• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Is that he hates it here? Or given his injuries and all would he be unhappy anywhere?
I mean the injuries would make him unhappy anywhere, that's obvious. My point is that he doesn't tell the story like oh I went to a dark place because of the injuries and I'm just coming out like we've heard from so many others. We've straight up seen him say he's never been happy in Baltimore and be combative and short and stupid on Twitter. It's all the extra stuff I'm talking about

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not a ton of intrigue left in key spots.

Best guess before final cutdowns.

Offence (24):
QB (2): Lamar, Huntley
RB (3): JK, Justice, Gus
TE (4): Andrews, Likely, Kolar, Ricard
WR (6): Odell, Zay, Bate, Agholor, Duv, Wallace
OL (9): Ronnie, Simpson, Linderbaum, Zeitler, Moses, Mekari, Faalele, Sala, Cleveland

Notable Misses: Josh Johnson, Keaton Mitchell, Melvin Gordon, Travis Vokolek, Sam Mustipher

WR6 is basically sewn up
RB 4 may not matter and is more about other positions than anything - Mitchell vs Gordon vs neither really the only somewhat complicated offensive decision
LG is a wrap
OL 9 is still a competition i suppose but maybe more about them finding ways to not have to keep sam mustipher than anything else...
Ravens have a TE factory here - Vokolek misses out but probably between him and Mitchell, the only offensive guys that you even remotely care about and odds are they both make it to waivers.

Defence (26):
DL (4): Madubuike, Washington, Pierce, Jones, Urban*
EDGE (5): Oweh, Ojabo, Clowney, Bowser, Robinson
LB (5): Roquan, PQ, Malik, Simpson, Del'Shawn
DB (12): Marcus, Hamilton, Geno, Marlon, RYS, Darby, Stephens, Washington, JAD, Seymour, Worley, Pepe*

Notable Misses: Angelo Blackson, Kristian Welch, Arthur Maulet, Kyu Kelly

Urban and Pepe to swap places after Pepe makes the initial 53.
Maulet the most notable guy who misses out on the DB list but having not seen him, it's hard to put him on ahead of seymour or worley but either of those two could miss out in Maulet's place. Seymour and Worley figure to factor more on special teams right now with Maulet's health in question and Worley provides some cover to a surprisingly thin safety position with his conversion too.
Crazy that Kyu Kelly has flopped so hard that he's almost guaranteed to not be making the 53 before we even finish preseason...
LB 5 looks locked as del'shawn phillips - welch the only guy who might make the backend potentially but idk if they can keep 6

3 x Special Teamers...

Only potential wrinkle if they really like Keaton Mitchell is swapping him on for one of the bottom of the roster/special teams DBs (like Worley/Seymour/Maulet) and just assume they'll be making it onto the PS and can be gameday activated a few times before moving up to the full 53.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

Offence (24):
OL (9): Ronnie, Simpson, Linderbaum, Zeitler, Moses, Mekari, Faalele, Sala, Cleveland

Notable Misses: Josh Johnson, Keaton Mitchell, Melvin Gordon, Travis Vokolek, Sam Mustipher

WR6 is basically sewn up
RB 4 may not matter and is more about other positions than anything - Mitchell vs Gordon vs neither really the only somewhat complicated offensive decision
LG is a wrap
OL 9 is still a competition i suppose but maybe more about them finding ways to not have to keep sam mustipher than anything else...
Ravens have a TE factory here - Vokolek misses out but probably between him and Mitchell, the only offensive guys that you even remotely care about and odds are they both make it to waivers.

Defence (26):
DB (12): Marcus, Hamilton, Geno, Marlon, RYS, Darby, Stephens, Washington, JAD, Seymour, Worley, Pepe*

Maulet the most notable guy who misses out on the DB list but having not seen him, it's hard to put him on ahead of seymour or worley but either of those two could miss out in Maulet's place. Seymour and Worley figure to factor more on special teams right now with Maulet's health in question and Worley provides some cover to a surprisingly thin safety position with his conversion too.
Crazy that Kyu Kelly has flopped so hard that he's almost guaranteed to not be making the 53 before we even finish preseason...
LB 5 looks locked as del'shawn phillips - welch the only guy who might make the backend potentially but idk if they can keep 6

3 x Special Teamers...

Only potential wrinkle if they really like Keaton Mitchell is swapping him on for one of the bottom of the roster/special teams DBs (like Worley/Seymour/Maulet) and just assume they'll be making it onto the PS and can be gameday activated a few times before moving up to the full 53.
Really over this whole offseason, KBK was the big surprise. Darius Rush was available before and after him and has had picks this preseason. Regardless that's a stacked roster if Oweh shows up this year

Simba

Staff Member

Offence (24):

WR6 is basically sewn up
LG is a wrap

Defence (26):

3 x Special Teamers...

