• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defense, the Offense, and the Crabtree....

Yeah, he does seem like a stand up guy and you have to be pulling hard for him to improve and succeed. And of course there were many others including Flacco that could have played better. But it bears repeating that all players and teams have bad games, but the good teams find a way to win even when they have bad games. The Ravens had seemed to get that done.......almost.
Sooner rather then later this team will have to find a young player maker with talent at the skill position, it just catches up to us every year. Off topic but I feel like in that Browns game we just badly needed a X-Factor and it clearly showed that we didn't have one. Sunday's game showed that this team lacks an elite player at a skill position. You just need one whether it's at RB, WR, or TE. If I have to I would take one at the RB position.

When you're down like that and it's a one score game, that's when you need a play-maker who is going to make a play. I feel like one of the reasons why we've lost so many of these types of games is obviously because one team manages to make one more play then we do. I think this receiving group has made improvements, but I don't think it scares anyone.

I think John Brown has done well, but you need more. The TE's have really just overpreformed and not world beaters by any means and Snead is more of a traditional slot in the sense that he's not really going to stuff the stat sheet. I think Collins was supposed to be that guy but it just hasn't gone the way we hoped it would with him. I hope we can get the run game going because good things happen when Collins is in space.

Sad the Jarvis thing didn't work out, would've liked to have him and John Brown together. Not a trying to take a shot at Crab but it would be nice to have an X-factor like that here.

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
Sooner rather then later this team will have to find a young player maker with talent at the skill position, it just catches up to us every year. Off topic but I feel like in that Browns game we just badly needed a X-Factor and it clearly showed that we didn't have one. Sunday's game showed that this team lacks an elite player at a skill position. You just need one whether it's at RB, WR, or TE. If I have to I would take one at the RB position.

When you're down like that and it's a one score game, that's when you need a play-maker who is going to make a play. I feel like one of the reasons why we've lost so many of these types of games is obviously because one team manages to make one more play then we do. I think this receiving group has made improvements, but I don't think it scares anyone.

I think John Brown has done well, but you need more. The TE's have really just overpreformed and not world beaters by any means and Snead is more of a traditional slot in the sense that he's not really going to stuff the stat sheet. I think Collins was supposed to be that guy but it just hasn't gone the way we hoped it would with him. I hope we can get the run game going because good things happen when Collins is in space.

Sad the Jarvis thing didn't work out, would've liked to have him and John Brown together. Not a trying to take a shot at Crab but it would be nice to have an X-factor like that here.
Yeah the Browns really keyed in on Brown to force the play to others that just fell short. I think we could be fine if the guys we have play to their ability and Hurst pans out as expected. I do agree though...... We haven't had that "guy" since RR.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
The thing I don't get is that when other teams see their top guy being double teamed constantly, they use him as a decoy to create space for their other guys. Brown could run deep routes, open up the middle, and make it easy to throw passes to Snead and the TEs over the middle.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
The thing I don't get is that when other teams see their top guy being double teamed constantly, they use him as a decoy to create space for their other guys. Brown could run deep routes, open up the middle, and make it easy to throw passes to Snead and the TEs over the middle.
Nah, why do that when we can just throw him 14 passes when only a handful have a chance of being caught

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Yeah the Browns really keyed in on Brown to force the play to others that just fell short. I think we could be fine if the guys we have play to their ability and Hurst pans out as expected. I do agree though...... We haven't had that "guy" since RR.
I had high hopes for Bernard Pierce after his rookie season but all the talent and ability means zero if you're a moron.

They rolled coverage over to Brown and this is going to continue to happen untit others make plays. They might need to get Chris Moore more involved since he's an added deep threat and try to hit TEs on seam routes. I think that would soften coverage on Brown. It would also help if they got the run game going as well.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
They rolled coverage over to Brown and this is going to continue to happen untit others make plays. They might need to get Chris Moore more involved since he's an added deep threat and try to hit TEs on seam routes. I think that would soften coverage on Brown. It would also help if they got the run game going as well.

Well if Crabtree keeps dropping passes , they will concentrate on Brown permanently . I suspect Chris Moore may see more playing time soon if this continues.

