• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @Steelers

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree, maybe the staff was right in Hurst starting at RT. He's far from the problem as most of our run issues has come from the left side. It's also where most of the pressure, sacks, and low level play has came from. Stanley stepped up but Alex Lewis is still really bad. I think the biggest problem we have right now is Alex Lewis.

I have not looked at the tape so I am purely basing this off other people, having said that PFF has said Hurst was awful in the run game and gave him a 48 grade despite that just because of how well he played in the passing game but they viewed his run blocking as a core part of the struggles in the first half (they gave Stanley an over 79). Again I have not broken it down myself but I figured its worth throwing that in there.

edit: had to bump up Stanleys grade by 5 and Hurst by 1.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I have not looked at the tape so I am purely basing this off other people, having said that PFF has said Hurst was awful in the run game and gave him a 48 grade despite that just because of how well he played in the passing game but they viewed his run blocking as a core part of the struggles in the first half (they gave Stanley an over 79). Again I have not broken it down myself but I figured its worth throwing that in there.

edit: had to bump up Stanleys grade by 5 and Hurst by 1.

stanley actually had a pretty nice game apart from 1 sack but that was mostly on a pressure from elsewhere forcing joe to step up in the pocket and creating a lane for Chubb to get to Joe

https://twitter.com/abukari/status/1044350750439206913

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I agree, maybe the staff was right in Hurst starting at RT. He's far from the problem as most of our run issues has come from the left side. It's also where most of the pressure, sacks, and low level play has came from. Stanley stepped up but Alex Lewis is still really bad. I think the biggest problem we have right now is Alex Lewis.
At RT Hurst played well in pass protection but, from what I could see, sucked while run blocking at least as bad as Lewis on the other side.

FWIW, as far as our run game goes, I think we have to look at some teams numbers through the first three games and take that into consideration. Bills and Broncos both have a top 5 run D and with the way the weather conditions were in the 2 games we played, I think they were expecting us to go run heavy. I think Harbaugh pointed it out that the Broncos stacked the box more often then not this game and usually in the past when we have issues running the ball the team would make a huge deal out of it. Harbaugh and Joe would be very vocal about us not running the Football but right now it seems like they think that once the line improves, and the passing game opens things up, that we'll be able to run the ball.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean when 1/3 of your games is against the Ravens and they fail to run to the ball your run D is going to look great in the rankings.

At RT Hurst played well in pass protection but, from what I could see, sucked while run blocking at least as bad as Lewis on the other side.
Yeah, now that I think about it he has not been good in run blocking but Lewis has been poor in the run and the pass. I just think that he's not the problem on the line that Lewis is ATM. Hopefully we do get Brown in though because Hurst would be a pretty good upgrade at LG.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
That's going to be a difficult scenario to avoid. Carr did play a good game against the Bengals where he had to line up against AJ Green and Tyler Boyd.
I understand, but I just can't let go of how badly he got torched against AB and Co. Now granted, AB is the best in the game, but still.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
i cannot see carr not being a liability vs the steelers. i worry about our Range vs them. We're not athletic or rangy enough . That can only be negated by an insane pass rush and I stil dont trust our guys in that department..too hot n cold

carr has no good matchup. He's too slow for all 3 of the WR's.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i cannot see carr not being a liability vs the steelers. i worry about our Range vs them. We're not athletic or rangy enough . That can only be negated by an insane pass rush and I stil dont trust our guys in that department..too hot n cold

carr has no good matchup. He's too slow for all 3 of the WR's.

positive though is that we have a better defence all over than any team the steelers have played so far (maybe the browns are similar)
and the steelers defence hasnt been able to stop anyone so far (only reason the bucs have only scored 10 points is because they've literally had fitzmagic passing uncontested gimmes straight to them)

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
positive though is that we have a better defence all over than any team the steelers have played so far (maybe the browns are similar)
and the steelers defence hasnt been able to stop anyone so far (only reason the bucs have only scored 10 points is because they've literally had fitzmagic passing uncontested gimmes straight to them)

i dunno. Until we show some consistency i wouldnt be shocked if we lay an egg.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i dunno. Until we show some consistency i wouldnt be shocked if we lay an egg.

we may do that's a given in this rivalry but they have nothing on defence except cameron heyward and stephon tuitt and a stacked offence but if their defence cant stop us then we only need to stop the big plays to frustrate them...

in theory of course but in theory we do matchup extremely well against them

I understand, but I just can't let go of how badly he got torched against AB and Co. Now granted, AB is the best in the game, but still.
It was a while ago but AB one on one is unstoppable and that's where we left Carr at in some situations. Hard not to commit help with only Marlon on the other side. If I can recall though AB did split double teams on a consistent basis. He was just really dominant that day and even if you shadowed him with Humphrey there's no real guarantee that he wouldn't have beaten him.

But I won't make an excuse for the defense that day because they were awful and cost us big that day.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Sad part is on that pick 6 bud Dupree got fucking torched by the TE, and then fitz first throws it to the wrong guy and second overthrows him by a mile so Dupree magically found himself right there for a pick. Fucking wrong place right time

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sad part is on that pick 6 bud Dupree got fucking torched by the TE, and then fitz first throws it to the wrong guy and second overthrows him by a mile so Dupree magically found himself right there for a pick. Fucking wrong place right time
It looked to me like Fitz’s arm kinda got hit when he threw it and that’s why it was so bad. Was hard to tell.

The Bucs really should’ve won that game but the Steelers were saved by stupid untimely turnovers smh I’m pissed