• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I know it's only minicamps so we'll need to see how it progresses, but looks like Sala got the run with the 1s at LG today. Sounds like the competition is more likely him vs. John Simpson... aka Ben Cleveland might be toast.
well that’s weird

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I know it's only minicamps so we'll need to see how it progresses, but looks like Sala got the run with the 1s at LG today. Sounds like the competition is more likely him vs. John Simpson... aka Ben Cleveland might be toast.
Harbs originally said Sala wasn't even going to be a part of the competition. Stating we're really trying to keep him on the right side for now. Would be crazy if the dude comes in and wins LG.

I've been saying since I found out Simpson was on the team lol that he will probably be the guy at LG. I don't believe in Ben Cleveland unfortunately. That being said we might be moving to a system that suits him better?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

It’s only minicamps - this is when they’re most likely to move guys around

Training camp will be way more important - we thought there was a camp battle going on and then it turned out Ben powers was almost exclusively playing all the 1st team reps at LG

If sala continues to get 1st team reps in training camp then I’ll get excited

Right now my assumption is still that it’s Cleveland or Simpson

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Harbs originally said Sala wasn't even going to be a part of the competition. Stating we're really trying to keep him on the right side for now. Would be crazy if the dude comes in and wins LG.

I've been saying since I found out Simpson was on the team lol that he will probably be the guy at LG. I don't believe in Ben Cleveland unfortunately. That being said we might be moving to a system that suits him better?
One thing about our team, we give guys chances even after their showcasing of terribleness( is that even a word)….. probably why they always show up big in their contract year though

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
In a world where we don't bring in another CB and focus on EDGE, I think you might find that Daryl Worley actually makes and plays for us this year lol.

Dude has had multiple good pre-seasons the last few years, especially with getting picks. He played pretty dang well in real games last season and he's already off to good start in the offseason practices.

Not acting likes he's great but I think he can make this team. And with the inevitable CB injuries, think we might see him

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
In a world where we don't bring in another CB and focus on EDGE, I think you might find that Daryl Worley actually makes and plays for us this year lol.

Dude has had multiple good pre-seasons the last few years, especially with getting picks. He played pretty dang well in real games last season and he's already off to good start in the offseason practices.

Not acting likes he's great but I think he can make this team. And with the inevitable CB injuries, think we might see him
He’s a nice cb5. I’d like a better cb2 to make rock the cb3 but worley being deep in the rotation isn’t a concern I have, he has proven solid in limited action and in some fairly big moments too

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
He’s a nice cb5. I’d like a better cb2 to make rock the cb3 but worley being deep in the rotation isn’t a concern I have, he has proven solid in limited action and in some fairly big moments too
Agreed. I'd like the CB room to be

Marlon
Peters
RYS
JAD
Pepe
KBK
Worley

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed. I'd like the CB room to be

Marlon
Peters
RYS
JAD
Pepe
KBK
Worley

peters and RYS are not gonna be on the same roster i dont think
they both play the exact same position and neither of them flexes into the slot at all - and i dont think either of them would be happy playing backup reps...

someone like kyle fuller last year (or i guess even this year) who can be our starting slot CB and CB3 makes a lot more sense to me - right now our CB3 is either JAD who's been injured (and is still not a full participant) or Pepe (who's currently injured)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
they both play the exact same position and neither of them flexes into the slot at all - and i dont think either of them would be happy playing backup reps...

someone like kyle fuller last year (or i guess even this year) who can be our starting slot CB and CB3 makes a lot more sense to me - right now our CB3 is either JAD who's been injured (and is still not a full participant) or Pepe (who's currently injured)
Totally agree here. RYS and Peters are very comparable players at this point. If they're both on the roster, I don't see positionally how they're on the field at the same time, unless they're forced into it via injuries.

You either need a SCB, or you need a starter at Safety that forces Hamilton into the SCB role. Which I don't love.

