• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: Bills

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
McCoy avoids exempt list, eligible for Sunday
5168.jpg

LeSean McCoy will not be placed on the commissioner's exempt list, making him eligible to play Sunday.

"There’s been no change to his status," league spokesman Brian McCarthy said. McCoy remains involved in an open investigation stemming from a July home invasion during which his ex-girlfriend allegedly was injured. For the time being, he'll avoid being placed on the commissioner's exempt list and start against the Ravens Sunday. The NFL still could place McCoy on the exempt list mid-season.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Of all the games week one, this is the one I feel most confident in and I HATE betting on us. Ravens in a blowout.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Of all the games week one, this is the one I feel most confident in and I HATE betting on us. Ravens in a blowout.
I'd say let's not jinx it but if we lose to this team prepare for a long season. I know we are coming off of a year where a team went 0-16 but I can't remember a worse roster than this one.

Have fun Peterman.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
a PR released depth chart(im guessing based on who they see taking starting reps at practice) has james hurst as the starting RT still.

dude i swear to fucking god if hurst is starting over brown...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just as an FYI I just saw the ravens week 1 depth chart and was about to come and complain and then realised it was put together by the PR team (which means Kevin Byrne) and then I just laughed at it because it’s stupid and meaningless - and in fact it’s probably wilfully ignorant

But if anyone wants to see something funny go ahead and read it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
As some examples:
Willie Henry is listed as a backup (again I realise he’s injured)
Timmy Williams is listed 5th edge defender
Hayden hurst (I know he’s injured) is listed as 3rd on the depth chart
Chris wormley is listed as the backup nose tackle
RGIII is listed behind Lamar on the depth chart - if he is then why is he on the roster (makes no sense)

So take the depth chart with a pinch of salt and laugh at it - expect it to be mostly wrong

So all those ol bits and pieces are probably not even close to right either

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
a PR released depth chart(im guessing based on who they see taking starting reps at practice) has james hurst as the starting RT still.

dude i swear to fucking god if hurst is starting over brown...
Hurst got next to no time at RT in the preseason. I'd say that's telling. They usually don't play people as long as we played Brown if they're not going to start.

So....

It's Skura that I'm worried about

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Hurst got next to no time at RT in the preseason. I'd say that's telling. They usually don't play people as long as we played Brown if they're not going to start.

So....

It's Skura that I'm worried about
well yanda sat out the whole preseason so they needed someone at RG, so hurst or lewis. it would be classic harbaugh to play brown there the whole preseason with the bullshit of "we needed a guy to step in for yanda" behind it, so he can field his favorite scrub hurst on game day.

not to say its gonna happen, just that the PR usually sees whos running practice with the 1s for the game, and they made this list based on what they saw. otherwise theyre literally talking out of their ass.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
As some examples:
RGIII is listed behind Lamar on the depth chart - if he is then why is he on the roster (makes no sense)

So take the depth chart with a pinch of salt and laugh at it - expect it to be mostly wrong

I'm not surprised to see Hayden Hurst as third on the depth chart. I'd bet second, but definitely not first. First year tight ends just don't do much. We haven't seen a productive one since Jeremy Shockey.

Also, I'd imagine Henry is a backup. When the Ravens trot out their first down run defense, I bet it looks exactly as it does on the depth chart.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
well yanda sat out the whole preseason so they needed someone at RG, so hurst or lewis. it would be classic harbaugh to play brown there the whole preseason with the bullshit of "we needed a guy to step in for yanda" behind it, so he can field his favorite scrub hurst on game day.

not to say its gonna happen, just that the PR usually sees whos running practice with the 1s for the game, and they made this list based on what they saw. otherwise theyre literally talking out of their ass.

no - its preseason they only reshuffle when they absolutely have to - if they wanted hurst at right tackle they should have put orlando brown at left tackle when ronnie went down to get him some reps - or even just let orlando have a break and have someone else play right guard - if hurst was playing tackle they would have wanted to build chemistry with the starting OL

but in terms of the PR guys watching practice we know that the DL alignment is completely wrong - Willie Henry was running with the 1s all offseason and even though he's injured he should either be called the starter or he should be bottom of the depth chart (putting him as the 2nd DT behind Brandon Williams is nonsensical)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm not surprised to see Hayden Hurst as third on the depth chart. I'd bet second, but definitely not first. First year tight ends just don't do much. We haven't seen a productive one since Jeremy Shockey.

Also, I'd imagine Henry is a backup. When the Ravens trot out their first down run defense, I bet it looks exactly as it does on the depth chart.

he's literally been running as the starting DT all summer with Urban at DE and Williams at NT - Michael Pierce and Brandon Williams have both spent all offseason at NT because Henry has been the starting DT

And Hayden Hurst isnt like other rookie TEs - he's more NFL ready than almost any TE prospect in recent times because of his age and understanding of scheme and nuance - he picked it up so quickly

and as an FYI - Eisenberg, Mckusick and a few others all have referred to Henry and Hurst as the projected starters and these guys have been watching practices all summer too

there's an obvious disconnect

tbf you are right that i imagine our first DL will be Urban, Williams and Pierce but only because Henry is recovering from a hernia

As some examples:

RGIII and where he fits is really something out of the ordinary.

