• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next up @Cleveland

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Didn't the Ravens keep 4 active TEs last year with Mayle? Granted, he was a special teams guy, but I think it's still possible they keep all 4 active once Hurst is ready to come back.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Didn't the Ravens keep 4 active TEs last year with Mayle? Granted, he was a special teams guy, but I think it's still possible they keep all 4 active once Hurst is ready to come back.

True. Maxx is probably the strongest argument to be inactive, but he does seem to have snagged most of the FB duties from Ricard.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Anyone else have a bad feeling Boyle takes the active spot over maxx?
Ive been saying this, I can see the coaching staff justifying not having to dress 4 TEs, and Boyle has been outsnapping Maxx by a good margin. If one sits, it’s maxx. But they might just dress all 4.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
True. Maxx is probably the strongest argument to be inactive, but he does seem to have snagged most of the FB duties from Ricard.

they are used in different situations but both have their uses - i dont see why we wouldnt activate all 4 - much like our wide receivers our tight ends have a really nice complementary skillset - even in their blocking - boyle is a good traditional blocking tight end while maxx is great almost as a lighter guard pulling across the line but can also act as a lead blocker but also runs traditional tight end routes

the amount of heavy tight end sets where we rely on the tight ends to make difficult blocks i cant see us not activating both maxx and boyle

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i think all 4 TEs are active:

my best guess at the inactives list looks like this:

1. RGIII
  2. Anthony Averett
  3. Jordan Lasley
  4. Hronnis Grassu
  5. Zach Sieler
  6. Darious Williams
  7. Willie Henry (if he's not recovered enough) or Tyus Bowser (has been performing poorly on the EDGE and on special teams recently)
Totally possible but I don’t think any of our TEs play teams so that might be another factor. I just don’t like Boyle and I can’t figure out why he is like the clear cut favorite of Harbaugh

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’ll take maxx over Boyle. Better receiver, better runner after the catch, can be moved around a lot of ways while Boyle just stays inline, I get that Boyle is a good blocker but is his inline blocking really more valuable than what maxx brings?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Totally possible but I don’t think any of our TEs play teams so that might be another factor. I just don’t like Boyle and I can’t figure out why he is like the clear cut favorite of Harbaugh

Boyle is the better traditional inline blocker that's why - as much as maxx gives us extra sauce with different types of blocking as a serious strength (and arguably his versatility is also a strength) he is not as good as boyle as inline guy - boyle is a guy we seriously trust 1v1 sometimes on the outside which we could never do with maxx

that's 100% why - boyle is by far the worst receiver of our 4 tight ends and is the least versatile as a receiver but he's also the only true inline blocker - now if hayden hurst comes on quick i think you'll see andrews and maxx's snaps stay fairly similar but hayden will take mostly boyle's snaps

that's how i see it anyway

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
i think all 4 TEs are active:

my best guess at the inactives list looks like this:

1. RGIII
  2. Anthony Averett
  3. Jordan Lasley
  4. Hronnis Grassu
  5. Zach Sieler
  6. Darious Williams
  7. Willie Henry (if he's not recovered enough) or Tyus Bowser (has been performing poorly on the EDGE and on special teams recently)
I'm a little disappointed in Bowser tbh, but there's still time to get it together. Most of the time, I'm wondering if he's on the field or not.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Boyle is the better traditional inline blocker that's why - as much as maxx gives us extra sauce with different types of blocking as a serious strength (and arguably his versatility is also a strength) he is not as good as boyle as inline guy - boyle is a guy we seriously trust 1v1 sometimes on the outside which we could never do with maxx

that's 100% why - boyle is by far the worst receiver of our 4 tight ends and is the least versatile as a receiver but he's also the only true inline blocker - now if hayden hurst comes on quick i think you'll see andrews and maxx's snaps stay fairly similar but hayden will take mostly boyle's snaps

that's how i see it anyway
As a blocker I actually see hurst as more a move guy as well, he played a lot of h back in college and did really well on moving blocks out of the backfield, what he did best as a blocker though was lead blocking screens, and he did that inline and out of the backfield.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
As a blocker I actually see hurst as more a move guy as well, he played a lot of h back in college and did really well on moving blocks out of the backfield, what he did best as a blocker though was lead blocking screens, and he did that inline and out of the backfield.

that's my point - he's not gonna take boyle's job completely as a blocker but when we want option value from an inline TE (i.e. a threat to run traditional TE routes/go up the seam and be a big play threat) or as a blocker in the run game especially sealing for an outside run then Hurst offers more value simply by being on the field

im in favour of having all 4 TEs active tbh - everyone of them has their niche and their role and much like the wr corps - their styles are various and complementary which will only help the offence to be even more diverse and difficult to defend

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Obviously this game shouldn't be easy.
Usually we win this game.
Reasonably we should win.

Sometimes the unusual happens.
Easy victory is certainly possible.
Any given Sunday and all that jazz.
So this game could honestly go either way.
Or we could lose badly.
Now let's get serious.

In actuality this game should be close.
So I don't predict a cake walk.

Otherwise I'd put money on it.
Vegas odds would be high right?
Enough with the semantics.
Ravens win.. That's my prediction....

I have too much time on my hands....

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Obviously this game shouldn't be easy.
Usually we win this game.
Reasonably we should win.

Sometimes the unusual happens.
Easy victory is certainly possible.
Any given Sunday and all that jazz.
Or we could lose badly.
So this game could honestly go either way.
Now let's get serious.

In actuality this game should be close.
So I don't predict a cake walk.

Otherwise I'd put money on it.
Vegas odds would be high right?
Enough with the semantics.
Ravens win.. That's my prediction....

I have too much time on my hands....

this will piss you off but this actually spells

OUR SEAOSN IS OVER

be better...

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
this will piss you off but this actually spells

OUR SEAOSN IS OVER

be better...
For real, thank you.
Usually I am better than this shit.
Cerebral speaking I've been off. Fucking midterms
Kraft family I am not, I can't get away with errors and cheating.

Yet I think it's better this way.
Our seaosn is over.... Is now the new "smallow and reat"
Unusually I am in the pit of misery.....

rossihunter2

Staff Member
For real, thank you.
Usually I am better than this shit.
Cerebral speaking I've been off. Fucking midterms
Kraft family I am not, I can't get away with errors and cheating.

Yet I think it's better this way.
Our seaosn is over.... Is now the new "smallow and reat"
Unusually I am in the pit of misery.....

FYI this one is also spelled wrong

this one says FUCK YOU...
im sure that's not what you meant