• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: Vs. Saints

ALI624

Pro Bowler
Keeping Brees on the sidelines is key. Keep our defense fresh. That first Titan drive is the type of drives we need, of course it won’t be the same but similar would be ideal.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
interestingly skura has had a couple of nightmare games in a row - also i picked up on something that ken didnt go into but he mentioned stanley missing some pull blocks because he was tripping (and we typically have mainly been running power to the right side - behind yanda for obvious reasons) but i was wondering if maybe part of the tripping problem is down to skura getting destroyed early in the down

i mean that literally throws everything off - the interior blockers have to be strong and well-anchored or the whole play is dead on arrival

after starting the season strong (and even alex lewis played well the last 2 weeks - maybe we were too fast to get down on him and maybe he really was just working back from injuries etc.) you have to think that another poor skura performance and maybe we look at potential switch options...
Ken did mention that we could be looking at alternatives at center.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Contrary to popular opinion, I think the key for this game is to establish the run and try to not give many big plays on D. It won't be easy, the Saints run D is among the best in the league so far and we all know what playmakers on offense they have but if we're forced into the shootout, we're dead.

And everybody and their dog started talking way too early about our record vs Brees, which is not a good thing.

I have uneasy feeling about this one.
I’m not sure anyone talking about the record really plays a role in whether Brees plays well or not against us. If it did he would’ve beaten us by now. I also don’t think that even matters much except that our defensive scheme clearly gives him issues. He has a nice team around him and this won’t expect this to be an easy game by any means but I do think this will be a victory because we are home. If we were away I would just as likely think the opposite. Here’s hoping that’s what happens though

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
interestingly skura has had a couple of nightmare games in a row - also i picked up on something that ken didnt go into but he mentioned stanley missing some pull blocks because he was tripping (and we typically have mainly been running power to the right side - behind yanda for obvious reasons) but i was wondering if maybe part of the tripping problem is down to skura getting destroyed early in the down

i mean that literally throws everything off - the interior blockers have to be strong and well-anchored or the whole play is dead on arrival

after starting the season strong (and even alex lewis played well the last 2 weeks - maybe we were too fast to get down on him and maybe he really was just working back from injuries etc.) you have to think that another poor skura performance and maybe we look at potential switch options...
I’ve been saying all along to cut Lewis some slack bc he’s still working his way back and I’ve never been ok with Skura so that sounds about right lol

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’ve been saying all along to cut Lewis some slack bc he’s still working his way back and I’ve never been ok with Skura so that sounds about right lol
I don’t think Skura is bad and I think he’s been okay but if we can upgrade then do it. I just don’t know who we can get to upgrade on him because he knows the offense but maybe Grasu can do it or perhaps Nico I don’t know or maybe even Bozeman. Grasu has certainly been here long enough now where he could’ve picked up the offense, so maybe

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don’t think Skura is bad and I think he’s been okay but if we can upgrade then do it. I just don’t know who we can get to upgrade on him because he knows the offense but maybe Grasu can do it or perhaps Nico I don’t know or maybe even Bozeman. Grasu has certainly been here long enough now where he could’ve picked up the offense, so maybe

at this point if we put bozeman in i wouldnt be worried about him getting to level 2 or anything fancy in the run game - id just want him to make his block and hold up at the point of attack to allow our running game to have a chance at succeeding

does anyone know if we had any pass snaps with bozeman in against the titans?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This passed me by until i just saw it and i imagine its unlikely he plays or is active vs the saints but Anthony Averett practiced on a limited basis which is a good sign - and a great sign that we might be back to almost a full complement of corners (and a better group than the one we started the season with)

that being said looking at cyrus jones now on the roster i think averett will find it a struggle to be active at all on gamedays because jones is our returner and is the closest in play style and body type on the roster to tavon young (although if tavon were to actually go down i imagine we'd use a combination of more big nickel snaps with chuck clark or some of brandon carr in the slot (like he did a few times last year) first)

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
at this point if we put bozeman in i wouldnt be worried about him getting to level 2 or anything fancy in the run game - id just want him to make his block and hold up at the point of attack to allow our running game to have a chance at succeeding

does anyone know if we had any pass snaps with bozeman in against the titans?
4th quarter:
13:58, 12:41, 10:48 8:15 6:25.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This passed me by until i just saw it and i imagine its unlikely he plays or is active vs the saints but Anthony Averett practiced on a limited basis which is a good sign - and a great sign that we might be back to almost a full complement of corners (and a better group than the one we started the season with)

that being said looking at cyrus jones now on the roster i think averett will find it a struggle to be active at all on gamedays because jones is our returner and is the closest in play style and body type on the roster to tavon young (although if tavon were to actually go down i imagine we'd use a combination of more big nickel snaps with chuck clark or some of brandon carr in the slot (like he did a few times last year) first)
Add in the fact that in 3 or 4 weeks we may activate Canady to the dbs and maybe even Dixon.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
https://saintsreport.com/threads/what-ravens-fans-are-saying-yes-theyre-on-sr.392521/page-2
Just found this thread now but there are a lot. Typically one person will give us credit only for others to laugh.

