• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Run Game, The 2 minute drills and Screw the Steelers Baby!

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
As much as Harbs gets criticized on this board (good amount of it is deserved btw), this is why he's still the HC. His team fights for him just like the Steelers fight for Tomlin.
The team does play hard. I don't know if it's for him or for themselves. It still makes me crazy when he challenges ball placement. Again today it was pretty clear Huntley didn't make it. Is this his decision or is someone in the booth clamoring for him to do these? If it's the booth, someone needs to lose the direct line to the HC.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
wow, didn't realize they were so bad this year. This will probably mean we will come out slinging the rock.

Probably- we all know passing against a below average run D is just another stroke of genius from our best OC of all-time

Old Bay

Veteran
IDK. I think early on if we weren't passing the run wouldn't have been as effective
Squealers were worn down towards the end, our O line was dominating.
Yeah, that's fair. Hopefully, Huntley is back next week. While I know he's not a legit starter in the league, he's certainly our best option while Lamar is out.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I still think its time to freshen up the OC position, but I'll be completely honest that I'm extremely down on MM. Moreso than Roman.

The defense has both the talent on paper and also multiple weeks of demonstrated effectiveness during periods of non 2 minute drills or end of games. The defense can be good and can be good for long periods of time. But they collapse almost every single 2 minute drill or end of game? With lots of vets like Calais and Houston and JPP and Marcus Williams and Roquan? No way. I don't buy that for one second.

MM better find a way to get it together because Lamar will come back and we will make the playoffs. If we want to have any success, the D will need to finish games. Today they were fortunate that the offense closed it out. The whole run game played like WINNERS while the defense did its best to choke at the end.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I still think its time to freshen up the OC position, but I'll be completely honest that I'm extremely down on MM. Moreso than Roman.

The defense has both the talent on paper and also multiple weeks of demonstrated effectiveness during periods of non 2 minute drills or end of games. The defense can be good and can be good for long periods of time. But they collapse almost every single 2 minute drill or end of game? With lots of vets like Calais and Houston and JPP and Marcus Williams and Roquan? No way. I don't buy that for one second.

MM better find a way to get it together because Lamar will come back and we will make the playoffs. If we want to have any success, the D will need to finish games. Today they were fortunate that the offense closed it out. The whole run game played like WINNERS while the defense did its best to choke at the end.
Macdonald has done a tremendous job fixing up the shortcomings of the defense from the early parts of the season. Is he perfect, absolutely not, but we can rush the passer better than we have in recent seasons and we don't have to blitz either. Queen and Roquan are killing it and our defensive line is excellent. We need to improve in the 2 minute drill, without question, but that isn't a reason to change the DC.

Our defense has been one of the better defenses over the last 8 weeks or so.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Macdonald has done a tremendous job fixing up the shortcomings of the defense from the early parts of the season. Is he perfect, absolutely not, but we can rush the passer better than we have in recent seasons and we don't have to blitz either. Queen and Roquan are killing it and our defensive line is excellent. We need to improve in the 2 minute drill, without question, but that isn't a reason to change the DC.

And I totally agree with all this. The guy has the talent on defense to work with. He's shown that he can call a good game for most of the game. That means he can be a very good DC. But why does he become such a bitch in 2 minute and game on the line situations? Where it's cost us 4 times and almost cost us 3 more? It doesn't matter how good they are all game if they just fold when it counts.

He needs to find a way to close and if he does I believe that D plus Lamar can do anything

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
And I totally agree with all this. The guy has the talent on defense to work with. He's shown that he can call a good game for most of the game. That means he can be a very good DC. But why does he become such a bitch in 2 minute and game on the line situations? Where it's cost us 4 times and almost cost us 3 more? It doesn't matter how good they are all game if they just fold when it counts.

He needs to find a way to close and if he does I believe that D plus Lamar can do anything
think it cost us 3 times, but I get your point. That Giant game was on the offense.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Humphrey actually talked himself out of this game (mentally) when he pubbed up the WR from the Steelers that went to his high school.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

who'd have thought that in a game where we only gave up 14 points, we'd be more critical of the defence than the offence that was running with a 3rd string QB after a few weeks of stagnation

the difference that Ronnie and JK make is wild

and Gus as the change of pace back looked different too when he didnt have to be the bellcow

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

I think if fans of each team had it their way they would be changing entire coaching staffs every other year.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
who'd have thought that in a game where we only gave up 14 points, we'd be more critical of the defence than the offence that was running with a 3rd string QB after a few weeks of stagnation

the difference that Ronnie and JK make is wild

and Gus as the change of pace back looked different too when he didnt have to be the bellcow
Look outside of Lamar this team is as close to as healthy as it can be now. The offense is fundamentally limited at WR but for once it has its RBs and OL. That's awesome.

The defense is at full strength and can be elite. Just for the love of God don't throw the game away every 2nd and 4th quarter.

If the defense can keep itself from blowing leads, and if we can run the ball we'll be a fun team to watch again. Maybe can win a playoff game.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Many times the OC gets blamed for failed plays when it's not their fault at all. Cleveland caused the fumble, the 4th down play didn't fail because it was too cute. Snoop got plowed on an unlucky set up for a bad tackle. Can't expect much from the passing game today all things considered.

Sometimes you just have to know the other team is trying to win too, and shit happens. Steelers always play us tough no matter the circumstances. And you can always expect ref ball when we play them. Just how it is.
Every week.