• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2024 NFL Draft General Discussion

rossihunter2

Staff Member

vikings grabbing ammo to trade up

id imagine they'll be wanting to get up to 4 or 5 in the draft and they'll have deals ready with both Arizona and LA
maybe they'll even try and entice the pats out of the 3rd pick

deal clearly following the jimmy johnson trade chart lol - funny that it's still being used for deal-making

according to the trade chart, the vikings 2 picks could get them up to the 4th overall pick

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Messing around with draft simulators, mainly to find more people I'd be interested in, and I gotta admit this would be a hell of a draft through 4 rounds:
30 overall: Cooper Dejean S/DB, Iowa
62: Max Melton CB, Rutgers
93: Kiran Amegadjie OT, Yale
113: Jalyx Hunt Edge, Houston Christian
130: Isaiah Adams G, Illinois

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler

Sounds like the Ravens like Jordan Morgan.

I'd be prepared to move up into the 20s to get him, if need be, even though I hate trading up as a rule.

I haven't seen much draft analysis that doubts his ability to play Left Tackle in the NFL. For someone like that even to get into the Ravens range in the draft is just a product of this crazy OT class.

Any other year, a prospect who looks like they can play NFL left tackle would go in the top 10-15 picks. I'd rather take advantage of this great OT year than let it pass us by, so even a trade up would still represent good value.

I'd be prepared to move up into the 20s to get him, if need be, even though I hate trading up as a rule.

I haven't seen much draft analysis that doubts his ability to play Left Tackle in the NFL. For someone like that even to get into the Ravens range in the draft is just a product of this crazy OT class.

Any other year, a prospect who looks like they can play NFL left tackle would go in the top 10-15 picks. I'd rather take advantage of this great OT year than let it pass us by, so even a trade up would still represent good value.

I do like Morgan but our front office seems to be against trading up as it places extra pressure on that pick hitting.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
I do like Morgan but our front office seems to be against trading up as it places extra pressure on that pick hitting.
They like to have a lot of picks, and I agree with them, but moving into Left Tackle range at the cost of only a late 3rd or early 4th would be a bargain by the standards of every almost other year, so maybe they'll look at it differently.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

jordan morgan is not special enough to trade up for
no guarantee he's a LT either
more of a T/G tweener - might be able to survive at RT, might have to move to G

i dont think he's a guy that's an unprecedented type of tackle prospect to be available in the 30s or even early R2 - definitely not a guy who would go top 10-15 in another year regardless of the strength of the tackle class...

i think there's at least 9 OL i'd take ahead of him in this class

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Messing around with draft simulators, mainly to find more people I'd be interested in, and I gotta admit this would be a hell of a draft through 4 rounds:
30 overall: Cooper Dejean S/DB, Iowa
62: Max Melton CB, Rutgers
93: Kiran Amegadjie OT, Yale
113: Jalyx Hunt Edge, Houston Christian
130: Isaiah Adams G, Illinois

really love the idea of cooper dejean in this secondary - not necessarily as a pure outside CB but as a versatile DB with nickel/safety flexibility to complement Hamilton and Marlo really well

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
jordan morgan is not special enough to trade up for
no guarantee he's a LT either
more of a T/G tweener - might be able to survive at RT, might have to move to G

i dont think he's a guy that's an unprecedented type of tackle prospect to be available in the 30s or even early R2 - definitely not a guy who would go top 10-15 in another year regardless of the strength of the tackle class...

i think there's at least 9 OL i'd take ahead of him in this class
There's never a guarantee anyone can play LT, but I think he's got a chance.

Looking at the last few drafts, it seems like that alone is enough to get players picked before #30. I don't need to bore you by listing them but I had a look at the OT prospects who have been picked in the teens and twenties over the last 5 years and I think Morgan is above average for that group.

In Free Agency, a lot of teams with Tackle needs seemed to take their other big needs off the board, as if clearing the way for an OT pick, which has me worrying that those 9 OL prospects might be off the board by 30.

I'm not saying Morgan is a special prospect, or that we need to jump far up the board to grab him. It's more that I think he might be the last decent OT prospect remaining, and, if he is, I wouldn't mind going up a few spots to select him.

OL has been a wasteland for years in the draft. Next year probably will be, too I'd be slightly disappointed if we came out of R1 with a corner or WR, just because those positions can be found every year.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
really love the idea of cooper dejean in this secondary - not necessarily as a pure outside CB but as a versatile DB with nickel/safety flexibility to complement Hamilton and Marlo really well
Dejean really does feel like he's got the potential to be a special player. Similar to Hamilton he just gives a defense a lot of flexibility. The combination of those two safeties and Roquan Smith in the middle of the defense with Marcus Williams behind them is a hell of a core group to build around.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Caleb Williams should demand a trade when Chicago drafts him. With the way the rookie scale works, you have three seasons before you're eligible for a new contract. You would think more QBs, especially RBs would ask for a trade to put themselves in a better positive with a better team.

Williams will likely have his second Head Coach next year when they fire Matt Eberflus after this season or during the season. Players need to do more to ensure they get put in good situations early in their career.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
There's never a guarantee anyone can play LT, but I think he's got a chance.

