• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Lamar post I believe last year on his twitter page that he had a borderline grade 3 PCL sprain. Unless he was lying then that typical requires surgery

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
How does it benefit the team? It prevents the player from thinking you dnt care. The whole media was saying lamar couldve played yet the team didnt once come out and stand up for him? You dnt think that would make a player feel some type of way? Bateman isnt the only player.. what about dobbins and stanley? Again, im not saying he needs surgery, in simply saying that this wouldnt be the first time our team messed it up with an injured player
What about them? What did the team botch in those cases? Did they force Dobbins or Stanley to play when they didn't want to? If I recall, wasn't it Dobbins shooting his mouth off in the preseason, saying how ready he was and that the team was holding him back, then it turns out he wasn't ready at all and needed an in-season procedure?

As long as the team is standing behind the player privately, the player shouldn't be so emotionally fragile that he needs public validation. If he is, that's on him.

And ironically, you already agreed with me. You didn't even realize it. You want the team to publicly acknowledge the severity of an injury, and then if they're wrong about it, guess what? You blame the team for it.

In reality... you want the team to publicly disclose player injuries if, and only if, they're actually accurate with their timelines. If they're not, they're criticized either way.

Again, welcome to the stupidity of fans.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar post I believe last year on his twitter page that he had a borderline grade 3 PCL sprain. Unless he was lying then that typical requires surgery
I think you'll find the literature on said injuries leave open wide ranges and outcomes. A grade 3 is essentially a tear of the PCL. Plenty of people, even athletes, don't get surgery for that. It's just the recovery time tends to be longer than it would seem for a sprain. Typically three months or longer.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Is that true? I thought PCLs typically didn't need surgery. But maybe grade 3?

Edit: Others above have said no surgery

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
No surgery.

It's strange to me there has been no reporting, that I am aware of anyway, mentioning anything about his injury, its status, or treatment of it since the whole debacle of him not traveling with the team to the Playoff game. Even thru all of the pre-contract signing months where it seemed a forgone conclusion that he would be traded. That's bizarre to me.

Tank

Hall of Famer
It's strange to me there has been no reporting, that I am aware of anyway, mentioning anything about his injury, its status, or treatment of it since the whole debacle of him not traveling with the team to the Playoff game. Even thru all of the pre-contract signing months where it seemed a forgone conclusion that he would be traded. That's bizarre to me.
Yeah, kinda the same as the year before with his ankle, or whatever it was.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Why is it bizarre though? Once the Ravens lose in the playoffs, nobody cares about his injury status anymore, because there's meaningful games being played for the next month.
After that, Feb is a dead period, and Mar is FA. And we spent all of Mar and April more worried about his contract situation, franchise tag, trade demands, etc. They were more important than his injury.

And by the time that's all wrapped up, he's seemingly healed.

A lot of players have surgeries in Jan, Feb, Mar, etc. from the prior season. Sometimes they're rarely discussed, unless they impact OTAs or training camp. If these guys are recovering from injury or even getting surgery and recover, and they're healed within like six months of surgery, then its really a non-story.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Why is it bizarre though? Once the Ravens lose in the playoffs, nobody cares about his injury status anymore, because there's meaningful games being played for the next month.
After that, Feb is a dead period, and Mar is FA. And we spent all of Mar and April more worried about his contract situation, franchise tag, trade demands, etc. They were more important than his injury.

And by the time that's all wrapped up, he's seemingly healed.

A lot of players have surgeries in Jan, Feb, Mar, etc. from the prior season. Sometimes they're rarely discussed, unless they impact OTAs or training camp. If these guys are recovering from injury or even getting surgery and recover, and they're healed within like six months of surgery, then its really a non-story.
I wouldn't really expect a different response, but I disagree completely. Discussion of season ending injuries for starting QB's are never just ignored in the off-season - not by the press, but here they have been, evidently. Maybe you're talking about average depth players, idk. But to have precisely ZERO discussion of rehab or status of a marquee player's injury during the offseason is bizarre.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wouldn't really expect a different response, but I disagree completely. Discussion of season ending injuries for starting QB's are never just ignored in the off-season - not by the press, but here they have been, evidently. Maybe you're talking about average depth players, idk. But to have precisely ZERO discussion of rehab or status of a marquee player's injury during the offseason is bizarre.
OK, but who do you expect to give you that info?
The team rarely comments on this stuff, nor should they. Especially when the injury doesn't even require surgery.
So where are you getting the info from? It either has to come from Lamar, or his agent. He doesn't have an agent...

