• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Well since the defense cut out 4th quarter collapses for the most part last year, I’d say they’ve figured some things out
I mean they kind of did but we also started playing really bad teams at the end of the year and SOS for the season was really low in general. I still think back to the Jaguars game and that was just so unacceptable

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I mean they kind of did but we also started playing really bad teams at the end of the year and SOS for the season was really low in general. I still think back to the Jaguars game and that was just so unacceptable
Main reason for our collapses was lack of depth early imo. Oweh and PQ were gassed by the 3rd quarter, Bills game was a good example. When Bowser and co came back we were able to get some rotations.

Jags game hurt but you have to give it to TLaw that he was balling. There's so much you can do when the QB in front of you enters God Mode.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
I don’t get it. What leverage does that dude think he got?

Split carries rookie szn.
Got hurt and missed all sophomore szn.
Was not 100% and had to get a cleanup surgery junior szn.

What team would give him an extension with that? Gotta have 1 prove it year to maximum the $$$, cause nobody gonna pay him top dollar with that resume.
Exactly. It doesn't make any sense. Even if he did get a contract, it would be much lower than the deal he'd get if he has the season he's capable of having in 23.

I think he's just pissed off that he chose to play running back, and I don't blame him. They're often more talented than players that earn 10x as much over their careers, while RBs lose about 75% of their value over their rookie contracts.

The NFL should address it, because RBs are great to watch and contribute a lot to the league's 'product', but we're already seeing fewer talented players at the position than at any time I can remember.

My solution would be for every RB, from UDFAs to McCaffrey, to get an extra $1M on top of their salary for every year they're on a roster, either from a separate pot that doesn't affect the cap, or from a ring-fenced (RBs only) portion of the cap.

That would go some way to address the discrepancies in career earnings and the relative unfairness of their rookie contract in comparison to other positions. I don't think the teams or the other players would mind it too much either - everyone in the NFL knows RBs are getting a shitty deal.

Teams don't want to pay them now because it's a poor competitive decision relative to other teams, but if every team is having to pay their RBs more, there's no competitive disadvantage.

Maybe the RBs should go on a one position only strike to get a fairer share of revenue?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Exactly. It doesn't make any sense. Even if he did get a contract, it would be much lower than the deal he'd get if he has the season he's capable of having in 23.

I think he's just pissed off that he chose to play running back, and I don't blame him. They're often more talented than players that earn 10x as much over their careers, while RBs lose about 75% of their value over their rookie contracts.

The NFL should address it, because RBs are great to watch and contribute a lot to the league's 'product', but we're already seeing fewer talented players at the position than at any time I can remember.

My solution would be for every RB, from UDFAs to McCaffrey, to get an extra $1M on top of their salary for every year they're on a roster, either from a separate pot that doesn't affect the cap, or from a ring-fenced (RBs only) portion of the cap.

That would go some way to address the discrepancies in career earnings and the relative unfairness of their rookie contract in comparison to other positions. I don't think the teams or the other players would mind it too much either - everyone in the NFL knows RBs are getting a shitty deal.

Teams don't want to pay them now because it's a poor competitive decision relative to other teams, but if every team is having to pay their RBs more, there's no competitive disadvantage.

Maybe the RBs should go on a one position only strike to get a fairer share of revenue?
Its gonna be hard to for the rbs to get what they want out of the nfl.. maybe more guaranteed money? Allow them to get a new really early into their rookie contract? Idk but its gonna be tough or dam near impossible for them.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Main reason for our collapses was lack of depth early imo. Oweh and PQ were gassed by the 3rd quarter, Bills game was a good example. When Bowser and co came back we were able to get some rotations.

Jags game hurt but you have to give it to TLaw that he was balling. There's so much you can do when the QB in front of you enters God Mode.
I believe the main reason was the DB's were almost all rookies early in the season and we were playing Peters on a pitch count.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

The Miami game was by far the worst one. Our offense put on a show

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not excusing the D, but other than the big run by Lamar the O pretty much shit the bed in the second half of that game.

Defense let loose for 28 points.

Most of that was the injuries we had to the secondary

Tank

Hall of Famer
Defense let loose for 28 points.

Most of that was the injuries we had to the secondary
Yeah, no doubt. But the consistent offensive production was pretty much all in the 2nd quarter. The 3 to 5 play drives in the second half didn't help the floundering D at all.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Its gonna be hard to for the rbs to get what they want out of the nfl.. maybe more guaranteed money? Allow them to get a new really early into their rookie contract? Idk but its gonna be tough or dam near impossible for them.
There are lots of ways to work it out - from a ring fenced portion of the cap, to payments per yard gained - but the league has no motivation to do so yet - though I think that's short sighted. When the talent at RB eventually dries up the sport will suffer.

RBs should strike for pay matching their talent.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Pretty sure without major injuries we're only going to add Houston to this team.

Offense (25)

QB (3)
Lamar, Johnson, Huntley/AB

RB (3)
JK, Gus, Hill

TE/FB (4)
Andrews, Likely, Kolar, Ricard

OL (9)
Stanley, Simpson, Linderbaum, Zeitler, Moses, Faalele, Mekari, Mustipher, Sala

WR (6)
OBJ, Bateman, Flowers, Agholor, Duvernay, Wallace

Defense (25)

DL (6)
Washington, Pierce, Madabuike, Urban, Jones, Blackson

OLB (5)
Ojabo, Oweh, Robinson, Houston, Bowser

ILB (4)
Roquan, Queen, Simpson, Ross

CB (6)
Marlon, RYS, JAD, KBK, Pepe, Mullen

S (4)
Williams, Hamilton, Stone, Stephens

Wolfpack (3)
Tucker, Stout, Moore

Familiar faces who miss out
AB / Huntley
Ben Cleveland
Keaton Mitchell
Proche, Demus, Treadwell
Welch, Phillips, Harrison
Worley, Seymour, Ardarius Washington

Last edited:

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
There are lots of ways to work it out - from a ring fenced portion of the cap, to payments per yard gained - but the league has no motivation to do so yet - though I think that's short sighted. When the talent at RB eventually dries up the sport will suffer.

RBs should strike for pay matching their talent.
I dnt think they can ever get a price match. They basically have the shortest nfl span

Pretty sure without major injuries we're only going to add Houston to this team.

Offense (25)

QB (3)
Lamar, Johnson, Huntley/AB

RB (3)
JK, Gus, Hill

TE/FB (4)
Andrews, Likely, Kolar, Ricard

OL (9)
Stanley, Simpson, Linderbaum, Zeitler, Moses, Faalele, Mekari, Mustipher, Sala

WR (6)
OBJ, Bateman, Flowers, Agholor, Duvernay, Wallace

Defense (25)