Well if Crabtree keeps dropping passes , they will concentrate on Brown permanently . I suspect Chris Moore may see more playing time soon if this continues.
I do think Moore will see added but they'll ride it out with Crab. You badly need him to play well. Hopefully he gets it together because he has not had a good start to the season.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
There for a while he looked like the second coming of AP.
this sounds absurd now, but his rookie year he really did run like him, he fucking plowed over tacklers and he had a strong ass stride that had defenders violently bounce off his legs because the only chance they had was to tackle low.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Why not use Snead and the TEs instead for fucks sake. That’s what I don’t get. Crab is dropping left and right, Brown is doubled, and you don’t even bother with Snead who has been our most clutch and sure handed receiver this year, you don’t even bother with the first and third round TEs you have when one has been very good so far and the other should be an absolute monster. Why not use buck a little more creatively rather than the same old play action quick out from the backfield, because when he’s given a small bit of space to run he’s been a fucking stud this year.

I do not understand the need to force feed crab and brown, use your other guys for fucks sake, they’re all quality players

Tank

Hall of Famer
this sounds absurd now, but his rookie year he really did run like him, he fucking plowed over tacklers and he had a strong ass stride that had defenders violently bounce off his legs because the only chance they had was to tackle low.
He had that same upright style that I think ultimately proved to be his downfall with injuries.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Why not use Snead and the TEs instead for fucks sake. That’s what I don’t get. Crab is dropping left and right, Brown is doubled, and you don’t even bother with Snead who has been our most clutch and sure handed receiver this year, you don’t even bother with the first and third round TEs you have when one has been very good so far and the other should be an absolute monster. Why not use buck a little more creatively rather than the same old play action quick out from the backfield, because when he’s given a small bit of space to run he’s been a fucking stud this year.

I do not understand the need to force feed crab and brown, use your other guys for fucks sake, they’re all quality players
It was maddening that the TEs weren’t more involved in the Browns game.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i think our problem has been route combinations.. when you watch teams like pats,rams or even packers... those guys are running route combinations that can beat any cvg most of the time giving the QB more than 1 option. Last week, flacco was pretty much locked on who he was going to throw the ball to before the ball was even snapped.

Reactions: cdp

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
So I rewatched the Browns game here... And well I came to a couple of conclusions.
1. Defense is fine. They can only do so much and the fact that they held out as long as they did is impressive. Jimmy may need to get back into game shape sooner rather than later, but that's okay. This defense is the best we've fielded since 2011.
2. Yeah... Flacco was ass. Crabtree was dogshit.. But holy mother of god that gameplan was just downright awful. The Browns have a rock solid defense across the board and they have a good team this year, but they do have a weakness and one we are actually quite well equipped to take on. We have four TEs, including two high draft pick rookies. Maxx and Boyle have both been playing well. Why the fuck did we not get them involved. Sure Flacco was indecisive as all shit, but we've known him for 10 years. I refuse to believe he ignores the TE like that just by sheer choice. There's been a commonality in both of our losses this season, we didn't get the TEs going early. For all of that shit that Flacco has gotten for being a "checkdown artist". 1. He always did that with Rice and Pitta so you're by default full of shit, and 2. that system is what won us a ring. Flacco is good at exploiting matchups, and the TE is usually his best friend. And Andrews, Boyle, and Maxx have all been effective this year. Brown was doubled, Crabtree was struggling. Snead was ignored for some reason, but the tight ends? Come on Marty, it's Flacco. He's known league wide as a guy who likes his TEs. Sure Hayden Hurst is coming off of an injury but why the fuck would you even activate him if you're not even going to use him? It's nonsensical. You don't even have to use him exclusively, we have four good guys.

You can blame Flacco and Crabtree all you want for this loss. Flacco's INT was unforgivable and Crabtree dropped the game winner. At the end of regulation Flacco put us in position to win and Crabtree did have a few nice grabs. I get why so many were angry. We didn't lose to the Browns, we shot ourselves in the foot repeatedly through dumbass gameplan and horrible (as per usual with Marty) situational football. It took all three variables for us to lose this game but if either Flacco or Crabtree don't have a *derp* moment we win this, even just by a hair in spite of the shitty playcalling. But if we have a good game plan going into the week we blow them the fuck out.

Our season isn't over, but I am highly starting to question how much Marty has to do with the offense's improvement. We don't have "the guy" like we did with Ray Rice all those years ago but this supporting cast is a quality one from top to bottom. Even with the stinker Flacco had, this looks more like a stinker Flacco had in 2011 or 2012, rather than the ones in 2016-2017.