And no, I personally don't have any interest in moving Marlon into the slot. I think those days are behind us.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Totally agree here. RYS and Peters are very comparable players at this point. If they're both on the roster, I don't see positionally how they're on the field at the same time, unless they're forced into it via injuries.

You either need a SCB, or you need a starter at Safety that forces Hamilton into the SCB role. Which I don't love.

And no, I personally don't have any interest in moving Marlon into the slot. I think those days are behind us.

im fine with marlon being in the slot - but it needs to be situationally because we've forced that matchup not because we need 3 CBs on the field and he's the only one who can play in the slot...

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

This makes sense. But I don't know that it would really be that bad depending on MP thought process. If his Market is largely dead (might not be) and he wants to stay (he's said that) a 1year deal could make sense. 1 because we will have injuries. RYS in particular is a frequently injured guy. Also Marlon has slot flexibility if that's needed. And ordinaly I'd say that's kind of dumb way to use Marlon but look at the roster. You have Ardarius and Pepe and Worely I guess. That's kind of awful for Nickel.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This makes sense. But I don't know that it would really be that bad depending on MP thought process. If his Market is largely dead (might not be) and he wants to stay (he's said that) a 1year deal could make sense. 1 because we will have injuries. RYS in particular is a frequently injured guy. Also Marlon has slot flexibility if that's needed. And ordinaly I'd say that's kind of dumb way to use Marlon but look at the roster. You have Ardarius and Pepe and Worely I guess. That's kind of awful for Nickel.

why would MP come here to not be a starter though, when he could go somewhere else and play far more

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
why would MP come here to not be a starter though, when he could go somewhere else and play far more
He most likely will. But there were 2 ifs. His market is bad and he'd prefer to be here.

It doesn't have to be MP. But I feel like he's the best CB still out there and we know him. Plus he is a whole year removed from his injury too.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
He most likely will. But there were 2 ifs. His market is bad and he'd prefer to be here.

It doesn't have to be MP. But I feel like he's the best CB still out there and we know him. Plus he is a whole year removed from his injury too.
I think there's plenty of teams in this league that Peters could start for as a 2nd or 3rd Corner. Especially outside. Just comes down to price point and when he prefers to show up.
Need to realize that a lot of these older veterans don't want to participate in OTAs, so they know they can just sign in July before camp. Their value isn't really going to decrease in the next month, because there's no draft or like influx of FAs being available, and not a lot of teams are cutting players at the moment.

I've also not really seen much to suggest the Ravens want Peters back to be honest. We know we have the cap space to sign him to a modest deal, which is basically what he'll be getting at this point anyway, and we've had that cap space for many weeks now. And we haven't signed him.
I think that's a pretty good indication of our desire for a reunion. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but there really hasn't been anything to prevent it from happening to this point. Same as signing Houston.

I think it'll require a roster change for Peters to be here. i.e. RYS or Marlon suffers a significant injury in OTAs/camp.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think there's plenty of teams in this league that Peters could start for as a 2nd or 3rd Corner. Especially outside. Just comes down to price point and when he prefers to show up.
Need to realize that a lot of these older veterans don't want to participate in OTAs, so they know they can just sign in July before camp. Their value isn't really going to decrease in the next month, because there's no draft or like influx of FAs being available, and not a lot of teams are cutting players at the moment.

I've also not really seen much to suggest the Ravens want Peters back to be honest. We know we have the cap space to sign him to a modest deal, which is basically what he'll be getting at this point anyway, and we've had that cap space for many weeks now. And we haven't signed him.
I think that's a pretty good indication of our desire for a reunion. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but there really hasn't been anything to prevent it from happening to this point. Same as signing Houston.

I think it'll require a roster change for Peters to be here. i.e. RYS or Marlon suffers a significant injury in OTAs/camp.
Don't disagree this is most likely. But the CB room is pretty blegh and I still maintain MP is the best option out there. Still agree that unfortunately he's not the best fit with RYS. But soon enough we're going to need to get this situation sorted. Especially Nickel.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Stanley says this is as good as he's felt since 2019

What a monster, because even though he wasn't at 100% he still played extremely well