• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I’m in almost full agreement here as of now.

Obviously swap in whatever vets we actually sign at OLB and CB.

My only other thing is that I think they might opt for another DB on the roster if they can. Could easily be someone like Seymour going to the PS and getting elevated, but still don’t want to count out Ar’Darius. You also missed Pepe and I don’t know if that’s injury related or not, but would think one of those 2 will stick pending health of course.
My guess was Pepe is gonna get IR'd. If you keep Kevon, Daryl, or Ardarius, who are you cutting?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Doesn't look far off.

If he keeps looking good, I might be tempted to keep Vokolek on the 53 and go with 5 WRs, on the basis that none of the WR6 candidates are particularly special. If we lose one off the PS, oh well, there's more where he came from. If everyone's healthy, they wouldn't get many snaps on offense with so many mouths to feed in the passing game as it is.
Don't know anything about Vokoleks blocking capabilities. If he was a monster blocker than maybe but I doubt it right now. Seems like a prime PS guy.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
lol, OK. You’re obviously very fond of Hill and that’s OK. But I think if you look at it objectively a healthy Gus Edwards is the proven and much better option.
Yeah you're just using Roman level data and that's why you're coming to the wrong conclusion. I would have thought the same thing as you prior to camp. But this offense is different.

Tank

Hall of Famer
It’s not me. It’s obvious and all of the beat writers are agreeing right now. Hill has been ahead of Edwards throughout camp.
They are obviously taking it slow with Gus, no reason to work him hard pre season given his previous ACL, and then hamstring issue from last year, and they already know what he’s capable of. Again, people, including writers, put too much into what goes on in camp and pre season, especially given the the CBA has restricted what they can do.
I think you’ll see come September who is ahead of who, and barring injury Gus will be over Hill.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Yeah you're just using Roman level data and that's why you're coming to the wrong conclusion. I would have thought the same thing as you prior to camp. But this offense is different.
Hooty Brown could be the OC, lol Gus is still the more accomplished and proven player.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Hooty Brown could be the OC, lol Gus is still the more accomplished and proven player.
But that is a fact. Gus Edwards is the more accomplished and proven rusher. I don't think there's anyone who would disagree with that.

That being said, Monkens philosophy is players in space. That is Hill way more than it is Gus. Subsequently, Hill has rolled with the 1s the entire camp and then was given the start on the PS game with an early exit.

Gus came in later also with limited action. I don't think anyone thinks Gus is going to be cut, but I'd very much expect him to be a situational guy this year far more than he has been.

Hill is probably RB2 in this offense.

Tank

Hall of Famer
But that is a fact. Gus Edwards is the more accomplished and proven rusher. I don't think there's anyone who would disagree with that.

That being said, Monkens philosophy is players in space. That is Hill way more than it is Gus. Subsequently, Hill has rolled with the 1s the entire camp and then was given the start on the PS game with an early exit.

Gus came in later also with limited action. I don't think anyone thinks Gus is going to be cut, but I'd very much expect him to be a situational guy this year far more than he has been.

Hill is probably RB2 in this offense.
I think you guys put too much into “rolled with the 1s” and other things from camp. Just my opinion, but with RBs and even other vets, I think pre season usage means very little.

We’ll see how it shakes out come September, and Dobbins’ situation clouds things even further.

Simba

Staff Member
Don't know anything about Vokoleks blocking capabilities. If he was a monster blocker than maybe but I doubt it right now. Seems like a prime PS guy.
Not totally convinced on Mitchell yet so him for now. Certainly understand the appeal but just feel like guys like him exist all over the place - are quick and shifty but if hands get in them they’re down.

Simba

Staff Member
They are obviously taking it slow with Gus, no reason to work him hard pre season given his previous ACL, and then hamstring issue from last year, and they already know what he’s capable of. Again, people, including writers, put too much into what goes on in camp and pre season, especially given the the CBA has restricted what they can do.
I think you’ll see come September who is ahead of who, and barring injury Gus will be over Hill.
If they were just taking it slow, he wouldn’t have played at all yesterday.

Tank

Hall of Famer
If they were just taking it slow, he wouldn’t have played at all yesterday.
An article I read said just that, that he probably wouldn’t play, and he played very little. They are definitely taking it slow with him, and many other vets as well. That’s how pre season goes. lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer
He’ll get the hang of it with more time

Also shoutout to @Edgar

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Not totally convinced on Mitchell yet so him for now. Certainly understand the appeal but just feel like guys like him exist all over the place - are quick and shifty but if hands get in them they’re down.
I agree. We've thought it was gonna be 4 RBs because of Gordon signing and the JK situation and generally being lower on Justice. But I think they're actually really confident in our top 3 RBs.

Means as you said that you could keep an Ardarius or Kevon. Or Hamm. Or maybe Hamm gets a spot outright instead of signing a Clowney. Idk.

Next 2 games are gonna be interesting, primarily for Keaton and Hamm imo

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Offensive line spotlight: Ravens offensive tackle Daniel Faalele was the highest-graded offensive lineman from the contest. He finished the game with a 74.1 initial overall grade from a 77.7 pass-blocking grade and 71.9 run-blocking grade. He played both right and left tackle and did not give up any pressure on the night.

I want him to succeed so bad.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Offensive line spotlight: Ravens offensive tackle Daniel Faalele was the highest-graded offensive lineman from the contest. He finished the game with a 74.1 initial overall grade from a 77.7 pass-blocking grade and 71.9 run-blocking grade. He played both right and left tackle and did not give up any pressure on the night.

He's probably RT next year

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

i still remember what our resident Jet fan said about him, so that's even more motivation....for us atleast

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i agree with this statement. I'm just hoping he's a little better than just a quick and shifty rb.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m in almost full agreement here as of now.

Obviously swap in whatever vets we actually sign at OLB and CB.

My only other thing is that I think they might opt for another DB on the roster if they can. Could easily be someone like Seymour going to the PS and getting elevated, but still don’t want to count out Ar’Darius. You also missed Pepe and I don’t know if that’s injury related or not, but would think one of those 2 will stick pending health of course.

yeah and im not as convinced as others are that mitchell showed that he deserves to be on the roster unless he's potentially in a competition with duv for returning duties

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My thoughts are that Gus is a lock, already proven as a possible starter. Hill on the bubble if not for his ST play, let’s see what he’s got. Kinda like starting JJ, get a look and see if it’s him or maybe Brown that signs to the PS. Obviously, Snoop is head and shoulders above both and looks to be QB2.

but you're ignoring the fact that hill has been repping with the 1s and gus the 2s in practice too - if this was a let's see what he's got... gus wouldnt have been playing at all (let alone deep into the 3rd quarter)
hill's absolutely not on the bubble