu Kelly
12) DJ Turner

currently working through position groups like S, LB and TE where I've not done many prospects yet so probably won't be adding to the CB list for a while - but will certainly be coming back to it to grade more guys - Jakorian Bennett for sure is on the list and a few others i want to make sure i get to before the end of april
so you're low on Ringo? me, too

rossihunter2

Staff Member
so you're low on Ringo? me, too

depends what you mean by low

he's a supremely talented athlete who's incredibly raw at the position - i think he's an exciting developmental corner with crazy baseline athletic traits (albeit some non-linear questionmarks) who's super young but whose fundamentals are a mess

i like him a lot
but i like him in the mid 2nd round

it's just the CB class is crazy deep

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

Top 10:
1) Christian Gonzalez
2) Cam Smith
3) Devon Witherspoon

Late 1st:
4) Emmanuel Forbes
5) Brian Branch

Early 2nd:
6) Deonte Banks
7) Joey Porter Jr

2nd:
8) Clark Phillips III
9) Tyrique Stevenson
10) Kelee Ringo

Early 3rd:
11) Kyu Blu Kelly
12) DJ Turner

I'm going through CBs now but I think Witherspoon is probably CB1 for me