• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @Titans

Our run game is looking like that all year actually.
Line isn't blocking well, RBs are average, coaches aren't persistent, run plays aren't too imaginative, fumbles make coaches have even less trust.....
The worst consequence is that Flacco is then forced to again throw 50+ passes - and that's possible due to our O line protecting him very well - but never really worked for Joe or the team.
Also hurts when our receivers have 16 dropped passes, the most in the league.

Despite the yards not looking terribly terrible, the run game overall was horrid, it was killing drives, we were so inconsistent with it that it wasn’t a solid gameplan to keep running. It seemed anytime we were able to move the chains once or twice, a run for a loss of 3 was the catalyst to kill our drive.

I think our run game needed more creativity, the stretch plays to loaded sides every other first down was probably the overall worst part of the gameplan.
So because you lose yards, it's better to throw it as many times you we did with the ball not moving at all? What's kills drives are drops, incompletions, sacks, and interceptions, which derives from the passing game. Joe is 3-12 when he throws 50+ times and the game was close. Losing yards can happen when running the football, but it doesn't mean that you stop running.

Last edited:
I think Harb's seat is hotter than Flacco's if for no other reason (and there are others) than the fact that Jackson is not ready to be the guy. If Harbs misses the playoffs again, well, anyone can do that, so why would a new GM want to keep him around?
It depends on how they view it. Most teams show loyalty to their QBs rather then their coaches. It depends on how we finish. If Joe has a good yet and somehow we miss the post-season, then I think Harbaugh will be gone. If Joe preforms at a poor level then Harbaugh likely stays with a final warning. There's also the chance that both can be gone as well.

The team doesn't have to rush Jackson's development because we only save 10M in cap space if we release Joe. 2020 they might have no choice but to go with Lamar.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
So because you lose yards, it's better to throw it as many times you we did with the ball not moving at all? What's kills drives are drops, incompletions, sacks, and interceptions, which derives from the passing game. Joe is 3-12 when he throws 50+ times and the game was close. Losing yards can happen when running the football, but it doesn't mean that you stop running.
No. It’s better not to run it like fucking morons. Loading one side and then predictably running a stretch on first down basically every series. We haven’t been a stretch zone team since 2014. Use the TEs the right way, block the edge, bring one out of the backfield, pull, use the Greg Roman ingenuity and take that penetration their front was giving us and use it against them, be less predictable, mix up the down and distance calls, dial up more screens to counter the blitz.

The problem wasn’t trying to run it, the problem was the predictability

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
No. It’s better not to run it like fucking morons. Loading one side and then predictably running a stretch on first down basically every series. We haven’t been a stretch zone team since 2014. Use the TEs the right way, block the edge, bring one out of the backfield, pull, use the Greg Roman ingenuity and take that penetration their front was giving us and use it against them, be less predictable, mix up the down and distance calls, dial up more screens to counter the blitz.

Power running game isn't that unpredictable. Though we'd probably be doing that just fine if we'd just start Brown at RT and ran to that side. Him, Yanda, Maxx, and Ricard can open some holes.

We ran plenty of stretch runs last year with success, it's about execution and keeping a defense on it's heals. It's also about unpredictability so even if a stretch run doesn't get you a chunk play, it doesn't mean it's a bad one since you're making your runs unpredictable. Now it's not good to lose yards, but it will be more difficult to run the ball if you're not able to stretch the defense to the width of the field. We've literally tried every run concept for close to no success, I don't see anything much different from how our run game operates this year as compared to last year. We did plenty of outside zone last year.

I don't think this falls on the scheme as much as it does on execution. I'm not upset with the stretch runs, Collins is a stud in space and one of his best attributes is his cutback ability. You're not going to run all stretch run zone's with success, but that's fine as long as you keep a defense on it's heels when you're failing to run it in any blocking concept or strategy. The point of the stretch run is to open up the other various type of run plays.

Personally, I think it's time for an OL shuffle. Hurst is wearing down and Lewis is underwhelming. Sooner rather then later the team will have to insert Brown at RT with Hurst filling in at LG. It almost seems inevitable at this point with teams soon to roll coverage with John Brown making it more of the priority to run the ball.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
We ran plenty of stretch runs last year with success, it's about execution and keeping a defense on it's heals. It's also about unpredictability so even if a stretch run doesn't get you a chunk play, it doesn't mean it's a bad one since you're making your runs unpredictable. Now it's not good to lose yards, but it will be more difficult to run the ball if you're not able to stretch the defense to the width of the field. We've literally tried every run concept for close to no success, I don't see anything much different from how our run game operates this year as compared to last year. We did plenty of outside zone last year.

I don't think this falls on the scheme as much as it does on execution. I'm not upset with the stretch runs, Collins is a stud in space and one of his best attributes is his cutback ability. You're not going to run all stretch run zone's with success, but that's fine as long as you keep a defense on it's heels when you're failing to run it in any blocking concept or strategy. The point of the stretch run is to open up the other various type of run plays.

Personally, I think it's time for an OL shuffle. Hurst is wearing down and Lewis is underwhelming. Sooner rather then later the team will have to insert Brown at RT with Hurst filling in at LG. It almost seems inevitable at this point with teams soon to roll coverage with John Brown making it more of the priority to run the ball.
I could be wrong but I don’t recall running stretch as a focal point last year like we did against Cleveland, I remember a lot of sweeps and pitch plays which worked extremely well, mostly due to, guess what, our TEs blocking well in space, maxx and Collins together were deadly on those sweeps last year, and we were consistently creative and unpredictable, I didn’t see an ounce of creativity last week and we were extremely predictable, load one side with TEs and then run stretch to that side, on first and 10. It was just too predictable.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
So because you lose yards, it's better to throw it as many times you we did with the ball not moving at all? What's kills drives are drops, incompletions, sacks, and interceptions, which derives from the passing game. Joe is 3-12 when he throws 50+ times and is the game was close. Losing yards is about of running the football, it doesn't mean that you stop running.

