• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @Steelers

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think we need to make a move for a PR/KR. I don't hate Tim White but he looked so hesitant returning punts and I think we just need a playmaker back there. I just don't know how we're going to get one at this stage.

Give him some more time. We gave Grant two games so it's only fair to see how he does against the Steelers. Also, he did have a nice 37 yd KO return which people seem to be ignoring.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Being a first round draft pick , I think the Ravens are going to be very cautious about bringing Hurst back too soon. The average time off the field with a stress fracture is roughly eight to nine weeks.
I think the Ravens will be smart and Hurst wont see the field until after the bye week, which I think is week 11.
Mark can hold the fort down until than.

Harbaugh said that rookie TE Hayden Hurst is a possibility to return for practice this week. Less optimistic on DT Willie Henry returning to practice this week. Harbaugh said that Mosley and Pierce were close to playing Sunday, so they have a good chance to return this Sunday.

Mark Andrews is more than cutting it at this point. I'd wait a few weeks before getting hayden into games. Stress fractures are IMMEDIATLY tested and if that inner bone isn't completely healed it can fracture again. It'll be 6 + weeks on sunday. There is NO HARM in taking this to week 8-9 and see that the bone is fully healed.

I'm hoping that by the saints game we'll have everyone but obviously dixon and canady back.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
his initial injury happened August 24th - that's already 4 and a half weeks ago - the initial timetable was for him to be back in 3-4 weeks but either hes recovering slowly or we're being cautious

but even with your timetable of 8-9 weeks he'd be back by week 7 - and if we really thought he wouldnt be back until week 11 (or even after week 8) we'd have put him on I/R so that he could return later in the year

id assume according to the timetable that Hurst would start practicing sometime in the next 2-3 weeks
You can’t put a player on IR prior to the waiver deadline and bring him back. Only players that are put on waivers after Sept 2nd could have been pur in waivers to bring back later in the year.
I don’t think the narrative matters with this team. Steelers could be 0-15 and they’ll still play us tough. I couldn’t care less whether they win big, lose big, win or lose close or even tie against TB because I don’t think it matters one iota. If anything hope for more locker room division because that may help us but tonight’s game has little or no impact on our game outside maybe injuries.
I would agree with this and quite frankly I believe all divisional games are tough regardless due to familiarity, but our rivalry makes it even a tougher game, regardless of record.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Mark Andrews is more than cutting it at this point. I'd wait a few weeks before getting hayden into games. Stress fractures are IMMEDIATLY tested and if that inner bone isn't completely healed it can fracture again. It'll be 6 + weeks on sunday. There is NO HARM in taking this to week 8-9 and see that the bone is fully healed.

I'm hoping that by the saints game we'll have everyone but obviously dixon and canady back.

they havent said he is ready but if he's ready there's no point in stopping him from practicing if he's healed - if the orthopaedics say he's good to go then let him at least practice - he doesnt have to play this week but if he can practice then why not?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You can’t put a player on IR prior to the waiver deadline and bring him back. Only players that are put on waivers after Sept 2nd could have been pur in waivers to bring back later in the year.

that's my point - we could have i/red him on the first day after he made the roster like we've done with a number of players over the years if we thought he was gonna be out for around 8 weeks of the season or more...

redrum52

Hall of Famer
If there was a season to sweep them it's this one. Then again who would've thought we'd get 2 wins against them in 15. That defense is dumpster juice.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
that's my point - we could have i/red him on the first day after he made the roster like we've done with a number of players over the years if we thought he was gonna be out for around 8 weeks of the season or more...
I typed this up in the morning, then realized what you were saying and didn’t send it. I thought it was deleted but it ended up being sent on my last post accidentally

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If there was a season to sweep them it's this one. Then again who would've thought we'd get 2 wins against them in 15. That defense is dumpster juice.
With all the significant injuries that year we ended up picking up players from the local high schools

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I think we need to make a move for a PR/KR. I don't hate Tim White but he looked so hesitant returning punts and I think we just need a playmaker back there. I just don't know how we're going to get one at this stage.
We should have never replaced Grant with White
No added value and Grant looked like really capable returner. Wonder why we can have 4-5 years of patience with some guys but none with some others.

ALI624

Pro Bowler
We released CB Robinson Daniel and signed C Hroniss Grasu.

Give him some more time. We gave Grant two games so it's only fair to see how he does against the Steelers. Also, he did have a nice 37 yd KO return which people seem to be ignoring.
This was the case during the Pre-season which led to him getting cut. I feel like he's just not a natural PR and hasn't really changed much in that aspect.

