• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I’m by no means saying I’m expecting it to happen, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if Harbaugh is not the coach of this team next season. If it does happen, I think it’s more his choice than anything though. Even if he did get “fired” I feel like the team would give him the opportunity to paint it in another direction.
I've been wondering if he might retire if they plan on firing him. He's won a Super Bowl, made some money. He's been with us so long maybe he's not interested in starting over with a new team. Pure speculation though.

Simba

Staff Member
I agree with you 100%. I think I could see Harbaugh step down due to him being tired. He looks exhausted man. I think if Harbaugh is gone it's less because he was fired and more that he is tired of the drama.
This is the big thing to me. He's always been an up and down personality but he straight up looked like he wasn't having fun out there for the better portion of this year.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Greg Roman cost us Hollywood and if Roman costs us Dobbins too....... we better be firing Greg Roman tomorrow.
So this explains exactly in a nutshell why I think you get rid of coaches before players. You don't invest franchise time in scouting and drafting who you feel is the best pick in the best position, see success with them on the pro field, only to let them walk when the team isn't winning. Dobbins called out what fans and commentators have been observing for years. You adjust with additions and subtractions from coaching positions before letting especially quality players walk or dropped.

Altho I think trading Hollywood was more a function of how much he was going to cost us in FA than anything else.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree with you 100%. I think I could see Harbaugh step down due to him being tired. He looks exhausted man. I think if Harbaugh is gone it's less because he was fired and more that he is tired of the drama.
This is the big thing to me. He's always been an up and down personality but he straight up looked like he wasn't having fun out there for the better portion of this year.

He won’t step down. Don’t think you get paid if you step down. Only if you’re X’d. And he just signed an extension. So he’ll be back.. coaching with enthusiasm unknown to mankind!

Simba

Staff Member
He won’t step down. Don’t think you get paid if you step down. Only if you’re X’d. And he just signed an extension. So he’ll be back.. coaching with enthusiasm unknown to mankind!
I'm by no means saying he's gone. Just that it wouldn't surprise me. I know I'm operating on optics only here but he's been looking and acting like a guy that's fed up and tired. Even if he doesn't step away from the game entirely, he might just want a change at some point too.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I observe cracks in the armor of the steadfast John Harbaugh supporters in the thread responding to last night's loss. I understand patience and resisting systematic change in favor of continuity. I began running out of patience before Lamar invigorated a stagnant team and pulled John's butt out of the fire. If Lamar had been a flop, JH would have been shown the door in 2017. Lamar - a WR to experts accross the league, but a generational QB to a genius Ozzie Newsome, saved John Harbaugh in 2017. There I said it.... again.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Dez was outspoken about our offensive scheme. Then, Hollywood successfully requested a trade. Now, Dobbins has blasted the coaching decision to refuse to feed him the rock in the RZ yet again. This is a huge (yet easy) decision for Harbs on how he sees this offense moving forward with Lamar's future at stake.

I think the team meeting is at 1pm today but I think there's media availability so I'm really curious to know what comes out of that meeting.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
My off season goals in no particular order

1) Sign Lamar Jackson immediately. If EDC is gonna trade him, do it immediately. No pussyfootung around wasting the 23 season because of a few dollars.

2) Get Houston and Peters to come back on friendly deals. Both Houston and Peters have stated they want to be here.

3) Find a new OC at bare minimum. The offensive philosophy has to change. Someone needs to come in a solve the Lamar Jackson puzzle.

4) Bring in 1 top end WR. Whether it's Hopkins, Thomas, Chark, JSN idc. Find someone.

5) Extend Zeitler, attempt to bring back Powers on a friendly deal. If not Ben Cleveland SZN and draft a guard.

6) The Proche and Wallace experiments are over.

7) Draft DL, CB, RB, OG, WR