• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: Bills

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Even with all the pessimism about Hurst starting at RT (for now)....i still think we start off the season 4-0.

Call me an optimist but the first 2 games of the season seem like revenge games for me. The Broncos will get sufficated by our defense, and the Bellless steelers will be totally one dimensional.

Our offense will be balanced enough to where i dont think any teams pass rush will be able to have an effect on the game.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Best case scenario is 4-0

Worst case scenario: 1-3

Most likely scenario: 2-2... With us being 0-2 in the division. Bengals are low key a talented team that everyone is sleeping on. Thankfully, even with Von Miller making Hurst his bitch... The Broncos really have a worse oline and Keenum doesn't have a super genius on offense backing him this go round.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Bengals are a 4-12 team that people are overestimating. I would not be shocked if they finish 4th in the division they are that bad.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Bengals are a 4-12 team that people are overestimating. I would not be shocked if they finish 4th in the division they are that bad.
My guess is they finish 4th. But with Hues inability to coach it wouldn’t surprise me if the Browns suck again.

And on top of everything their “breakout player” for this year Mixon averaged 1.8 yds a carry this preseason. He won’t get anything going behind their below average Oline. Their defense has several holes, their wr group is overhyped outside of AJ. They’ve gone from everyone knowing they're a bottom 10-15 team to being overhyped somehow. They will probably win 5 or 6 games.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i completely disagree - and given the predictions of most journalists has the bengals 3rd (or even 4th) in the division i'd say they're being pretty underestimated

i hate to defend the bengals but its tough not to look at their roster and think they've got a lot of talent there

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
i completely disagree - and given the predictions of most journalists has the bengals 3rd (or even 4th) in the division i'd say they're being pretty underestimated

i hate to defend the bengals but its tough not to look at their roster and think they've got a lot of talent there

I can't think of why roster isn't worse than last year which was worse than the year before that.

There offense is dreadful from a very bad OLine to them hoping Ross, a massivereach, can be an actual threat, and there defense has to put it kindly some holes.

What makes them better than last year because I don't see it?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I can't think of why roster isn't worse than last year which was worse than the year before that.

There offense is dreadful from a very bad OLine to them hoping Ross, a massivereach, can be an actual threat, and there defense has to put it kindly some holes.

What makes them better than last year because I don't see it?
They drafted Billy Price who is easily a definitive upgrade at C over Bodine even if does struggle for a rookie and they traded for Cordy Glenn who is a franchise LT. Tyler Eifert actually looks healthy this year as does John Ross, who looks their #3 WR(even if I do agree he was an overdaft) which is especially dangerous given that Green demands a consistent double team, Joe Mixon is ready to take the next the next step, and even if not Mark Walton is a good addition and Giovanni Bernard is still a good third down back. Andrew Billings on defense looks like he's taken the next step and they did add Preston Brown, who is admittantly coming off of a down year, to a coach that knows how to get the bet out of his LBs. The moment Burfict comes back from that suspension they have one of the better front sevens in the game and now actually have more than just one competent oline along with a supporting cast that now looks healthier. I don't see how they got worse, they didn't really lose anyone of note other than Pacman Jones, who's age finally caught up to him anyways, and they did lose Iloka but he's never really healthy anyways so what difference does it really make.

If anything the Bengals got better. And they always play us tough anyways.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
They drafted Billy Price who is easily a definitive upgrade at C over Bodine even if does struggle for a rookie and they traded for Cordy Glenn who is a franchise LT. Tyler Eifert actually looks healthy this year as does John Ross, who looks their #3 WR(even if I do agree he was an overdaft) which is especially dangerous given that Green demands a consistent double team, Joe Mixon is ready to take the next the next step, and even if not Mark Walton is a good addition and Giovanni Bernard is still a good third down back. Andrew Billings on defense looks like he's taken the next step and they did add Preston Brown, who is admittantly coming off of a down year, to a coach that knows how to get the bet out of his LBs. The moment Burfict comes back from that suspension they have one of the better front sevens in the game and now actually have more than just one competent oline along with a supporting cast that now looks healthier. I don't see how they got worse, they didn't really lose anyone of note other than Pacman Jones, who's age finally caught up to him anyways, and they did lose Iloka but he's never really healthy anyways so what difference does it really make.

