• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defense, the Offense, and the Crabtree....

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Again, I’m not saying that’s the only play that cost us, I said that the Crabtree drop holds the most weight BECAUSE the end result of a catch there would have been final, nothing in OT happens, there is almost zero chance of altering the course of the game afterwards.

Again I’m not saying it’s the “penultimate mistake”, just that if you single out every play, and put it into context, that was the most damning one and hardest to forgive, because it wins the game right then and there for us despite all the shit play prior and afterwards.
This is total result based analysis and something that is incredibly dangerous.

This play does not hold more weight than the Flacco interception ON THE TWO YARD line, the Chris Moore block in the back, the Buck Allen fumble etc. Again, the Ravens aren't going to sit here and pinpoint this as the back breaker.

Shoot, the Buck Allen fumble was followed up by a Browns field goal. At least with Crabtree the Browns didn't turn around and score points. Does that somehow now magically make Buck Allen's fumble even worse? Honestly, I think most people would tell you a turnover that results in points for the opponents are worse than a dropped pass, but I think you get the point.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This is total result based analysis and something that is incredibly dangerous.

This play does not hold more weight than the Flacco interception ON THE TWO YARD line, the Chris Moore block in the back, the Buck Allen fumble etc. Again, the Ravens aren't going to sit here and pinpoint this as the back breaker.

Shoot, the Buck Allen fumble was followed up by a Browns field goal. At least with Crabtree the Browns didn't turn around and score points. Does that somehow now magically make Buck Allen's fumble even worse? Honestly, I think most people would tell you a turnover that results in points for the opponents are worse than a dropped pass, but I think you get the point.
I get the point, but in a way the Crabtree drop led to points and not only that but the loss, again, it doesn’t go to OT if he catches that because we win. to say the entire course of the game stays the same if buck Allen didn’t fumble or joe didn’t throw a pick is conjecture.

This isn’t about me playing coach here and saying what we need to fix as a team lol, a game where we didn’t score a TD and couldn’t top 9 points is pathetic and shit needs to change, this isn’t why I’m saying this. I’m saying this as a fan who understands fully that 4 quarters of total offensive ineptitude is unacceptable but also that a catch there at the end is a win and we’re sitting 4-1 and 2-1 on our division road games and sitting pretty record wise with some execution issues that gotta be fixed. Do things need to change? Yes, was Crabtree’s play the one thing that can almost guarantee we win if he executes? Also yes, can you guarantee that with the rest of the offenses game? Not really.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I get the point, but in a way the Crabtree drop led to points and not only that but the loss, again, it doesn’t go to OT if he catches that because we win. to say the entire course of the game stays the same if buck Allen didn’t fumble or joe didn’t throw a pick is conjecture.

This isn’t about me playing coach here and saying what we need to fix as a team lol, a game where we didn’t score a TD and couldn’t top 9 points is pathetic and shit needs to change, this isn’t why I’m saying this. I’m saying this as a fan who understands fully that 4 quarters of total offensive ineptitude is unacceptable but also that a catch there at the end is a win and we’re sitting 4-1 and 2-1 on our division road games and sitting pretty record wise with some execution issues that gotta be fixed. Do things need to change? Yes, was Crabtree’s play the one thing that can almost guarantee we win if he executes? Also yes, can you guarantee that with the rest of the offenses game? Not really.
My point still is this: Why were the Ravens even in that position to where a single drop mattered? The Browns scored NINE points. The Ravens were coming off of THIRTEEN straight games of at least 20 points. At what point does it make sense that the Ravens had to come down to a single play to win the game?

For me, if this were like a 40-46 shootout type of game, yeah, I'd be more pissed, but the Ravens squandered great field position too many times and shot themselves in the foot with two turnovers, one in field goal range.