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
OK, but who do you expect to give you that info?
The team rarely comments on this stuff, nor should they. Especially when the injury doesn't even require surgery.
So where are you getting the info from? It either has to come from Lamar, or his agent. He doesn't have an agent...
It's clearly a slow day on PR. lol. I don't feel like jousting with you. It's bizarre.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's clearly a slow day on PR. lol. I don't feel like jousting with you. It's bizarre.
lol OK. I think if you spent even a few seconds thinking about where you would get that info from, it'll dawn on you pretty quickly that its not that bizarre.
When the only person who's going to give public info on the injury is the player, and said player is in a heated contract dispute and desperately trying to get as much leverage as they can, the only thing "bizarre" would be for him to publicly discuss any injury at all.
THAT would be "bizarre".

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
a few months ago a reporter asked how his knee was and he said it was 100% healed.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
a few months ago a reporter asked how his knee was and he said it was 100% healed.
Thanks. lol. I'm only pointing out that there has been no mention of the injury at all other than that statement, which I must have missed. If this had been Patrick Mahommes injured and the Chefs crapping out of the Playoffs as a result, I think there would have been some discussion and inquiry about his status in the 6 months since the end of the season. I just find it....... bizarre. Puzzling, perhaps, that no mainstream or hometown reporter has done any probing. But as long as Lamar says he's 100%, I guess that'll suffice. hahaha

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
lol OK. I think if you spent even a few seconds thinking about where you would get that info from, it'll dawn on you pretty quickly that its not that bizarre.
When the only person who's going to give public info on the injury is the player, and said player is in a heated contract dispute and desperately trying to get as much leverage as they can, the only thing "bizarre" would be for him to publicly discuss any injury at all.
THAT would be "bizarre".
This is a ridiculous response. Nothing since the signing either. BIZARRE! lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is a ridiculous response. Nothing since the signing either. BIZARRE! lol
Umm... Lamar addressed his injury directly in early May. Saying that he was fully healed a month prior, which was early April.

It's bizarre that you seem to be the only one who doesn't know this.

I'm borderline considering the possibility that you're just trolling at this point, but I think that may be giving too much credit. I think its just willful ignorance...

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Umm... Lamar addressed his injury directly in early May. Saying that he was fully healed a month prior, which was early April.

It's bizarre that you seem to be the only one who doesn't know this.

I'm borderline considering the possibility that you're just trolling at this point, but I think that may be giving too much credit. I think its just willful ignorance...
I'm absolutely trolling you. lol

A simple Google search shows only 4 instances of Lamar's season ending PCL injury being discussed at all from December 5th thru May 4th when he announced he was healthy. I missed that. The December and January articles were about his playing or not so they don't even get to what I'm pointing out.

I still find it interesting, shocking even, that progress wasn't discussed or covered by the press more, given the level to which the injury and it's severity was discussed as being both suspect and the seriousness potentially hidden early on. If you can't understand my inquisitiveness about it that's cool. You don't find it bizarre, I do. And as long as I keep saying that I think it's bizarre - trolling you - you'll keep responding that it's not. lol

30+ page 1 Google results and only 2 reasonably recent mentions... April and early May; and those from Lamar declaring his health. After all that uncertainty about severity... I just find it odd. I guess I'm the only one.

It's still bizarre to me that it was never followed up on given the traction the injury got, its impact on our Playoffs, and the contract. I find it bizarre.
Almost as much your need to respond over and over.
moth-light-bulb.gif

Last edited:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm absolutely trolling you. lol

A simple Google search shows only 4 instances of Lamar's season ending PCL injury being discussed at all from December 5th thru May 4th when he announced he was healthy. I missed that. The December and January articles were about his playing or not so they don't even get to what I'm pointing out.

I still find it interesting, shocking even, that progress wasn't discussed or covered by the press more, given the level to which the injury and it's severity was discussed as being both suspect and the seriousness potentially hidden early on. If you can't understand my inquisitiveness about it that's cool. You don't find it bizarre, I do. And as long as I keep saying that I think it's bizarre - trolling you - you'll keep responding that it's not. lol

30+ page 1 Google results and only 2 reasonably recent mentions... April and early May; and those from Lamar declaring his health. After all that uncertainty about severity... I just find it odd. I guess I'm the only one.

It's still bizarre to me that it was never followed up on given the traction the injury got, its impact on our Playoffs, and the contract. I find it bizarre.
Almost as much your need to respond over and over.
View attachment 5437
What's also bizarre is that you don't seem to understand what trolling means...
But then again its not that bizarre, because its very "on brand". Carry on with the conspiracy kid. Tell the guy at the shop I said they're meeting expectations.