• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Didn't know Pat had hip surgery. Don't know all the details but hips are a terrible surgery to have. Also Monken has never used a FB. I wonder if he's even going to make the team????

well he's gonna start on PUP - if it's that kind of serious he may not be back until mid-season or beyond
but would be shocked if he didnt make the team in some capacity (even if it's on a reserve list to begin the year...)

but we legit dont seem to have any blockers at TE or FB now on this team

i guess that's why we're seeing ben mason everywhere lol - then again we're seeing all the TEs everywhere...

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Who cares. You'd do the same thing looking at other teams. Other people's opinion of the Ravens is irrelevant.
But their opinions would be correct on that draft class that he was in for us. Like yea we know he has potential and even showed it but we have to admit that class is bad as of now

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Well if Bateman, oweh, and Stephens become at least solid contributors, which they have been so far, then it’s a decent haul from one of the historically weakest classes ever. Oweh is still a big wild card with development and Bateman is health related, Stephens has been a solid pick given where he was taken and what that class had in store
That class was considered weak? Isnt that the one with surtain, waddle and lawerenfe them? Or was that 2020

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Apparently Dobbins is sitting out because of his contract

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Apparently Dobbins is sitting out because of his contract

I don’t get it. What leverage does that dude think he got?

Split carries rookie szn.
Got hurt and missed all sophomore szn.
Was not 100% and had to get a cleanup surgery junior szn.

What team would give him an extension with that? Gotta have 1 prove it year to maximum the $$$, cause nobody gonna pay him top dollar with that resume.

redrum52

Hall of Famer

What team would give him an extension with that? Gotta have 1 prove it year to maximum the $$$, cause nobody gonna pay him top dollar with that resume.
He has none and people don't give a damn about running backs unfortunately. You've just seen Cook get cut in a market that doesn't value your position and haven't proven to be a "star". He's in a tough spot but wish him the best. I wonder what kind of compensation he wants.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

He is crazy. Is Cook still available?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
But their opinions would be correct on that draft class that he was in for us. Like yea we know he has potential and even showed it but we have to admit that class is bad as of now
Right but the '21 class league-wide was largely trash. Top heavy in the top half of the draft.
Look from like pick 20 down throughout the draft. No team is sitting there saying "yeah, we did really well".

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Honestly, the Dobbins situation is a yawn. Who cares if he sits out? He has no leverage. He ain't getting a contract. He knows this.
He'll post sometime in training camp, or by the start of the season, and he'll be making the same $.

If his performance isn't up to par early in the year because he didn't get the reps, it'll be on him. And that'll be reflected in the contract offers he gets next year also.

The only "win" for him is he works out less so he's less likely to get injured. Which benefits everybody.

If I were the Ravens, I'd do what every team should basically do with RBs... give him 200-250 carries this year, then let him walk in FA. Day 2 or Day 3 replacement next year.
Rinse repeat every four years.

Simba

Staff Member
Love Dobbins but trying for a new contract despite missing quite literally half of your career games in 3 years at the RB position is a bold move. Would be floored if it garners any results. Only way he gets that leverage is if he puts up a good, healthy season and then you can start talking.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Honestly, the Dobbins situation is a yawn. Who cares if he sits out? He has no leverage. He ain't getting a contract. He knows this.
He'll post sometime in training camp, or by the start of the season, and he'll be making the same $.

If his performance isn't up to par early in the year because he didn't get the reps, it'll be on him. And that'll be reflected in the contract offers he gets next year also.

The only "win" for him is he works out less so he's less likely to get injured. Which benefits everybody.

If I were the Ravens, I'd do what every team should basically do with RBs... give him 200-250 carries this year, then let him walk in FA. Day 2 or Day 3 replacement next year.
Rinse repeat every four years.
That’s what I’ve expected us to do anyway, I’d be surprised if this regime of ravens FO pays rbs

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Right but the '21 class league-wide was largely trash. Top heavy in the top half of the draft.
Look from like pick 20 down throughout the draft. No team is sitting there saying "yeah, we did really well".
Yea i guess since other teams draft sucked it makes it ok for us too a little bit

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
That’s what I’ve expected us to do anyway, I’d be surprised if this regime of ravens FO pays rbs
They'll pay RBs if you play like Ray Rice did on his rookie deal. I think Dobbins has the potential to have a big year this year, but lets face it, 50% of his rookie deal he dealt with injuries. You basically have to write off all of '21 and most of '22.

The potential "positive" is that because of this, he has low usage by NFL standards. 225 carries in three seasons. Most high end RBs are seeing at least that much volume in a full season.
So if he performs well in '23, and he only ends up with maybe like 150 carries, then yeah, I have optimism.

Then its just a price question. At less than $10M annually, I'm largely fine with anybody. But a big '23 and I imagine he'll want lots of $, and I wouldn't give it to him.

Regardless, he has literally no reason whatsoever to think he's earned anything other than like a very mild extension to this point.

Simba

Staff Member
They'll pay RBs if you play like Ray Rice did on his rookie deal. I think Dobbins has the potential to have a big year this year, but lets face it, 50% of his rookie deal he dealt with injuries. You basically have to write off all of '21 and most of '22.

The potential "positive" is that because of this, he has low usage by NFL standards. 225 carries in three seasons. Most high end RBs are seeing at least that much volume in a full season.
So if he performs well in '23, and he only ends up with maybe like 150 carries, then yeah, I have optimism.

Then its just a price question. At less than $10M annually, I'm largely fine with anybody. But a big '23 and I imagine he'll want lots of $, and I wouldn't give it to him.

Regardless, he has literally no reason whatsoever to think he's earned anything other than like a very mild extension to this point.
Yeah it's about the price. If he wants to be around top of the market, absolutely not. If he's looking for something kinda like Gus Edwards (but probably more in all honesty) to set himself up, I'd consider taking the risk.