All of them are talking about how our defense means nothing because the skins were ranked one and we haven’t beat any. In there next four games thread everyone is only talking about the eagles and the rams and Vikings stuff.

I can’t post a screenshot but the second page first post is them saying we think we have a complete offense which is laughable and a guy responded about 4 posts down saying he is delusional or on crack

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
https://saintsreport.com/threads/what-ravens-fans-are-saying-yes-theyre-on-sr.392521/page-2
Just found this thread now but there are a lot. Typically one person will give us credit only for others to laugh.

All of them are talking about how our defense means nothing because the skins were ranked one and we haven’t beat any. In there next four games thread everyone is only talking about the eagles and the rams and Vikings stuff.

I can’t post a screenshot but the second page first post is them saying we think we have a complete offense which is laughable and a guy responded about 4 posts down saying he is delusional or on crack
The start of most threads seem to have reason and logic but then they go full aints about how they will easily put up 30

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
@Lost_In_Translation that thread there is probably the most brutal on that board. Anything on Instagram or Facebook means nothing but forums tend to be more than the average fan. I love the saints franchise and there fans and I guess they are 4-1

Them claiming that we haven’t beat anyone who’s an nfl team even is plain stupid. Look at who they beat...

Our defense isn’t as good as it was against the titans and no way we get more than 3 sacks but it really bothers me how A large crowd seems to think they will just dump it off to Ingram and Alvin and get 1000 yards and then shut down our passing attack.

If
The offense can stay clicking (need to play great) and that rain report on the weather moves from Saturday to Sunday we got this. If we can’t make plays early we Stand no chance.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
4th quarter:
13:58, 12:41, 10:48 8:15 6:25.

so that's interesting:

13:58 - is his first play after lewis goes out (the 2nd time) and it's straight into a 3rd and 9 high leverage down situation
looks like a miscommunication or misunderstanding over who needed to pickup which guy - wasn't a disastrous move except it opened up a lane for the blitz - bozeman made a block but i think he picked the wrong guy - but given that it was his first play after coming in im willing to give him a pass for that one

12:41 - 2 combo blocks - doubles at the snap with skura and helps stonewall the rusher then moves across to help stanley who's getting bulled backwards a bit and helps end the chance of that rush getting home or pressuring joe

fun note on a play just before this next one: ravens 3rd and 1 - Collins running and we pull bozeman across and basically he's the lead back - if he makes the block we get the first down, if he misses the block we dont get the first down - there's 3 titans there and he has to hit the right one and he does

10:48 - ooh i like this one - he sells the playaction run block really well (in fact the whole OL does) and he makes 2 blocks - i like that he's busy and always looking for the next block to make - i would like him to protect his space a bit more (which he could have done with the first pass set above)

more nice run blocking sets by bozeman (if anyone's interested marshal yanda absolutely destroys a DL who's been playing at an all-pro level this year with 9:28 left on the clock in the 4th)

8:15 - dont like this - he gets well down the field before the ball is thrown and then cant find anyone to block anyway - its a double deception play that loses yardage - not his fault at all and the titans only rushed 3 and i like that he was looking for work but that could have been one of those stupidly frustrating penalties because it affects the play not at all (was miles down the field lol)

6:25 - another double team - looks like he almost gets beaten by a swim move and would have without the help

basically we didnt leave him 1v1 once which makes a lot of sense given the circumstances
run blocking is a definite strength at the LoS - will be interested to see what he can do in level 2 and maybe hopefully see more of his pass protection sets

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
How dare there fans think they will gut us with running backs. We’re the Baltimore fucking ravens how disrespectful. We only
Get gashed by tightens lmao

rossihunter2

Staff Member

They do have a good defense but if we protect the ball and don't abandon the run, we should come out with a win. Their number 1 pass defense hasn't had to cover a back like kamara; I believe we throw easy quick passes early in the game and start gashing them later off of play action. Can't wait.

about this they are not wrong... kamara is like no player we've faced and he's one of the top playmakers in the league and breaks tackles like no one else

and while the quick passes they mention are unlikely to open up play action, they are right that we have shown ourselves (at least our ILBs) to be a little too easily sold on play-action

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
about this they are not wrong... kamara is like no player we've faced and he's one of the top playmakers in the league and breaks tackles like no one else

and while the quick passes they mention are unlikely to open up play action, they are right that we have shown ourselves (at least our ILBs) to be a little too easily sold on play-action
I don’t think we have a chance if we blitz. I wonder if
Jefferson will be on Alvin for most of the game. Our d line is
Probably key to me, they need to get pressure, idc much about sacks just not letting him have the ball forever. If we
Can tackle will be okay

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I don’t think we have a chance if we blitz. I wonder if
Jefferson will be on Alvin for most of the game. Our d line is
Probably key to me, they need to get pressure, idc much about sacks just not letting him have the ball forever. If we
Can tackle will be okay

I don't care who you're playing... you blitz, it's just the frequency you do it. You won't see us attacking like last week, but you throw them in there. Can't have anyone thinking you're scared to send extra men unless that's just your scheme.