If anything the Bengals got better. And they always play us tough anyways.
So you just mentioned 2 olineman. A rookie and an average LT. What about the right side of their line that makes James Hurst look like a pro bowler. Or their below avg LG? Sorry but 2 players doesn’t make an Oline good. Their Oline is bad. Their secondary consists of Jackson who looks to be good and the rest are all underachievers. Their LB group is very weak. Their RBs are average. Mixon and Ross have proven literally nothing. Mixon ready to take the next step? Based off of what? Absolutely nothing. Every team in the NFL has a few talented players, so do the Bengals. They simply aren’t a good team. They will play the division tough but will mightily struggle to beat anyone else.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
So you just mentioned 2 olineman. A rookie and an average LT. What about the right side of their line that makes James Hurst look like a pro bowler. Or their below avg LG? Sorry but 2 players doesn’t make an Oline good. Their Oline is bad. Their secondary consists of Jackson who looks to be good and the rest are all underachievers. Their LB group is very week. Every team in the NFL has a few talented players, so do the Bengals. They simply aren’t a good team. They will play the division tough but will mightily struggle to beat anyone else.
Um Clint Boling is actually a solid guard and Glenn has been proven to be a franchise LT.. When he's healthy. That's three good offensive linemen, and the right side of that line is a definitive weakness but as of right now we have two turnstiles that are just as bad as that right side in the starting lineup.

I don't doubt that Andy and Marv fuck the team somehow but sleeping on them and penciling them as a "definitive win" is just foolish.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Um Clint Boling is actually a solid guard and Glenn has been proven to be a franchise LT.. When he's healthy. That's three good offensive linemen, and the right side of that line is a definitive weakness but as of right now we have two turnstiles that are just as bad as that right side in the starting lineup.

I don't doubt that Andy and Marv fuck the team somehow but sleeping on them and penciling them as a "definitive win" is just foolish.
Man I sure don’t recall ever saying anything about a “definitive win”.

And boling does not count as a “good” offensive lineman. Do not sit here everyday and shit on Hurst and turn around and call boling a good olineman.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Man I sure don’t recall ever saying anything about a “definitive win”
Not a direct comment at you. But I know a bunch of people who say that "we won't lose, it's a definitive revenge game".

Sorry, as long as Hurst is starting at RT vs. those edge rushers I don't have any optimism right now outside of this week. Thank god the Bills are utter garbage. Hopefully we don't play down to our competition

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
And boling does not count as a “good” offensive lineman. Do not sit here everyday and shit on Hurst and turn around and call boling a good olineman.
Um.. Boling is a historically good offensive linemen. He was their only guy worth a damn last year. He was actually a top 10 overall pass blocking offensive linemen last year per PFF, he's just not that great of a run blocker. Sorry, there's no way in hell that he and Hurst are even in the same stratosphere. One is a total turnstile at the RT position, and the other is a very good pass protector and just an underwhelming run blocker, and even then he was ranked way ahead of Skura and Hurst who's supposedly one of the best pulling guards in the league(Filmstudy is wrong, he is not at all. He is still a well below average player in the run game)

Oh, and Boling finished that ranking playing LT because the Bengals were that bad and is going back to his natural position. When you're that good at pass blocking, yes you are a good offensive lineman

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not a direct comment at you. But I know a bunch of people who say that "we won't lose, it's a definitive revenge game".

Sorry, as long as Hurst is starting at RT vs. those edge rushers I don't have any optimism right now outside of this week. Thank god the Bills are utter garbage. Hopefully we don't play down to our competition
Ah gotcha. But yeah anyone who says ANY division game is a guaranteed win is insane. They’re almost always too close for comfort.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Um.. Boling is a historically good offensive linemen. He was their only guy worth a damn last year. He was actually a top 10 overall pass blocking offensive linemen last year per PFF, he's just not that great of a run blocker. Sorry, there's no way in hell that he and Hurst are even in the same stratosphere. One is a total turnstile at the RT position, and the other is a very good pass protector and just an underwhelming run blocker, and even then he was ranked way ahead of Skura and Hurst who's supposedly one of the best pulling guards in the league

Oh, and Boling finished that ranking playing LT because the Bengals were that bad and is going back to his natural position. When you're that good at pass blocking, yes you are a good offensive lineman
Historically good...meh. I’m not gonna argue with you about Skura, he shouldn’t even be on a 53 man roster. But bad run blocker good pass blocker? Sounds like Hurst at G except id say decent pass blocker instead. I’d put Boling abover Hurst but he’s still not anything more than average at best. In my opinion you can’t be a “good” offensive lineman and be a very poor run blocker. Because that’s what he is. Agree to disagree