Interesting @TheCity5. I just said something similar to this to a friend of mine yesterday actually.

To me, with all things being equal; the Ravens offensive personnel doesn't fit that "50+ passing team" mold. At all! Flacco isn't Brees, Brady or Rodgers to be throwing 50+ a game. That seems to be a recipe for disaster for the Ravens imo!

To me, the Ravens personnel fits more of a "power run" scheme that could be highly effective when creatively mixing it in with some playaction and by allowing Joe to run some "quick tempo" out of the Gun (which I think he is pretty good at) and running out of the Gun from time to time as well in order to keep the defense honest. Along with Crabtree, Snead and Brown, eating (getting their passes) those TE's also need to eat by staying heavily involved. Whatever happened to all of the creative offensive playcalling that we saw earlier in the season? Smh!

Hopefully, I can see what I've mentioned here being played out on the field on Sunday vs the Titans? We'll see....

GO RAVENS!!!

Last edited:

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Lowkey hoping Alex Lewis gets like a tight hamstring so we can see what the line should be.. run draws on first down and more pitches. Mix it up throw in a reverse a game or more carries to max and pat. That’s how we stay spicy and win. Trust Collins in space and by god don’t go to a split back. Buck is great at everything except big plays running, never seen him make one. Quit the lamar shit it’s 2 yards 3 at best. These Coaches act like it’s so fucking complex

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lowkey hoping Alex Lewis gets like a tight hamstring so we can see what the line should be.. run draws on first down and more pitches. Mix it up throw in a reverse a game or more carries to max and pat. That’s how we stay spicy and win. Trust Collins in space and by god don’t go to a split back. Buck is great at everything except big plays running, never seen him make one. Quit the lamar shit it’s 2 yards 3 at best. These Coaches act like it’s so fucking complex

The fact that they actually let Lamar throw on one of the plays against the Browns was a promising sign. If they allow him to use his judgment and make plays out there then it's only a matter of time before a big play happens. Of course, you can argue that it's just taking plays away from Flacco, however, when Flacco has his clunker games then is there really that much of a difference? Honestly, we probably should have seen more of Lamar against the Browns and maybe it would have resulted in more points.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The fact that they actually let Lamar throw on one of the plays against the Browns was a promising sign. If they allow him to use his judgment and make plays out there then it's only a matter of time before a big play happens. Of course, you can argue that it's just taking plays away from Flacco, however, when Flacco has his clunker games then is there really that much of a difference? Honestly, we probably should have seen more of Lamar against the Browns and maybe it would have resulted in more points.
Although I’m not against Flacco, I do agree that more plays with Lamar on clunkers like Sunday could have been beneficial.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Although I’m not against Flacco, I do agree that more plays with Lamar on clunkers like Sunday could have been beneficial.

Yeah, I'm not against Flacco either, but some games he's definitely a bit "off" and, in those cases, we could probably use Lamar more just to give the offense a bit of a spark.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, I'm not against Flacco either, but some games he's definitely a bit "off" and, in those cases, we could probably use Lamar more just to give the offense a bit of a spark.
Yea I’m fine when we need a spark but not when we are driving. Someone pointed out we only put in lamar after big plays. Use him for a big play not a wasted 2 yard and a down. And let him throw Atleast a play action or a screen, everyone knows he is running when he goes out

It’s a great city. Don’t forget to have Princes Fire Chicken or Hatti Bs Hot Chicken and they have some really good BBQ in Nashville as well. Martins BBQ is pretty close to the stadium and the Sky Blue Cafe is a good breakfast place. Ask for Faith, she was our waitress.
Thanks for the recommendations! I've been there a couple times ... once was just an over night saw a show ... another time was with family for my niece who graduated from Vandy, so I just was following the pack. This one is just me and my son, who is now old enough to hit the bars with me, which should be fun.

Hey I’ll be there too haha. Where ya sittin?

Also what’s your social security number and your address
Ha - I am too savvy to fall for these phishing schemes !

Actually, I don't know where I'm sitting. Tasked my son to get the tickets - he just told me there pretty good. Based on price and location balance, we almost always end up 2nd level about mid-way up at around the 30 yard line when we go to games.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yea I’m fine when we need a spark but not when we are driving. Someone pointed out we only put in lamar after big plays. Use him for a big play not a wasted 2 yard and a down. And let him throw Atleast a play action or a screen, everyone knows he is running when he goes out

I can't stand that predictability when Lamar is on the field. EVERYONE knows what is about to happen.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Everyone THINKS they know what’s about to happen. I bet you guys didn’t think he’d try and throw vs the Browns. I bet you guys can’t predict every time whether he’s gonna run it or hand it off. It’s not that predictable. As soon as teams start to guess run then there’s gonna be a big gain through the air. Quit whining

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Everyone THINKS they know what’s about to happen. I bet you guys didn’t think he’d try and throw vs the Browns. I bet you guys can’t predict every time whether he’s gonna run it or hand it off. It’s not that predictable. As soon as teams start to guess run then there’s gonna be a big gain through the air. Quit whining
OMG Lamar RUNS too much. Bustout!

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

What has happened with Lamar and Flacco on the field at the same time up to this point has been extremely predictable to me and even Stevie Wonder can see that! This is football not rocket science.

Last edited: