• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

Simba

Staff Member
My position by position thoughts:

QB: Obviously depends on what happens with Lamar. Should be looking for a better backup if we can, assuming Lamar says.

RB: Dobbins is RB1. Try to rework Edwards' deal. If you can't work something out, I can think of worse things than Drake and/or Hill at the minimum. Should probably throw another mid round draft pick at the position regardless.

WR: The big one. Would love to add a true WR1 but know that's difficult price wise. Think we need to add 2-3 quality guys here in FA or the draft. Bateman and Duvernay are the only locks. Wallace should be good for the back end of the depth chart.

TE: Only question here for me is do we re-sign Oliver. Highly dependent on the offensive philosophy.

OL: Big question here is G between Zeitler and Powers. Would love to keep both but if you can only get 1, I think you have replacement options in house. Would add some mid round depth on the interior if that's how it plays out.

DL: Assuming Campbell retires, that's the big loss here. Everyone else is pretty damn solid. Need to get a run stopper in minimum so the DL doesn't fall apart with Calais.

OLB: You have a solid trio to build on. If you can retain Houston for similar money as the last 2 years, keep that train rolling. Would look to draft another guy here too, but doesn't have to be a high pick.

ILB: I've got nothing here. Position solved.

CB: Next to WR, this is the big one for me. I think you work to retain guys like Worley and Seymour. I thought all along that they'd like to have Peters back, but I think they're going to move on. Would almost rather prioritize WR in FA and then hit CB early and heavy in the draft.

S: Not too much to add here either. Clark is likely gone. Hamilton continues to play a ton and think there are no issues as long as Stone returns. Maybe add some depth but I'm not pressed here.

ST: Stout isn't in any danger but I would add a veteran for camp just to keep him honest.

All in all, most of the needs are depth and could be filled by cheap vets and/or mid round draft picks. CB, WR, and to a lesser extent DL are my biggest concerns sans Lamar.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
We lost 4 of our last 5. Were really like to not be 1-6 in our last 7. This team really fell apart without Lamar. FO wake the fuck up. You fucked up not signing Lamar last season. Sign him and lets get this team right.
Here's why. Because the team (offensive philosophy) has been built around Lamar. He's the foundation! However, without solid and strong support around him (i.e. bonafide studs at WR, killer RBs and dawgs for TEs, etc.), and the creative (not pedestrian and generic) playcalling to highlight the strengths of the "supporting cast" around Lamar (or his stand-in); it all goes to hell when he's out. Just my 2 cents.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I'm not really talking about anyone in specific. I'm just saying, it might be like with Roquan, time to just steal someone's totally proven guy. I know that is harder to do at WR than ILB but it's not impossible

i mean sure - but the 2019 draft class was pretty uniquely deep and also a bunch of them were not 1st round picks so no 5th year option

not sure there's that many guys gonna be available

in terms of really high quality guys loads of the 2020 guys were 1st rounders so have the 5th year option so those clubs have no reason to do anything about them for at least another year unless those guys want out of those situations - and the day 2 guys are high quality but maybe not the bonafide stars that their 2019 peers were: Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr and idk that i see the Bengals giving up Tee to a division rival lol

so we're looking at near-future free agents - Mike Evans if the Bucs decide they're going full rebuild but I reckon it'll take a lot of picks to get him
Hopkins clearly available but if not Evans, Godwin might be, Brandin Cooks

i guess im just not convinced about giving up tons of draft capital for any of those names outside of Evans who seems an unreasonable get

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know he's a tight end but I think at times we undervalue how good Mark Andrew's really is . Surrounding him with a number 1 wide receiver would be good but if The Ravens can atleast get just a solid receiver at the level of Anquan Boldin or Torrey Smith that probably would help alot with this offense to go along with Bateman and Duvernay.

we need options and depth

dont need world beaters everywhere when we've got a superstar in Andrews and a guy in Bateman who's already basically uncoverable (but is also unfortunately apparently made of glass)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i mean sure - but the 2019 draft class was pretty uniquely deep and also a bunch of them were not 1st round picks so no 5th year option

not sure there's that many guys gonna be available

in terms of really high quality guys loads of the 2020 guys were 1st rounders so have the 5th year option so those clubs have no reason to do anything about them for at least another year unless those guys want out of those situations - and the day 2 guys are high quality but maybe not the bonafide stars that their 2019 peers were: Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr and idk that i see the Bengals giving up Tee to a division rival lol

so we're looking at near-future free agents - Mike Evans if the Bucs decide they're going full rebuild but I reckon it'll take a lot of picks to get him
Hopkins clearly available but if not Evans, Godwin might be, Brandin Cooks

i guess im just not convinced about giving up tons of draft capital for any of those names outside of Evans who seems an unreasonable get
I'm thinking Evans and Cooks are gonna be available. Hopkins obviously is. I really think Cooks could be good here

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
If Harbs decides to bring back Roman I'm saying fuck it, make Brian Flores the head coach and bring in Reich at OC.

Idk what I'm talking about so put me on public blast of you think that's stupid AF but I'd go get people who were definitely good coaches able to do good things in far worse positions than we are now. I'm not so sure about young inexperienced guys

rossihunter2

Staff Member
CB: Next to WR, this is the big one for me. I think you work to retain guys like Worley and Seymour. I thought all along that they'd like to have Peters back, but I think they're going to move on. Would almost rather prioritize WR in FA and then hit CB early and heavy in the draft.

just taking a quick look at the draft and free agency that feels like a good way to do it anyway

pay a little extra for a few sure things (even if nothing spectacular) at WR and the CB class seems to have a lot more names at the top of the class that draft people seem excited about than at WR

would make some people on twitter's heads explode though if we spent another 1st round pick on defence if there's a guy they all like available (im guessing ravens twitter and probably here are gonna fall in love with JSN... and tbf, it's possible that ill be there right along with them depending on how the rest of the class shapes up)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm thinking Evans and Cooks are gonna be available. Hopkins obviously is. I really think Cooks could be good here

oh for sure - think they would all add value

but they're all a little older (not the end of the world) but they also won't be cheap and we're going to have to be super careful with our cap space

the one benefit to a trade though is that it doesnt have to happen early in free agency and in fact may only have to happen around draft time which gives you an extra 2 months to negotiate with lamar if you need to

also added wrinkle with hopkins (and i imagine evans probably too) is that they're gonna want an extension

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
It be interesting to see what The Rams do with Allen Robinson. Not sure why it didn't work out but he's a guy I would be interested in. Obviously of course there's Odell Beckham as well

Simba

Staff Member
just taking a quick look at the draft and free agency that feels like a good way to do it anyway

pay a little extra for a few sure things (even if nothing spectacular) at WR and the CB class seems to have a lot more names at the top of the class that draft people seem excited about than at WR

would make some people on twitter's heads explode though if we spent another 1st round pick on defence if there's a guy they all like available (im guessing ravens twitter and probably here are gonna fall in love with JSN... and tbf, it's possible that ill be there right along with them depending on how the rest of the class shapes up)
As always, it depends on prospect availability and what we do in FA... but that 1st rounder to me would lean CB, WR, or DL as of right now.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
although I don't think there is a chance in hell that Roman is back, I'd understand where you are coming from, but I'd still follow them, because I don't mind knocking my head against a wall and yelling at my TV every week.

I'd really like to see you back in the Forum Mock!

Yeah I don’t think he will be either. But it is clear that something just isn’t right with this team. I think getting answers on Lamar and the OC situation will help. Ravens certainly had the talent to go far this year, even with Huntley playing. I think that is what is most frustrating.

I have gotten rusty but I’ll probably be in it. Should be fun

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah I don’t think he will be either. But it is clear that something just isn’t right with this team. I think getting answers on Lamar and the OC situation will help. Ravens certainly had the talent to go far this year, even with Huntley playing. I think that is what is most frustrating.

I have gotten rusty but I’ll probably be in it. Should be fun
definitely will be.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler

QB: Obviously depends on what happens with Lamar. Should be looking for a better backup if we can, assuming Lamar says.

RB: Dobbins is RB1. Try to rework Edwards' deal. If you can't work something out, I can think of worse things than Drake and/or Hill at the minimum. Should probably throw another mid round draft pick at the position regardless.

WR: The big one. Would love to add a true WR1 but know that's difficult price wise. Think we need to add 2-3 quality guys here in FA or the draft. Bateman and Duvernay are the only locks. Wallace should be good for the back end of the depth chart.

TE: Only question here for me is do we re-sign Oliver. Highly dependent on the offensive philosophy.

OL: Big question here is G between Zeitler and Powers. Would love to keep both but if you can only get 1, I think you have replacement options in house. Would add some mid round depth on the interior if that's how it plays out.

DL: Assuming Campbell retires, that's the big loss here. Everyone else is pretty damn solid. Need to get a run stopper in minimum so the DL doesn't fall apart with Calais.

OLB: You have a solid trio to build on. If you can retain Houston for similar money as the last 2 years, keep that train rolling. Would look to draft another guy here too, but doesn't have to be a high pick.

S: Not too much to add here either. Clark is likely gone. Hamilton continues to play a ton and think there are no issues as long as Stone returns. Maybe add some depth but I'm not pressed here.

ST: Stout isn't in any danger but I would add a veteran for camp just to keep him honest.

All in all, most of the needs are depth and could be filled by cheap vets and/or mid round draft picks. CB, WR, and to a lesser extent DL are my biggest concerns sans Lamar.

For WR, I hope we go the FA route. We need someone who can come in and contribute now and have shown no real indication that we can develop WR at this point.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
As always, it depends on prospect availability and what we do in FA... but that 1st rounder to me would lean CB, WR, or DL as of right now.

all up in the air obviously and im only 23 preliminary prospect evals into the draft so far (and only at 2 positions) but I wouldnt eliminate EDGE just in terms of the depth at the top of the class

and obviously would definitely not rule out a trade down - feels like we're due a 1st round trade back after speculating about it the last few years only for EDC to just stand and pick - and especially with the lack of a 2nd round pick

and especially after 2 consecutive years of 2 1st round picks and big classes in 2020 and 2022

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

agree, just want to add that Michael Pierce will be here in 2023.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
This is the ideal scenario.

Go get DHop and draft another one with our 3rd.

DHop, Bateman, Duvernay, 3rd rounder, Tylan Wallace
DHop, Chark/Meyers, Bateman, 2nd rounder lol overhaul it completely no matter the cost

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dez was outspoken about our offensive scheme. Then, Hollywood successfully requested a trade. Now, Dobbins has blasted the coaching decision to refuse to feed him the rock in the RZ yet again. This is a huge (yet easy) decision for Harbs on how he sees this offense moving forward with Lamar's future at stake.

I think the team meeting is at 1pm today but I think there's media availability so I'm really curious to know what comes out of that meeting.

Don’t forget that Hurst requested a trade as well because of how he was being utilized