Looking at the last few drafts, it seems like that alone is enough to get players picked before #30. I don't need to bore you by listing them but I had a look at the OT prospects who have been picked in the teens and twenties over the last 5 years and I think Morgan is above average for that group.

In Free Agency, a lot of teams with Tackle needs seemed to take their other big needs off the board, as if clearing the way for an OT pick, which has me worrying that those 9 OL prospects might be off the board by 30.

I'm not saying Morgan is a special prospect, or that we need to jump far up the board to grab him. It's more that I think he might be the last decent OT prospect remaining, and, if he is, I wouldn't mind going up a few spots to select him.

OL has been a wasteland for years in the draft. Next year probably will be, too I'd be slightly disappointed if we came out of R1 with a corner or WR, just because those positions can be found every year.

but i dont think teams will think he can play LT

and maybe you should list them - im looking at those same groups of guys in the teens and twenties the last 5 years and cant find a prospect among them id take morgan over outside of isaiah wilson (who was a RT prospect taken 29th not a LT anyway)... maybe trevor penning - even the 2 guys the Raiders reached on (Kolton Miller and Alex Leatherwood) I'd probably take as prospects over Jordan Morgan

and the thing is, if it's all about guys with a chance of being a LT, then why would teams go for Morgan when they could go for Suamataia or Patrick Paul instead

would be insane if 12 OL go before we pick at 30 - and if they do then we will not be reaching for OL in R1 or trading up for the OL 10 just to make sure we get one - that's what bad teams do

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Dejean really does feel like he's got the potential to be a special player. Similar to Hamilton he just gives a defense a lot of flexibility. The combination of those two safeties and Roquan Smith in the middle of the defense with Marcus Williams behind them is a hell of a core group to build around.

DeJean on a down to down basis would have 3 position versatility with the ravens (safety, nickel, outside CB) which is an awesome skillset to pair with Hamilton and Marlo

idk if he'd have the same ceiling with a different group around him - but this secondary could be the right place to unlock everything he does well

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Caleb Williams should demand a trade when Chicago drafts him. With the way the rookie scale works, you have three seasons before you're eligible for a new contract. You would think more QBs, especially RBs would ask for a trade to put themselves in a better positive with a better team.

Williams will likely have his second Head Coach next year when they fire Matt Eberflus after this season or during the season. Players need to do more to ensure they get put in good situations early in their career.

he's in a pretty great situation right now tbh
the Bears roster is in a great place for a rookie QB to come into - with the 9th overall pick to augment him too

Simba

Staff Member

Bad take is bad

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler

and maybe you should list them - im looking at those same groups of guys in the teens and twenties the last 5 years and cant find a prospect among them id take morgan over outside of isaiah wilson (who was a RT prospect taken 29th not a LT anyway)... maybe trevor penning - even the 2 guys the Raiders reached on (Kolton Miller and Alex Leatherwood) I'd probably take as prospects over Jordan Morgan

and the thing is, if it's all about guys with a chance of being a LT, then why would teams go for Morgan when they could go for Suamataia or Patrick Paul instead

would be insane if 12 OL go before we pick at 30 - and if they do then we will not be reaching for OL in R1 or trading up for the OL 10 just to make sure we get one - that's what bad teams do
12 would be insane. 9 going before 30 might not be.

The Ravens will take the top player on their board but I'm pretty sure they're hoping that top player plays on the O Line.

You don't rate Morgan, I get it, but the general principle of being willing to move up a little to secure an O Lineman that you do like, in a year where team need and the strength of the draft class align so well isn't crazy and might offer a better return than trade ups usually do.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
12 would be insane. 9 going before 30 might not be.

The Ravens will take the top player on their board but I'm pretty sure they're hoping that top player plays on the O Line.

You don't rate Morgan, I get it, but the general principle of being willing to move up a little to secure an O Lineman that you do like, in a year where team need and the strength of the draft class align so well isn't crazy and might offer a better return than trade ups usually do.

But why trade up when you can sit there and take the next guy on the board with a similar grade if you’re desperate for that position

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
But why trade up when you can sit there and take the next guy on the board with a similar grade if you’re desperate for that position

That's almost certainly what the Ravens will do. However, if there is a tier break in the Ravens ranking of OL players they may want to get into range of their last R1 graded player, whoever that is.

It's unusual for the Ravens to find themselves almost needing to find some Y1 production at a certain position in the draft, but, if they do want to improve the OL, as they've stated, I think that's where they are. They're not going to find many upgrades via free agency at this stage.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

What is your top 12?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What is your top 12?

right now this is my top 15 OL:

Top 10 grade:
1) Joe Alt (OT)
2) Olu Fashanu (OT)

Definite 1st round grade:
3) Troy Fautanu (OT and OG)
4) Amarius Mims (OT)
5) JC Latham (OT - possibly not LT)
6) Taliese Fuaga (OT and OG - possibly not LT)
7) Tyler Guyton (OT)

Late 1st round grade:
8) Graham Barton (5 position flex - possibly not LT)
9) Jackson Powers-Johnson (IOL)
10) Christian Haynes (OG)

Early 2nd round grade:
11) Kingsley Suamataia (OT and maybe OG)

2nd round grade:
12) Jordan Morgan (OT and OG - probably not LT)
13) Blake Fisher (OT)
14) Zach Frazier (IOL - possibly C only)
15) Patrick Paul (OT)