• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Running Game, The Mess and The Greg Roman

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Damn seeing these other trash ass teams move the ball like nothing while our inept offense struggles week after week is sickening.
I think it shows how out of touch with modern football the Ravens decision makers are. The rules, the officials and the players the college game produces make it easier than ever to move the ball through the air, yet DeCosta and Harbaugh have both said "We're a running team," and Harbaugh said yesterday "We want to win with defense."

You can run if you want to, you can play defense too, but the passing offense is the #1 most important thing in football. They're building for a sport that no longer exists.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Today may be the only time I’ve ever done it and I don’t feel to good about it. lol
Just let it happen, I swapped the Bart Scott Jersey yesterday for the Brady jersey today. FIRE THE CANNONS!!

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Damn seeing these other trash ass teams move the ball like nothing while our inept offense struggles week after week is sickening.

I hate rooting for Brady.
We got (receiver-wise) what EDC paid for. Receivers that are sub-par and mediocre in comparison to the other top-flight (passing) squads.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
You’re missing the point entirely. If you consider 20m to be roquans asking price, then that would be the STARTING price for teams offering him a deal in FA, bad teams with tons of cap space to burn, he wouldve been wined and dined and offered way more than what we’re likely to retain him for.

What a player gets paid to stay is way different from what that player gets offered on the open market. If you’re a team tight on cap space you aren’t gonna get the leagues elite when they hit open FA.

And sure you can choose to have poor ILB play because you don’t consider it a value position, but you won’t compete with the likes of KC, cinci, and Buffalo if you don’t have quality LB play, teams that use the screen game and TEs to lethal efficiency to move chains are the best teams in the conference right now.

What I’m saying is, and where I keep losing you, is that we have zero chance at getting roquan smith on the 2023 open market. If we extend roquan for 20m a year, you can bet there are at least 2-3 teams out there who wouldn’t hesitate to offer a good bit more, then we’re stuck deciding whether to extend queen or not because if he leaves we don’t have ANY ILBs. We give up a 2 and avoid that entirely and grab possibly the leagues LB1 long term. There is absolutely a benefit to getting a player in your building and integrated into the team before he hits the open market.

We’ve had a lot of failures in roster management and use of capital, trading for roquan smith was not one of them(unless he leaves in FA)
I get what you're saying, but where we differ is that I believe that, if there are teams with tons of cap space prepared to offer Roquan 'a good bit more' than the Ravens, he'll take it. I don't think these 9 games will sway him.

I don't get why you think the trade means we avoid Roquan's free agency entirely. He's not under contract anywhere next year.

The only way we'll know who has got it right is when Roquan signs a deal somewhere.

Just let it happen, I swapped the Bart Scott Jersey yesterday for the Brady jersey today. FIRE THE CANNONS!!

Eww I can't if he wasn't such a cry baby every time he got hit I might hate him a little less lol. Too many patriot fans down here in SW FL that have rubbed me the wrong way and I'm a Red Sox fan haha.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think it shows how out of touch with modern football the Ravens decision makers are. The rules, the officials and the players the college game produces make it easier than ever to move the ball through the air, yet DeCosta and Harbaugh have both said "We're a running team," and Harbaugh said yesterday "We want to win with defense."

You can run if you want to, you can play defense too, but the passing offense is the #1 most important thing in football. They're building for a sport that no longer exists.
Agreed! And, they have been out of touch for years now. You can be a "running team," that has an element of effective and efficient passing to move the chains as well. That depends on the "types" of receivers drafted or traded for in my view. The Ravens have notoriously sucked at obtaining and developing quality receivers. Sure, they hit a few gems in the draft and through trade (i.e., Mason, Boldin, SSS, etc.). Those 3 receivers mentioned all exhibited a toughness that made them dawgs in their careers. The Ravens don't have one receiver close to that on the roster now in my view. Andrews, yes! But, even he's been struggling lately. Bateman? I'm still not sold on that young cat but, we'll see.

Agreed! And, they have been out of touch for years now. You can be a "running team," that has an element of effective and efficient passing to move the chains as well. That depends on the "types" of receivers drafted or traded for in my view. The Ravens have notoriously sucked at obtaining and developing quality receivers. Sure, they hit a few gems in the draft and through trade (i.e., Mason, Boldin, SSS, etc.). Those 3 receivers mentioned all exhibited a toughness that made them dawgs in their careers. The Ravens don't have one receiver close to that on the roster now in my view. Andrews, yes! But, even he's been struggling lately. Bateman? I'm still not sold on that young cat but, we'll see.

I think he's going to get the injury bust label but hopefully not. That's the problem we keep getting them kitties Kats when we need them Dawgs lol

Tank

Hall of Famer
You’re missing the point entirely. If you consider 20m to be roquans asking price, then that would be the STARTING price for teams offering him a deal in FA, bad teams with tons of cap space to burn, he wouldve been wined and dined and offered way more than what we’re likely to retain him for.

What a player gets paid to stay is way different from what that player gets offered on the open market. If you’re a team tight on cap space you aren’t gonna get the leagues elite when they hit open FA.

And sure you can choose to have poor ILB play because you don’t consider it a value position, but you won’t compete with the likes of KC, cinci, and Buffalo if you don’t have quality LB play, teams that use the screen game and TEs to lethal efficiency to move chains are the best teams in the conference right now.

What I’m saying is, and where I keep losing you, is that we have zero chance at getting roquan smith on the 2023 open market. If we extend roquan for 20m a year, you can bet there are at least 2-3 teams out there who wouldn’t hesitate to offer a good bit more, then we’re stuck deciding whether to extend queen or not because if he leaves we don’t have ANY ILBs. We give up a 2 and avoid that entirely and grab possibly the leagues LB1 long term. There is absolutely a benefit to getting a player in your building and integrated into the team before he hits the open market.

We’ve had a lot of failures in roster management and use of capital, trading for roquan smith was not one of them(unless he leaves in FA)
Prezactly.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I get what you're saying, but where we differ is that I believe that, if there are teams with tons of cap space prepared to offer Roquan 'a good bit more' than the Ravens, he'll take it. I don't think these 9 games will sway him.

I don't get why you think the trade means we avoid Roquan's free agency entirely. He's not under contract anywhere next year.

The only way we'll know who has got it right is when Roquan signs a deal somewhere.
Nobody should have to explain how exclusive negotiating rights between now and April make a difference lol

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Eww I can't if he wasn't such a cry baby every time he got hit I might hate him a little less lol. Too many patriot fans down here in SW FL that have rubbed me the wrong way and I'm a Red Sox fan haha.
O yea all day, almost cried when Tom and Gisele got divorced lol. We get lots of free tickets from my work so my family has completely bought into the Tampa sports market since moving here.

Do you make it to many Rays games. Yankees transplants are by far the most obnoxious , but Red Sox fans are a close second

O yea all day, almost cried when Tom and Gisele got divorced lol. We get lots of free tickets from my work so my family has completely bought into the Tampa sports market since moving here.

Do you make it to many Rays games. Yankees transplants are by far the most obnoxious , but Red Sox fans are a close second

I live literally about 10 mins away from Jetblue Park (Red Sox spring training) and have not gone to 1 game lol.

JAAM

Hall of Famer