We should have never replaced Grant with White
No added value and Grant looked like really capable returner. Wonder why we can have 4-5 years of patience with some guys but none with some others.
Grant looks capable but the fumbles were a really bad sign. You can't fumble returns, they're the worst of the turnover bunch because of the field position it gives opposing teams. ST is really underappreciated because one bad snap or move can put you in a really bad position. It's why I'm just not big on White because someone that hesistent can put us in a bad position.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Grant looks capable but the fumbles were a really bad sign. You can't fumble returns, they're the worst of the turnover bunch because of the field position it gives opposing teams. ST is really underappreciated because one bad snap or move can put you in a really bad position. It's why I'm just not big on White because someone that hesistent can put us in a bad position.
Yeah but those fumbles are likely to disappear with experience. He had one straight non-catch on a wet weather but all the other fumbles were because he kept trying too hard.

Yeah but those fumbles are likely to disappear with experience. He had one straight non-catch on a wet weather but all the other fumbles were because he kept trying too hard.
Yeah but the leash is short on fumbles. KR return fumbles are really the worst of all fumbles, you just can't gamble on a guy like Grant because he's prone to make a big mistake in a big game.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
This is the game to unleash Orlando Brown and revert Hurst back to where he should be at LG. The line looked much improved yesterday and we played a damn good defense in Denver(yes, they're not the elite unit of 2015 anymore. But that defense is still very talented across the board even if you take Von Miller out of the equation). The Steelers have an impressive front 3 and TJ Watt is a solid player too, but holy crap the rest of that front 7 is atrocious. Tuitt and Heyward are both very good and I get that. There's a good chance that Orlando Brown Jr. would have to go up against Bud Dupree a decent amount of the time. Dupree is not that good of a player.

In fact the Steelers defense as a whole looks horrible. Their corners suck, the secondary outside of one player is absolutely terrible and that linebacking corps is among the worst in the league without Shazier.

I actually think our defense even without Jimmy is kind of tailor made for this Steelers team. Yes, Tavon Young had his worst game ever vs. The Bengals, he's been very good otherwise and we refused to adjust to AJ Green in the slot(who's unstoppable anyways).

Honestly. I thought the Steelers were overrated from the get go. It won't matter, they always play us very tough. But I just think we're a better team.
Think about the first part of your second sentence especially when it pertains to Hurst. Do you honestly think Harbs is going to start Brown in light of the offensive line playing well in pass protection? While it's understandable that we need Brown, but it'll become predictable if Brown only comes on running downs and Hurst on passing downs.

As for this defense being kind of tailor made against PIT, we actually need a pass-rush against this o-line. Last time this defense was on the road, not ONE sack against a suspect Bengals o-line. And I supposed to believe that this pass-rush will hit home against the Steelers o-line? Nah. In the 2016 and 2017 seasons, our defense got shredded against Big Ben since Jimmy was out in both games. I expect more of the same ESPECIALLY if I see Carr on the field. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES OTHER FROM INJURIES should Carr be covering either AB or Juju. It can NOT happen.

The team whose secondary gets abused less will win next week. It's shaping up to be quite something different than normal Steelers-Ravens game.
Look no further than the scoreboard of last year's game in PIT.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
@Dom McRaven

Carr will have to play, unless you want to start Averett or Darious Williams over him. And Averett may not play, depending on his health.

Think about the first part of your second sentence especially when it pertains to Hurst. Do you honestly think Harbs is going to start Brown in light of the offensive line playing well in pass protection? While it's understandable that we need Brown, but it'll become predictable if Brown only comes on running downs and Hurst on passing downs.

As for this defense being kind of tailor made against PIT, we actually need a pass-rush against this o-line. Last time this defense was on the road, not ONE sack against a suspect Bengals o-line. And I supposed to believe that this pass-rush will hit home against the Steelers o-line? Nah. In the 2016 and 2017 seasons, our defense got shredded against Big Ben since Jimmy was out in both games. I expect more of the same ESPECIALLY if I see Carr on the field. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES OTHER FROM INJURIES should Carr be covering either AB or Juju. It can NOT happen.

Look no further than the scoreboard of last year's game in PIT.
I agree, maybe the staff was right in Hurst starting at RT. He's far from the problem as most of our run issues has come from the left side. It's also where most of the pressure, sacks, and low level play has came from. Stanley stepped up but Alex Lewis is still really bad. I think the biggest problem we have right now is Alex Lewis.