• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: Vs. Steelers

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Zrebiec:

Three Ravens return to practice: CB Marlon Humphrey (thigh), LG ALex Lewis (neck) and C/G Bradley Bozeman (calf)

Not practicing for Ravens: RB Alex Collins (foot), LT Ronnie Stanley (ankle), RT James Hurst (back), S Tony Jefferson (hamstring), OLB Tim Williams (ankle) and MLB C.J. Mosley (thigh). Collins was limited yesterday.
Unfortunately one of the worst possible injury report. Stanley and Collins need to play. What about Montgomery? Do you let him play without much time to study the playbook? Buck and Edwards ugh....

Right, but the mantra is generally BPA at a position of need (although, I'm starting to doubt the BPA strategy with some of these picks...), so that would seem to mean Ozzie defaults to the research and work that DeCosta did.
Thing is, I think we've had some eyes on some really good players in the draft, It's just that we've chosen the wrong guys. For EXP, I believe that we liked Deion Jones in the 2016 draft as he did have a visit with us and we needed a sideline-to-sideline LB. We also had a visit from Michael Thomas as well(Kill me) and we needed a WR, but we went with Correa instead. Yeah Decosta organizes the board and does the some research, but in the end Ozzie has to make the pick. There's a good chance that we liked Thomas and Jones, but went with Correa instead for whatever reason.

Maybe Correa was a Pees pick though, but a god awful one when you had two players who are elite at their positions who the Ravens liked at a position of need. That's just what it comes down to, making the right pick and that falls on Ozzie more then anyone else. Also, I think it's unrealistic to say that Ozzie doesn't do his HW on any of the prospects because he absolutely does, whether that's a based on the reflection of DeCostas input or not, he still has a grasp on each individual player.

Chris Moore needs to be targeted deep more. He's the next best deep threat after John Brown by default and needs to be more involved. Teams are playing press man and they're rolling coverage over to John Brown. This team can't run the ball so why not try to get Moore more involved deep? I would like to see more creativety in that aspect and getting double teams off of John Brown is an issue and the fact that this team is still struggling to even take advantage of it is saying a lot about Marty and even Joe.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Speaking of offense, @TheCity5 , I would like to see this offense utilize more up-tempo. 3 out of Flacco's last 5 TD passes were based on us running a hurry-up/up-tempo offense. By no means, do I want this implemented for all 4 quarters, but some here and some there would help.

Speaking of offense, @TheCity5 , I would like to see this offense utilize more up-tempo. 3 out of Flacco's last 5 TD passes were based on us running a hurry-up/up-tempo offense. By no means, do I want this implemented for all 4 quarters, but some here and some there would help.
I'd like to see more uptempo as well but in spurts as we're going to start to see some elite offenses soon and I wouldn't want to see this defense on the field too much because we haven't seen the offense being able to sustain drives themselves.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I'd like to see more uptempo as well but in spurts as we're going to start to see some elite offenses soon and I wouldn't want to see this defense on the field too much because we haven't seen the offense being able to sustain drives themselves.
And this is what I meant. We tried that shit too much in 2012 during the regular season and it didn't do our defense, which was completely suspect at the time, any favors. Now the team's awareness needs to improve because there has been a number of times where we catch the defense off guard and gain chunks of yards, but we don't because we're the Ravens and we like to make things difficult.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I fear this will be the third game in a row where our pass-rush will fail to deliver. I'm honestly surprised as hell that the Steelers didn't score 30 on us the last time they played in BAL.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I actually think this is the biggest game we’ve played in the last 5 years. A loss means our season is actually over, with only a very small shot at a wild card. A loss here means harbs is out. I can’t think of a game this crucial since 2012.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I actually think this is the biggest game we’ve played in the last 5 years. A loss means our season is actually over, with only a very small shot at a wild card. A loss here means harbs is out. I can’t think of a game this crucial since 2012.
I agree because a loss here at home against our rival before a bye in a year most think is a decision year would have ripple effects for our franchise. Harbaugh has to win these next two games—I feel it is paramount—for him to keep his job so I guess we will really see if his team has “hearts of lions”.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Chris Moore needs to be targeted deep more. He's the next best deep threat after John Brown by default and needs to be more involved. Teams are playing press man and they're rolling coverage over to John Brown. This team can't run the ball so why not try to get Moore more involved deep? I would like to see more creativety in that aspect and getting double teams off of John Brown is an issue and the fact that this team is still struggling to even take advantage of it is saying a lot about Marty and even Joe.
Perhaps that is the plan because I feel like he’s getting more opportunities. Anyone know if his snap counts and targets have increased? When it comes to being a deep threat you first have to prove it before teams respect you and I recall telling people when we drafted Perriman to hold up because no team will care to stop him until he proves he needs their game plan to stop him. Not saying you’re saying this, just saying Brown has shown that so teams are shifting coverage his way now we must show we can beat you deep with others to make them respect us

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Game plan should be to involve the TE a lot because like us the Steelers have issues covering the TE so you exploit that. Run John Brown deep to shift coverage with him because they will double him for 2:1. That leaves 9 on our 4 due to the OL and Flacco. 3-5 of their defensive front will go against our OL leaving 6-4 defenders on our 4. Due to their DL and our OL I would absolutely use a lot of 2 TE set here to help disguise pass and run pro. It’ll require they keep their LB in the game to open up the pass game more. Put Montgomery or Allen out there at RB to set up a quick pass to exploit their commitment to the stop the run and have Crabtree and Snead work their LB as well by attacking them up the middle to also eat up the clock. Just avoid Hayden, Joe, FFS.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Thing is, I think we've had some eyes on some really good players in the draft, It's just that we've chosen the wrong guys. For EXP, I believe that we liked Deion Jones in the 2016 draft as he did have a visit with us and we needed a sideline-to-sideline LB. We also had a visit from Michael Thomas as well(Kill me) and we needed a WR, but we went with Correa instead. Yeah Decosta organizes the board and does the some research, but in the end Ozzie has to make the pick. There's a good chance that we liked Thomas and Jones, but went with Correa instead for whatever reason.

Maybe Correa was a Pees pick though, but a god awful one when you had two players who are elite at their positions who the Ravens liked at a position of need. That's just what it comes down to, making the right pick and that falls on Ozzie more then anyone else. Also, I think it's unrealistic to say that Ozzie doesn't do his HW on any of the prospects because he absolutely does, whether that's a based on the reflection of DeCostas input or not, he still has a grasp on each individual player.
Sure, of course Ozzie has a say in the draft, but the point that I'm making is it seems like the reigns have grown looser and looser for DeCosta and he's had more and more input in running the draft.

As for the rest, it doesn't matter if you like a guy or not if you don't pick them. The Ravens can like Deion Jones or Michael Thomas all they want, but they had opportunities to pick both and failed to do so.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This means taking one of crab or Snead or a TE off the field far more often which isn’t gonna happen. I like the idea, but if we leave a TE in for this formation it’s gonna be Boyle for inline pass pro. I would love to see us run more 2 deep but based on who has to see the sideline for us to run this I just don’t see the ravens doing it