ALI624

Pro Bowler
Here’s the reasons we lost:
1. Crabtree’s drops
2. Marty’s bad game plan
3. Flacco’s interception and not reading the field
4. The blocked field goal

That’s pretty much it put it in whatever order you wish.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He's 26 4th qtr comebacks in his (10?) Year career it said on Sunday. Id hazard a guess they're quite evenly spread out so I'll go last season.
Don’t think so, although it’s possible. The one that comes to mind is the kick 6, but I’m sure he has had one since and of course that would have been ST

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Crab has really been letting me down! I just knew that he'd be a cat that would help this Ravens WR'ing core be sweet this season. His few drops have seem to be costly so far.

You think Crabtree would just be super okay with his dropped passes, especially when he dropped a potential game winner?

Obviously he played a part, but so did Joe and a handful of others.

Also, gamepass goes up tomorrow and I will watch the drops tomorrow. I know the first was 100% short on third down. Not sure about the second.
I'm not putting this loss solely on Crabtree, just pointing out that even he knows that he was a factor in this loss. I think we're on the same page here because im definitely not saying that this loss was purely on Crab, in fact, I think Joe and Marty take more responsiblity for this loss.

That said, Edger did upload a video on drive killing mistakes the team made and it confirmed that Crabtree did drop a 1st down conversion pass. The other was short of a 1st, but I think this drop was also a bad one because had he caught it, the team might have sent out Tucker for a FG instead of Koch for a punt. Now on that play I have to get on Joe, because he made a bigger mistake on not spotting Mark Andrews who was wide open for a seam route that would've gotten at least a good 15, maybe 20 yards. Big mistake on both sides but an even bigger one by Joe.

So with the 3rd down drop, and the TD drop, we can make the arguement that Crabtree left 10 points off the board.

Now my main issue with Crabtree is that this is a consistent problem through five games. This isn't something that I'm concerned about because of this game, this has been a trend for Crabtree that might only continue. Chris Moore has made plays downfield and so has Buck Allen, if Crabtree is going to drop passes and leave points on the board while not being a effective option in his catch % or his catches overall, then maybe it's time to look at other options.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
interesting formation on 1st and goal at the 8 yard line...all four TE with Buck out wide
Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 11.07.37 AM.png

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I'm not putting this loss solely on Crabtree, just pointing out that even he knows that he was a factor in this loss. I think we're on the same page here because im definitely not saying that this loss was purely on Crab, in fact, I think Joe and Marty take more responsiblity for this loss.

That said, Edger did upload a video on drive killing mistakes the team made and it confirmed that Crabtree did drop a 1st down conversion pass. The other was short of a 1st, but I think this drop was also a bad one because had he caught it, the team might have sent out Tucker for a FG instead of Koch for a punt. Now on that play I have to get on Joe, because he made a bigger mistake on not spotting Mark Andrews who was wide open for a seam route that would've gotten at least a good 15, maybe 20 yards. Big mistake on both sides but an even bigger one by Joe.

So with the 3rd down drop, and the TD drop, we can make the arguement that Crabtree left 10 points off the board.

Now my main issue with Crabtree is that this is a consistent problem through five games. This isn't something that I'm concerned about because of this game, this has been a trend for Crabtree that might only continue. Chris Moore has made plays downfield and so has Buck Allen, if Crabtree is going to drop passes and leave points on the board while not being a effective option in his catch % or his catches overall, then maybe it's time to look at other options.
I think we are on the same page, then.

After the first Crabtree drop, the first thing that ran through my head was, "Here we go again." It is really frustrating- these aren't especially difficult passes to catch for a lot of them. I know there was one against the Bengals where a defender was draped on him and the touchdown was tough, but for the most part, these are just watching the ball in, don't take your eyes off.

And I am very glad he's taking responsibility. Like you said, if he catches those passes, are the Ravens 4-1 right now? Well, almost assuredly, yes, so it is really upsetting, and I"m sure he's just as upset, probably drastically more so. He knows he left points on the field and he messed up. I'm glad he's owning it.