I will not be surprised if most games we see RGIII inactive. I think we are going to want to employ Jackson in packages and so we'll want him to be available. So in that way, having him as #2 on a depth chart may make sense. If Flacco gets hurt (ala, Alonzo head shot) we'll live with Lamar finishing out the game and then will assess who should start if Flacco would miss multiple games (in part based on how Lamar finishes out that game).

It really seems that RGIII is an insurance policy for us and trade bait for someone else, should another starter go down in the league. I think he just has too much potential value to cut and that's why he's a Raven.

If
I'd say let's not jinx it but if we lose to this team prepare for a long season. I know we are coming off of a year where a team went 0-16 but I can't remember a worse roster than this one.

Have fun Peterman.
I know some people hate hearing the term "must win" until way later in the season ... but if we ever had a must win game 1, it is this one. At home against one of the worst teams in the league ... if you have any aspirations at all ... that's one you've gotta win.

What I do avoid is the thought "If we don't blow them out, we're in trouble". Demanding a blowout is futile. Sure I'd love to see a blow out here, but I'm not going to scream the sky is falling if we don't get one.

Just get that damn W.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
he's literally been running as the starting DT all summer with Urban at DE and Williams at NT - Michael Pierce and Brandon Williams have both spent all offseason at NT because Henry has been the starting DT

And Hayden Hurst isnt like other rookie TEs - he's more NFL ready than almost any TE prospect in recent times because of his age and understanding of scheme and nuance - he picked it up so quickly

and as an FYI - Eisenberg, Mckusick and a few others all have referred to Henry and Hurst as the projected starters and these guys have been watching practices all summer too

there's an obvious disconnect

tbf you are right that i imagine our first DL will be Urban, Williams and Pierce but only because Henry is recovering from a hernia
I'd imagine on obvious run downs, they're going to put Pierce out there over Henry. It isn't a slight at Henry and I don't get the obsession over the term "starter." Henry will likely field the majority of the snaps anyway. This to me is like when Thomas Jones started more games than Jamaal Charles, but Charles got more snaps and carries anyway.

We've heard that about tight ends a lot with guys like Hunter Henry, Gronk, Tyler Eifert, etc. These were all "pro ready," and in the case of Eifert, he was supposed to be the best player in the class according to some. They still had a rough transition period and I think Hurst showed in preseason he still has a lot to learn about being an inline tight end.

Anyway, as far as starters are concerned, Hurst slid back to RT when Yanda was back and they had a full five man offensive line, but I can bet Brown is starting week one.

Edit: I was incorrect- Evan Engram had a really good rookie season at tight end. But, for me, I'm expecting Boyle to start and handle the inline work with Hurst handling the receiving duties (think how Ed Dickson was the starter in 2012 and Pitta played a bigger role). I think a lot of people are expecting that Jeremy Shockey 80/900 season with 8+ touchdowns and I'd be happy to see him make two catches for 25 yards a game and be a red zone threat.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
As much as I feel Hurst is pro ready, TE is the 2nd hardest position to learn on the field. There have only been 16 or 17 TEs to have over 500 yards in their 1st season.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think hurst(healthy) could have a legitimate 400 yd season with 4-5 tds. That’s far from a stretch for a TE like him who really is more pro ready than a lot of the guys listed above. He has played pro sports before and knows the lifestyle of a much more time consuming pro sport than football, those other guys simply don’t have that, this is business as usual for him where with the other guys it was a learning curve not only on the field but in their entire personal lives. Those guys were refined players in a way, eifert came from a pro system and gronk could play inline and block, Henry was a refined route runner, but for eifert and gronk the real thing was that they were large as fuck and gronk was an all around freak and eifert made freakish catches look easy. Hurst is very refined, an athletic freak, can block, play multiple positions, and has extremely secure hands, he has a recipe for doing well early. His play speed is better than any te in the league outside of Engram and maybe njoku. He’s not gonna be a world beater as a rookie because he will be asked to block and create plays for others, but he absolutely should show why we drafted him.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I think hurst(healthy) could have a legitimate 400 yd season with 4-5 tds. That’s far from a stretch for a TE like him who really is more pro ready than a lot of the guys listed above. He has played pro sports before and knows the lifestyle of a much more time consuming pro sport than football, those other guys simply don’t have that, this is business as usual for him where with the other guys it was a learning curve not only on the field but in their entire personal lives. Those guys were refined players in a way, eifert came from a pro system and gronk could play inline and block, Henry was a refined route runner, but for eifert and gronk the real thing was that they were large as fuck and gronk was an all around freak and eifert made freakish catches look easy. Hurst is very refined, an athletic freak, can block, play multiple positions, and has extremely secure hands, he has a recipe for doing well early. His play speed is better than any te in the league outside of Engram and maybe njoku. He’s not gonna be a world beater as a rookie because he will be asked to block and create plays for others, but he absolutely should show why we drafted him.
I’ll be so mad if Hayden quits on us to go play in the nba..