• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm pretty sure you never liked the Cleveland pick. Good eyes.

I talked shit about him because all the cool kids are doing it... but like you I think he has a great year with us and becomes a fan favorite.
That was Rossi, I didn’t love it but I didn’t not like it either

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
That was Rossi, I didn’t love it but I didn’t not like it either

Went back and looked at our 2021 class…

1st: Rashod Bateman & Odafe Oweh

3rd: Ben Cleveland & Brandon Stephens

4th: Tylan Wallace

5th: Shaun Wade, Daelin Hayes, Ben Mason

Pair this with EDC’s 1st draft (2019), we might have to start a discussion…

Cause bruh..

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Cause bruh..
Absolutely nothing wrong with Bateman. We will know more this season with Oweh and Cleveland whenever he has played has performed well. Stephens is ok also. Nothing wrong with this class. It may not be elite, but it's above average with the starters that have come from it. Once Bateman went down with an injury our offense was cooked.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Absolutely nothing wrong with Bateman. We will know more this season with Oweh and Cleveland whenever he has played has performed well. Stephens is ok also. Nothing wrong with this class. It may not be elite, but it's above average with the starters that have come from it. Once Bateman went down with an injury our offense was cooked.
Idk about being above avg..i dnt even think its avg. i like bateman and i think he nice but he has been injured… rest of those guys are actually bad. Will see more from clev and odafe this season but right now, they arent that good

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Idk about being above avg..i dnt even think its avg. i like bateman and i think he nice but he has been injured… rest of those guys are actually bad. Will see more from clev and odafe this season but right now, they arent that good

Agree with deebo. Bateman was our best and only decent pick. And he’s been injured both seasons. That tells you how bad this class was. Definitely more below avg than it being above.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter

Cause bruh..
Which is why you look at process over results. 2019 and *so far* 2021 were disappointing but 2020 and *so far* 2022 were homeruns. Which nets you much better results over a 4 year span than most of the league because over time process leads to results.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
average by league standards is 2 starters and I believe Bateman can be elite and has shown the ability to be a true number 1 as well.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
average by league standards is 2 starters and I believe Bateman can be elite and has shown the ability to be a true number 1 as well.
Oh i agree with that for sure but people outside of us wont see it that way. Theyre gonna check box stats and see that he has been injured alot and not look any further

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

Cause bruh..

Rashod looks as good as they come, he is just never available. This is the year we figure out if Odafe is going to have a career here. Enough is enough with him.

Ben is trash. Stephens is not half as bad as some of us feel he is.

Wallace? BUM. (was it Roman? Don't know anymore)

and the rest are 5th rounders with little to no expectations.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Agree with deebo. Bateman was our best and only decent pick. And he’s been injured both seasons. That tells you how bad this class was. Definitely more below avg than it being above.
we don't know that Bateman was our only decent pick. We all thought PQ was a lost cause after two seasons. I believe Oweh has a breakout season this year and most of the time our OL picks tend to come around year 3. Stephens has had played all over the place and has been a valuable piece. Also in such a horrible draft class we were able to trade Shaun Wade for a 5th and a 7th, so he isn't a complete loss. We then used that 5th rounder to trade for RS.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Rashod looks as good as they come, he is just never available. This is the year we figure out if Odafe is going to have a career here. Enough is enough with him.

Ben is trash. Stephens is not half as bad as some of us feel he is.

Wallace? BUM. (was it Roman? Don't know anymore)

and the rest are 5th rounders with little to no expectations.
We don't know if Cleveland is bad yet. Everytime he's been on the field he has performed pretty well and most of the time our lineman don't get an opportunity to play significant snaps until year three.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Bateman had his screw removed and that was the reason for the cortisone shot. This video explains it.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh i agree with that for sure but people outside of us wont see it that way. Theyre gonna check box stats and see that he has been injured alot and not look any further
Who cares. You'd do the same thing looking at other teams. Other people's opinion of the Ravens is irrelevant.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Cause bruh..
I'd also point you towards the 2021 draft just at a league-wide level. It ain't great. There's some very high-end players in the top half to 2/3 of the first round, but if you just look at like the mid-20s and go back, it's a whole lot of Stephens/Oweh type players. Guys with upside who haven't materialized in the first two years, and just average starters across the board.

Pro Bowl isn't the be-all, end-all, but there's four total Pro Bowlers from the mid-20s back from that draft, and two of them were Centers. The day 2 picks in that draft are just pretty awful league-wide.

Tank

Hall of Famer
We don't know if Cleveland is bad yet. Everytime he's been on the field he has performed pretty well and most of the time our lineman don't get an opportunity to play significant snaps until year three.
He's had some nagging injuries his first 2 years as well that no one here seems to mention.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
OK but...
1. It's OTAs. It's the perfect time to figure these things out
2. They have two years of Cleveland at Guard, including camp, preseason, and regular season. Feel like they have a good idea of what they're getting there. His ability to provide positional flexibility could, quite literally, be the difference between whether he makes the team or not. He's certainly not guaranteed a roster spot. If he had the LG job locked up, he wouldn't be working out at RT.
3. Basically same as #2 for Faalele and Sala, but the opposite spectrum. What is Faalele's path to playing time as a Tackle? He's basically the #4 tackle heading into camp. If he can play Guard, he can either a) start there or b) backup there. Even if he doesn't win the starting LG battle, if he shows well enough, he's now the top backup at Guard and top 4 Tackle on the roster. That's valuable.
Sala is literally a rookie who's never played a snap in the NFL, and was a late round pick. If he's only here as a Tackle, he has literally no value for the '23 season whatsoever, and very little for next year. He's, what, the 5th tackle, at best? I don't even know if we can carry like a 10th offensive lineman who can only play on position.

Basically same mindset... your depth Olinemen have to be flexible. There just aren't enough good one's coming out of the draft that you can take a 5th or 6th rounder and think they can only play RT. They may settle in later in their career to that level, but that's just not a luxury NFL teams have.

You said yourself... if these players were high end players at their positions coming out of college, they wouldn't have been late round picks to begin with. For all we know, they've been playing out of position in College. Happens all the time.

part of ben cleveland's issue getting on the field has been his complete lack of flexibility - Colon was consistently getting the edge being active over him when it's a question

his pathway to the roster is winning LG battle - if not... he might not make the team

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm pretty sure you never liked the Cleveland pick. Good eyes.

I talked shit about him because all the cool kids are doing it... but like you I think he has a great year with us and becomes a fan favorite.

i had a 5th round grade on him lol - didnt think he could move laterally at all - turns out he doesnt finish either...

got to stay away from any prospect that Harbs likes on the OL at this point... and even moreso if their nickname is Big Country... two consecutive 3rd round picks wasted on big countries...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Which is why you look at process over results. 2019 and *so far* 2021 were disappointing but 2020 and *so far* 2022 were homeruns. Which nets you much better results over a 4 year span than most of the league because over time process leads to results.

and also if you look, the rest of the league also had tough years those years - weaker classes beget weaker classes...