I am very glad, though, that you pointed out the poor play of Flacco (tunnel vision) and the poor play calling of Marty (the amount of plays where the Ravens had a single player at the LoS as a dump off outlet was maddening) because I feel Crabtree is becoming too much of the scapegoat and people are ignoring how poorly Joe played, how poorly Alex Lewis and James Hurst played, etc.

Just a very disappointing game all the way around.

I think we are on the same page, then.

After the first Crabtree drop, the first thing that ran through my head was, "Here we go again." It is really frustrating- these aren't especially difficult passes to catch for a lot of them. I know there was one against the Bengals where a defender was draped on him and the touchdown was tough, but for the most part, these are just watching the ball in, don't take your eyes off.

And I am very glad he's taking responsibility. Like you said, if he catches those passes, are the Ravens 4-1 right now? Well, almost assuredly, yes, so it is really upsetting, and I"m sure he's just as upset, probably drastically more so. He knows he left points on the field and he messed up. I'm glad he's owning it.

I am very glad, though, that you pointed out the poor play of Flacco (tunnel vision) and the poor play calling of Marty (the amount of plays where the Ravens had a single player at the LoS as a dump off outlet was maddening) because I feel Crabtree is becoming too much of the scapegoat and people are ignoring how poorly Joe played, how poorly Alex Lewis and James Hurst played, etc.

Just a very disappointing game all the way around.
I'm glad he's taking responsibility as well and he even apologized to Joe after the game for it which speaks to his character. He's a great guy and I think he can more then make up for it. He definitely left points off the board and had he made those plays, the Ravens are absolutely 4-1, but the thing is, this is the baggage that came with him here. We have to make sure we play well enough to where his drops don't matter quite frankley we did not last game.

We also have to recognize that there are much more contributing factors to this loss and I do believe that Crab can turn it around. Let's hope he does just that.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
What the fuck has happened to our special teams this year? Wolfpack aside, our ST play has been garbage. Bad returns, fumbles, horrendous blocking, etc. If we didn't allow a blocked FG then maybe there wouldn't have been an OT against the Browns. Rosburg needs to get this shit straightened out pronto.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I'm glad he's taking responsibility as well and he even apologized to Joe after the game for it which speaks to his character. He's a great guy and I think he can more then make up for it. He definitely left points off the board and had he made those plays, the Ravens are absolutely 4-1, but the thing is, this is the baggage that came with him here. We have to make sure we play well enough to where his drops don't matter quite frankley we did not last game.

We also have to recognize that there are much more contributing factors to this loss and I do believe that Crab can turn it around. Let's hope he does just that.
Yeah, he does seem like a stand up guy and you have to be pulling hard for him to improve and succeed. And of course there were many others including Flacco that could have played better. But it bears repeating that all players and teams have bad games, but the good teams find a way to win even when they have bad games. The Ravens had seemed to get that done.......almost.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
What the fuck has happened to our special teams this year? Wolfpack aside, our ST play has been garbage. Bad returns, fumbles, horrendous blocking, etc. If we didn't allow a blocked FG then maybe there wouldn't have been an OT against the Browns. Rosburg needs to get this shit straightened out pronto.
I think the bad returns have something to do with the new rule, but having two fg kicks blocked is ridiculous as we have pretty much the same personal, if not exactly the same

Tank

Hall of Famer
I think the bad returns have something to do with the new rule, but having two fg kicks blocked is ridiculous as we have pretty much the same personal, if not exactly the same
TBF the first was an illegal jump by the guy that blocked it. They have been getting close on others though and should never have the chance of a blocked FG. It’s not like other teams have Ed Reed storming from the end. lol

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Crabtree caught extra passes from Joe after practice then went straight to the Jugs machine. Nice to hear him working on it at least.
But I thought his demeanor and attitude didn't actually indicate that he cared..... Man our season just keeps ending over and over again. It's impressive.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I want to see Maxx catch more passes