I feel like the last 3 or so guys I’d have on are your first 3 off, and vice versa.

As you said, not a lot of intrigue here. And assuming no surprises, not a single guy I’d be losing any sleep over if he was claimed. Feels like the depth we usually have is lacking more this year.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I feel like the last 3 or so guys I’d have on are your first 3 off, and vice versa.

As you said, not a lot of intrigue here. And assuming no surprises, not a single guy I’d be losing any sleep over if he was claimed. Feels like the depth we usually have is lacking more this year.
Do you think the Cleveland RT cross training was a way to slot Faalele into LT if need be and still have RT covered? That way Mekari goes back to C and they don't have to keep Mustipher?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Accounting for position i think there's only 3 spots on this roster available...

Players competing for those 3 spots:

Josh Johnson
Melvin Gordon
Keaton Mitchell
Travis Vokolek
OL 10 (ben cleveland, sam mustipher or david sharpe - whoever loses the battle for OL 9 + Sharpe)
Angelo Blackson
Kristian Welch
Daryl Worley
Kevon Seymour
Arthur Maulet

in many ways it's a really easy roster cutdown because there's very little at stake
in some ways though that's a lot of players fighting for 3 spots

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Offence (24):

WR6 is basically sewn up
LG is a wrap

Defence (26):

3 x Special Teamers...

think we could have a handshake deal with players ie urban so we can sneak a mitchell onto the 53

rossihunter2

Staff Member

just said above
but 3 is the magic number for me

when i look at the locks and near locks and you account for position - 3 spots looks like all that's up in the air

Simba

Staff Member
Do you think the Cleveland RT cross training was a way to slot Faalele into LT if need be and still have RT covered? That way Mekari goes back to C and they don't have to keep Mustipher?
I don't know if it's directly related exactly, but probably part of it. Think there also might be a world where they think Cleveland gets claimed (as he probably should) and Mustipher can go to the PS if we wanted to. Would be shocked if he's a hot commodity.

Simba

Staff Member
think we could have a handshake deal with players ie urban so we can sneak a mitchell onto the 53
May not an Urban type, but let's say you want to keep Mitchell... you have guys like Seymour and Worley who you've built some trust with that you can probably tell them you'll put them on the PS and use up the elevations and make a 53 man move later.

Simba

Staff Member
would be surprised if we cant find a C better than mustipher on waivers tbh lol
Yeah there's some level of risk to needing a new C at some point, but not enough to where I wouldn't rather have someone with more upside at this point. We can dog Cleveland all we want but he's generally been decent when on the field. Whatever is happening in practice is another story but I'd rather take my chances there.

Simba

Staff Member
I think the hard thing with Keaton Mitchell is that as much as I believe they'd like to keep him, the reality is that he's RB4 who isn't going to be seeing the field unless injuries hit. There are too many other positions (specifically the DB room) where the injuries have hit and you need the guys to cover.

But the added roster flexibility certainly helps his case if they don't want to lose him. I will say that he reminds me a lot of Taquan Mizzell, who looked really good and everybody said we should keep. We cut him and did end up losing him, but he never got any traction, switched positions, still got no traction, and filtered out of the league just a couple of years later. A lot of these guys aren't as good as we hype them up to be.

Simba

Staff Member
The other big question I'd have is surrounding Bowser right now. Harbaugh expected week 1 and that's getting tighter. But I just can't imagine a world where they want to keep him on NFI, shelve him from even practicing for 4 weeks, and then add on the ramp up period. Think they'd rather have him miss a couple of games while ramping up on the practice field. But who knows where his knee is actually at.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
The other big question I'd have is surrounding Bowser right now. Harbaugh expected week 1 and that's getting tighter. But I just can't imagine a world where they want to keep him on NFI, shelve him from even practicing for 4 weeks, and then add on the ramp up period. Think they'd rather have him miss a couple of games while ramping up on the practice field. But who knows where his knee is actually at.
I know! I said this yesterday. This is the biggest question left of the offseason. What's going on there?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think the hard thing with Keaton Mitchell is that as much as I believe they'd like to keep him, the reality is that he's RB4 who isn't going to be seeing the field unless injuries hit. There are too many other positions (specifically the DB room) where the injuries have hit and you need the guys to cover.

But the added roster flexibility certainly helps his case if they don't want to lose him. I will say that he reminds me a lot of Taquan Mizzell, who looked really good and everybody said we should keep. We cut him and did end up losing him, but he never got any traction, switched positions, still got no traction, and filtered out of the league just a couple of years later. A lot of these guys aren't as good as we hype them up to be.

he's 100% that kind of guy
but the difference is he looks like someone who's an actual option on returns if needed

idk what he's doing on coverage units but that could help him make the backend of a 53

as of right now though im pretty sure he's not on the 53