• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
+13 rushing TDs. He had 35 Tds in 16 games. Compare to the top guys
Burrow: 40 Tds/18 games
Mahomes: 44 Tds/18 games
Allen: 42/ 18 games
Herbert: 25/18 games
Cousins: 31/ 18 games

I mean he is right there with some of the top performers and guys with serious weapons. I think some fans just like to hate Hurts because he is so often compared to Lamar. Which doesn't compute in their mind because of weapons argument. Somehow another QB having better skill players than Lamar makes that QB lesser than Lamar. Its a dumb argument that we keep hearing when people compare him and Burrow as well. All three guys are really good, and even better with legit weapons. Don't think that's ground breaking stuff, people need to learn to enjoy a qaulity product when they see it.
People were calling lamar better than mahommes and arod. You have all the right to compare lamar to hurts

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Was watching kc game and im starting to think eric doesnt call the plays lol.. i dnt remember when but i know it was a crucial
Moment when i say andy reid drawing up a play while eric was somewhere else doing idk what.. is that usually how it goes in those situations? more experienced play caller taking control during crucial moments?

Reactions: cdp

Tank

Hall of Famer
Was watching kc game and im starting to think eric doesnt call the plays lol.. i dnt remember when but i know it was a crucial
Moment when i say andy reid drawing up a play while eric was somewhere else doing idk what.. is that usually how it goes in those situations? more experienced play caller taking control during crucial moments?
I think Reid has always called the plays, Eric sends them in.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Naw not this season.. im sure wr will be our priority i think

With what money lol. This shit offense should’ve been built like the Bengals offense was or at the very least like the Chiefs was in Mahomes rookie contract

JAAM

Hall of Famer
So if EB doesn’t call the plays, what DOES he do? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: cdp

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
correct, Eric Bieniemy doesn't call the plays, thus why he wants to go somewhere where he can call the plays, thus giving him a better chance at becoming a head coach somewhere. He's been stuck behind the shadow of Andy Reid.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Now where does that put us cap space wise with Lamar?
Would be just a hair under $28M in cap space today. RSR has been operating on a $225M estimate, so they pretty much nailed it.
Exclusive franchise tag should be right around ~$45M, so if we go that route, we would need to clear $17M just to fit Lamar in. Realistically, we'd need to clear $25-30M or more to be able to do literally anything in free agency.

Getting to that number going to be a challenge.
Obvious cuts/trades:
Chuck Clark - $3.6M
Gus Edwards - $4.4M
Devin Duvernay - $4.3M

Think those three guys are pretty much sure to be goners

Possible cuts/extension candidates:
Campbell - $7M in cap savings if he retires/cut
Zeitler - $6.5M in cap savings if he's cut
Pierce - $2.1M in cap savings if he's cut

Contract restructure guys (almost certainly 1-2 of this group is happening)
Stanley - could free up ~$7M if they convert most of his salary to a roster/signing bonus. Downside is he'll have $30M cap hits in 2024/2025, though he'll be extension candidate around that time also.
Marlon - could free up ~ $6-7M if they convert most of his salary to a roster/signing bonus. This one is probably a no-brainer.
Andrews - could free up ~$4M if they convert most of his salary to a roster/signing bonus. This one would probably happen also.

My back of the napkin "takes":
Restructure Marlon + Andrews for ~$10M in cap space
Cut/trade Clark, Edwards, Duvernay. In total would free up ~$12M.

Those moves would allow you to exclusively franchise Lamar and then have ~$5M in cap space left, which is practically nothing. Would at least get you to the opening of FA.

At that point, I'm taking very long looks at Campbell and Zeitler. I don't think either is back at their current numbers. Campbell at $7M in cap savings may just have to be a cut/retirement and move on scenario. Zeitler you can probably get to sign a 1-2 year extension, that can probably save you $3-4M against the current year cap.

So with Chargers, Jets and Patriots filling their OC spots, how many spots are remaining open?

Of those I would assume we have the most enticing pieces in place on Offense?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Maybe I’m just trying to read between lines that don’t exist but it kinda sounds like he’s saying EB “literally” sends the play call to Mahomes but Reid makes the call and Reid will listen to any input from EB. Am I the only one taking it this way?
very possible. I also have heard he's heavily involved in putting the game plan together.