• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

Simba

Staff Member
Pretty sure without major injuries we're only going to add Houston to this team.

Offense (25)

QB (3)
Lamar, Johnson, Huntley/AB

RB (3)
JK, Gus, Hill

TE/FB (4)
Andrews, Likely, Kolar, Ricard

OL (9)
Stanley, Simpson, Linderbaum, Zeitler, Moses, Faalele, Mekari, Mustipher, Sala

WR (6)
OBJ, Bateman, Flowers, Agholor, Duvernay, Wallace

Defense (25)

DL (6)
Washington, Pierce, Madabuike, Urban, Jones, Blackson

OLB (5)
Ojabo, Oweh, Robinson, Houston, Bowser

ILB (4)
Roquan, Queen, Simpson, Ross

CB (6)
Marlon, RYS, JAD, KBK, Pepe, Mullen

S (4)
Williams, Hamilton, Stone, Stephens

Wolfpack (3)
Tucker, Stout, Moore

Familiar faces who miss out
AB / Huntley
Ben Cleveland
Keaton Mitchell
Proche, Demus, Treadwell
Welch, Phillips, Harrison
Worley, Seymour, Ardarius Washington
I'm not too far off of you as of now, but definitely struggle with that ILB group looking like that. Harrison, Welch, and Phillips were all among the top STers last year and I have a hard time believing all of those guys are left off. Think there's absolutely a chance one ends up odd man out but see no way it's all 3.

Think you could easily see a guy like Blackson get cut but end up on the PS and eventually the 53 in short order.

To me, CB is still the most intriguing battle here. Wish they were competing for CB4/5 rather than CB3/4 but is what it is right now. Really only 3-4 sure things there with Marlo, RYS, KBK, and maybe Pepe. Mullen, Seymour, Ar'Darius, Worley, maybe even JAD likely all fighting.

Basically, predicting a 53 is hard business nowadays with all of the flexibility.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
God I’m so excited to see this offense

IMG_6710.jpeg

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I'm not too far off of you as of now, but definitely struggle with that ILB group looking like that. Harrison, Welch, and Phillips were all among the top STers last year and I have a hard time believing all of those guys are left off. Think there's absolutely a chance one ends up odd man out but see no way it's all 3.

Think you could easily see a guy like Blackson get cut but end up on the PS and eventually the 53 in short order.

To me, CB is still the most intriguing battle here. Wish they were competing for CB4/5 rather than CB3/4 but is what it is right now. Really only 3-4 sure things there with Marlo, RYS, KBK, and maybe Pepe. Mullen, Seymour, Ar'Darius, Worley, maybe even JAD likely all fighting.

Basically, predicting a 53 is hard business nowadays with all of the flexibility.
Yeah maybe Ross is replaced with Welch. But I can't see Harrison making the team. Also, Simpson will play STs and so that's not a big deal replacing one.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I don't think they have to do anything. Mostly because its not a problem at all.
For starters, nobody is going to green light a "payment per rush yard" aspect, because the more valuable RBs are more effective as receivers than rushers anyway, and not even the RBs themselves would want to tie compensation to production. Players, generally, despise that thought process.

Without knowing, my guess is the NFLPA has clauses in their union agreements that make it extremely illegal to form separate unions while staying within the current union. And I don't think an attempt to do so would result in anything other than RBs making even less $ than they do now, because there's literally hundreds, if not thousands, of college RBs who can't even get a tryout for an NFL team, that would play with one arm for $500K a year. Or more.

I don't think the NFL has to do anything at all, because its not a problem. Who thinks its a problem? We know the fans don't, because the fans are what created this. Fans don't give a shit about RBs. Ratings and revenue is correlated very tightly to the emphasis of more passing, more points, and less "three yards and a cloud of dust". The only guys beating the drum for RBs are old guys who liked "smash mouthed football" who also don't have the balls to stop watching. The NFL owns them.

Moreover, if the supply of quality RBs decreases, that's GREAT for RBs. Why? Well what happens to prices when supply decreases and demand stays the same? They go up. If there's hundreds or thousands of less qualified RBs, it makes the one's that are qualified more valuable. Thereby driving up the price point.

Literally the reason why RBs are so devalued today is because there's so many of them, and they're so interchangeable from a talent perspective, that teams are just like "who gives a shit, I could largely put anybody out there". When there's less of them, and the talent gap gets larger between them, that creates higher wages for the higher end players.

See Quarterbacks.
Its 3x the wrs than running backs and they get a pretty penny.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
God I’m so excited to see this offense

View attachment 5434
2019 Lamar Jackson going to make a comeback. I really think we are going to be in the AFC Championship Game or the Super Bowl, no more Greg Roman holding back this offense and the rest of the league is going to wish Greg Roman was still holding our offense back.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
If Mullen had to spell RYS or Marlon for a couple of drives if they get shaken up are we gonna be scared for our lives? Lol. Or is he actually an NFL corner just not a good one?

Simba

Staff Member
Yeah maybe Ross is replaced with Welch. But I can't see Harrison making the team. Also, Simpson will play STs and so that's not a big deal replacing one.
Harrison played the most ST snaps on the team last year and has inside/outside LB versatility. May not have turned into what he should have but he's putting together an Albert McClellan-like career and should hang around the league for awhile, here or not.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Absolutely nothing wrong with Bateman. We will know more this season with Oweh and Cleveland whenever he has played has performed well. Stephens is ok also. Nothing wrong with this class. It may not be elite, but it's above average with the starters that have come from it. Once Bateman went down with an injury our offense was cooked.
Unfair but presently not staying healthy is what is wrong with Bateman, hoping that changes this year for our whole team. We get mocked for our injuries now

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ideally we see a mid season addition to the defensive line or backfield like Peters in 2019, and we go and win the Super Bowl. I’m calling it

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Really hoping to see this and multiple TE sets utilized more. Not sure if Roman or Lamar or combination, but god damn the checkdowns are so open so many times and Lamar never even looks
Im starting to think that “ taking what the defense gives you” as a qb is actually harder than it sounds. Ive only seen guys like brady, manning and now pat actually take advantage of that consistently.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Quick, everyone make gambling accounts under the names Joe Burrow, JaMarr Chase, Kenny Pickett, Joey Porter Jr, Deshaun Watson, Nick Chubb abd whoever else.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Ok don't take this seriously because I find it ridiculous. It's just so many layers of nonsense but I'll just say it because idk I had to hear it so now you do too.

My father has a friend who does security for Ray Lewis supposedly. Ray told him, who told my dad, who told me...... (again please don't think I'm asserting that I believe this, I don't) that Lamar's knee is still hurt. He claims that for it to be fully healed he needs a surgery, but Lamar insists that he doesn't need it and avoided it as to not hurt his contract value. Ray is apparently fearful that Lamar us going into the season not at 100% and is why he is so focused on passing and not running.