I'm not worried about Crabtree in the long run. He'll be fine. I don't buy into the bullshit narrative that "it appears on the field as if he doesn't care", because that's what that narrative is, it's bullshit. And I'm not worried about Flacco either. I never bought the other bullshit "horrible decline" narrative either. I am worried about Marty, and Harbaugh. Because we have a run game problem, and there's a crystal clear solution that Harbaugh refuses to act upon, and I am skeptical of how much Marty is contributing to the offensive success. You still see the shit playcalling at times, even in our victories. He's better than a Cam Cameron or Trestman but he cannot afford another repeat performance like that if we want to make the postseason.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
So I rewatched the Browns game here... And well I came to a couple of conclusions.
1. Defense is fine. They can only do so much and the fact that they held out as long as they did is impressive. Jimmy may need to get back into game shape sooner rather than later, but that's okay. This defense is the best we've fielded since 2011.
2. Yeah... Flacco was ass. Crabtree was dogshit.. But holy mother of god that gameplan was just downright awful. The Browns have a rock solid defense across the board and they have a good team this year, but they do have a weakness and one we are actually quite well equipped to take on. We have four TEs, including two high draft pick rookies. Maxx and Boyle have both been playing well. Why the fuck did we not get them involved. Sure Flacco was indecisive as all shit, but we've known him for 10 years. I refuse to believe he ignores the TE like that just by sheer choice. There's been a commonality in both of our losses this season, we didn't get the TEs going early. For all of that shit that Flacco has gotten for being a "checkdown artist". 1. He always did that with Rice and Pitta so you're by default full of shit, and 2. that system is what won us a ring. Flacco is good at exploiting matchups, and the TE is usually his best friend. And Andrews, Boyle, and Maxx have all been effective this year. Brown was doubled, Crabtree was struggling. Snead was ignored for some reason, but the tight ends? Come on Marty, it's Flacco. He's known league wide as a guy who likes his TEs. Sure Hayden Hurst is coming off of an injury but why the fuck would you even activate him if you're not even going to use him? It's nonsensical. You don't even have to use him exclusively, we have four good guys.

You can blame Flacco and Crabtree all you want for this loss. Flacco's INT was unforgivable and Crabtree dropped the game winner. At the end of regulation Flacco put us in position to win and Crabtree did have a few nice grabs. I get why so many were angry. We didn't lose to the Browns, we shot ourselves in the foot repeatedly through dumbass gameplan and horrible (as per usual with Marty) situational football. It took all three variables for us to lose this game but if either Flacco or Crabtree don't have a *derp* moment we win this, even just by a hair in spite of the shitty playcalling. But if we have a good game plan going into the week we blow them the fuck out.

Our season isn't over, but I am highly starting to question how much Marty has to do with the offense's improvement. We don't have "the guy" like we did with Ray Rice all those years ago but this supporting cast is a quality one from top to bottom. Even with the stinker Flacco had, this looks more like a stinker Flacco had in 2011 or 2012, rather than the ones in 2016-2017.

I'm not worried about Crabtree in the long run. He'll be fine. I don't buy into the bullshit narrative that "it appears on the field as if he doesn't care", because that's what that narrative is, it's bullshit. And I'm not worried about Flacco either. I never bought the other bullshit "horrible decline" narrative either. I am worried about Marty, and Harbaugh. Because we have a run game problem, and there's a crystal clear solution that Harbaugh refuses to act upon, and I am skeptical of how much Marty is contributing to the offensive success. You still see the shit playcalling at times, even in our victories. He's better than a Cam Cameron or Trestman but he cannot afford another repeat performance like that if we want to make the postseason.
Our season is over

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
So much swearing that adds nothing to the post. From someone who swears a lot
Of all the things you decide to simply sit back and critique my vernacular. I know I swear too much, obviously never in a truly professional setting but it's something I'm working on. I may only be getting slightly better but that's it. You in particular have been critiquing me from the beggining and I typically ignore it and just move on with my life, but honestly, it's been almost a decade. Even going from the days since I was "Mr. Irrelevant" on the old forum, and all I will ask is, don't you have anything better to do? Seriously?

Whatever dude. I've been trying to curse less. Find something to actually worthwhile to do.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I don’t think crab doesn’t give a shit, but I also think something needs to happen with his hands, he’s just a really laid back kinda guy until you piss him off(talib, Sherman). I don’t think he’s a busy signing like maclin, I think he’s just having some struggles right now that he’s gonna work through

ALI624

Pro Bowler
Of all the things you decide to simply sit back and critique my vernacular. I know I swear too much, obviously never in a truly professional setting but it's something I'm working on. I may only be getting slightly better but that's it. You in particular have been critiquing me from the beggining and I typically ignore it and just move on with my life, but honestly, it's been almost a decade. Even going from the days since I was "Mr. Irrelevant" on the old forum, and all I will ask is, don't you have anything better to do? Seriously?

Whatever dude. I've been trying to curse less. Find something to actually worthwhile to do.
You watch your FUCKING MOUTH!