• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 Forum Mock: Discussion Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’m not asking about cutting a guy though. I’m asking total contract value for the purpose of the game.

Also, I understand the basic gist but this is the first time I’ve ever even seen OTC at this level
it's the 3rd column from the right. The one that says Cap Number

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
@Truth … I know you’d love nothing more than to fuck me over this year for how last year went… and I totally get it. But bring it in man, Ravens brothers unite…. Two mock franchise owners doing their thing!!!

You're good, man. Been a bit of a madhouse so I'm just getting started with things now. Only just getting to the spreadsheets. Honestly, of the things involving us, I'm more disappointed about drafting Dohnovan West, current XFL player, over Malcolm Rodriguez lol Good pick on the latter. Looking forward to this year!

Simba

Staff Member
As we get into picking teams, I did want to call out that cap tables have gotten wonky with the addition of void years. For a bunch of teams, there may be a cap charge listed for a player that will be a free agent. Make sure you do research as to who is actually on your team and don't use the cap table to tell you. Might not be perfect, but honestly, Wikipedia rosters are a solid resource to see who is on the roster and who isn't at this stage.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
As we get into picking teams, I did want to call out that cap tables have gotten wonky with the addition of void years. For a bunch of teams, there may be a cap charge listed for a player that will be a free agent. Make sure you do research as to who is actually on your team and don't use the cap table to tell you. Might not be perfect, but honestly, Wikipedia rosters are a solid resource to see who is on the roster and who isn't at this stage.

How about roster lists from team websites?

Simba

Staff Member
How about roster lists from team websites?
Think it depends if it's updated. For instance, I just went to the Ravens roster on their site and they still have the IR and PS delineations and no mention of FAs yet. So proceed with caution.

Simba

Staff Member
Hey everyone - as previously alluded to, we are doing a complete revamp of FA this year and wanted to post this snippet (which will be updated in the rules thread). Please read through and throw any questions here. Happy to help answer any concerns, but we're hoping this better mimics real life and gets rid of some of the drama from sniping, final five, and all of that jazz that hasn't exactly been great over the last few years.

Free Agency:

Free Agency will be completely revamped this year in an effort to better simulate real-life FA conditions. The goal of this revamped process is to encourage maximum bids early, while still enabling you to fill a hole at a position if the bidding on a premier player rises above what you're willing to pay.

Round 1: Bids 12 stars and above, must hold the high bid for 24 hours to win the player
Round 2: Bids 7 stars and above, must hold the high bid for 12 hours to win the player
Round 3: Bids 3 stars and above, must hold the high bid for 12 hours to win the player
Round 4: Bids 1 star and above, must hold the high bid for 8 hours to win the player

All free agent periods will open at 7pm EST.

In the new revamped free agency process, players will no longer be grouped by position. All players on the move tracker/free agent list document are eligible for bidding. There will be no set end time on the FA period. You simply have to hold the high bid for the allotted time mentioned above and you will win the player. Snipe bids, final five, etc. have all been removed from previous years.

Once the next round begins, no new bids will be allowed in the previous round's thread. The previous round's thread will remain open only to conclude victory if there are still outstanding bids. Bids do not have to stay in the 7-12 star range for round 2, but must at least be a minimum of 7 to start. If a bidding war ensues and you wish to bid above 12 stars to sign a player, that is fine. The same rule applies to all successive rounds.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
OTC also often takes a long time to update signings
any signings after roster lock won't matter, unless the signing / trade / cut was in the game.

Yes, they tend to be late on the signings, but many times spotrac just puts them at the bottom of the list without the actual contract numbers. There are advantages to both sites though.

Simba

Staff Member
Felt painful taking the Bengals but for the sake of this game, not sure there's a more talented bunch with cap space and all of their picks.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
Felt painful taking the Bengals but for the sake of this game, not sure there's a more talented bunch with cap space and all of their picks.
Yeah I looked at them too, I'm just looking at cap space on OTC

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Good pick, @Simba. I was waiving between the Lions and Bengals, with another team I won't mention a close 3rd.

BTW, Please do not mention any teams that have been not been taken. This goes the same for the draft.