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Um.. Boling is a historically good offensive linemen. He was their only guy worth a damn last year. He was actually a top 10 overall pass blocking offensive linemen last year per PFF, he's just not that great of a run blocker. Sorry, there's no way in hell that he and Hurst are even in the same stratosphere. One is a total turnstile at the RT position, and the other is a very good pass protector and just an underwhelming run blocker, and even then he was ranked way ahead of Skura and Hurst who's supposedly one of the best pulling guards in the league(Filmstudy is wrong, he is not at all. He is still a well below average player in the run game)

I forgot they drafted Price. That sucks. Glenn was a terrific LT but, as Bane would say, his victory defeated him with injuries taking their toll. The guy can’t stay healthy so we’ll see how long he lasts. They have an OK OL—I’d say we have a better OL but not by leagues or anything. Bengals are a tough team whether bad or not because they always play us tough so I’d never underestimate them.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I forgot they drafted Price. That sucks. Glenn was a terrific LT but, as Bane would say, his victory defeated him with injuries taking their toll. The guy can’t stay healthy so we’ll see how long he lasts. They have an OK OL—I’d say we have a better OL but not by leagues or anything. Bengals are a tough team whether bad or not because they always play us tough so I’d never underestimate them.

I mean Price will probably be good eventually, but he is still a rookie so at best expect him to be a below average starting Center. That is not a knock on him but that is just how rookies typically transition. I still cant see the Bengals as having a OLine anything better than mid 20s at best and if your OLine is bad your team is bad. I honestly think Ross is a scrub, no disrespect to the man, but he is a scrub who can run fast and thats it and I honestly do not value speed that much at WR so it means next to nothing.

My logic for them being worse is that the core of there defense is not exactly young and all of there problems are still there problems and the core players are going to be able to cover it up less and less.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean Price will probably be good eventually, but he is still a rookie so at best expect him to be a below average starting Center. That is not a knock on him but that is just how rookies typically transition. I still cant see the Bengals as having a OLine anything better than mid 20s at best and if your OLine is bad your team is bad. I honestly think Ross is a scrub, no disrespect to the man, but he is a scrub who can run fast and thats it and I honestly do not value speed that much at WR so it means next to nothing.

My logic for them being worse is that the core of there defense is not exactly young and all of there problems are still there problems and the core players are going to be able to cover it up less and less.
Yeah, I don’t think CIN will have a very good OL. Too many issues and unsolved problems without a truly dangerous talent. We at least have Yanda & Stanley, but I think you have to feel good about Lewis, too. I’d probably put Yanda and Stanley above all players on the CIN OL, and I’d put Lewis on the same level as their best OL player. Bengals OL has seriously weakened as they’ve lost 2 elite players in Whitworth and Zeitler—2 major losses. Glenn is great but as I said that guy hasn’t been healthy in years so it’s hard to be scared of him.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
My guess is they finish 4th. But with Hues inability to coach it wouldn’t surprise me if the Browns suck again.

And on top of everything their “breakout player” for this year Mixon averaged 1.8 yds a carry this preseason. He won’t get anything going behind their below average Oline. Their defense has several holes, their wr group is overhyped outside of AJ. They’ve gone from everyone knowing they're a bottom 10-15 team to being overhyped somehow. They will probably win 5 or 6 games.
Our oline isnt much better than theirs, our wr group isnt even proven so their isnt really much difference. Tavon coming back from an acl injury, its hump 2nd yr , and brandon car is trash and not too mention flacco has been terrible.. this exactly what bengals are saying about us lol.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
So you just mentioned 2 olineman. A rookie and an average LT. What about the right side of their line that makes James Hurst look like a pro bowler. Or their below avg LG? Sorry but 2 players doesn’t make an Oline good. Their Oline is bad. Their secondary consists of Jackson who looks to be good and the rest are all underachievers. Their LB group is very weak. Their RBs are average. Mixon and Ross have proven literally nothing. Mixon ready to take the next step? Based off of what? Absolutely nothing. Every team in the NFL has a few talented players, so do the Bengals. They simply aren’t a good team. They will play the division tough but will mightily struggle to beat anyone else.
Are our running backs not avg and olin not weak? Other than jimmy smith which one of our cbs can compete with starting wrs? I love tavon but he is coming off an injury. Carr suck and hump isnt there yet! crabtree is decent but our wrs havent proven anything yet neither. Snead played well with brees but so does every wr. john brown is reliable if he can stay healthy.