• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar Jackson, the Cincinnati Bengals, and the Walt Coleman

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I find it funny that several of you consistently hate on Urban, including numerous times yesterday, yet @Filmstudy listed him as one of his 3 defensive stars for yesterday’s game, and he was consistently in on run stops and had a couple pressures as well. Just shows how little some people understand what they’re watching.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I find it funny that several of you consistently hate on Urban, including numerous times yesterday, yet @Filmstudy listed him as one of his 3 defensive stars for yesterday’s game, and he was consistently in on run stops and had a couple pressures as well. Just shows how little some people understand what they’re watching.

i remember watching one snap where i was sure he jumped because he was that quick off the ball - he literally had the OL 2 yards in the backfield by the time dalton got the ball in his hands off the shotgun snap

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

Its the Jimmy Smith effect. Jimmy basically didn't get targeted yesterday that I saw (except for 1 15-20 yard completion) so fans never see him making plays just existing.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
https://twitter.com/mattwaldman/status/1064344064806539271?s=21

Let’s give Lamar a pocket and we’ll see him make big plays with his arm

He’s already making his own pocket

Impressive here - he gets through 3 reads before the pocket breaks down
He’s getting through the reads more than Joe because he is extending the play with his feet , something Joe can’t do .
I have little doubt Joe would have been sacked 3-4 more times and fumbled if he played .

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree, the stretch simply doesn’t work anymore, front sevens have gotten so athletic that you can’t turn the corner on a stretch and guys are just so caught up to how to defend the stretch now that the backside is always contained. The shanahan tree has begun to run its course at least as far as the stretch goes.

I’m all on board with romans scheme, we just need a better C who doesn’t get bulled in the backfield every time we wanna pull a blocker
It worked only four years ago. Let's not talk about his scheme as if it's decades old. It got us to the playoffs and two separate multiscore leads against the Pats.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
It worked only four years ago. Let's not talk about his scheme as if it's decades old. It got us to the playoffs and two separate multiscore leads against the Pats.
That’s not the point I think he was making but maybe I’m wrong. The NFL made the chop block that the Kubiak System used quite a bit illegal after he left us. I feel like that affected his scheme somewhat. How was the Denver OL when he left us? Serious question as I forget

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have little doubt that we would have lost to Cincy with Joe as QB, particularly being hurt.

The problem with Lamar as a rookie is if we get down 17-3 ,can he use his arm to bring us back with limited time left?

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have little doubt that we would have lost to Cincy with Joe as QB, particularly being hurt.

The problem with Lamar as a rookie is if we get down 17-3 ,can he use his arm to bring us back with limited time left?
Not comparing him to Tom Brady here but didn’t people say the same about him? That he couldn’t throw deep? Maybe the deep throws aren’t a big deal as long as they can tear it up intermediate and short? Not saying that’s ideal just saying maybe it can be mitigated but he does need to show he can kill you deep too. I’m sure Brown wants him to prove it if Brown wants to come back next year if Joe is gone.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not comparing him to Tom Brady here but didn’t people say the same about him? That he couldn’t throw deep? Maybe the deep throws aren’t a big deal as long as they can tear it up intermediate and short? Not saying that’s ideal just saying maybe it can be mitigated but he does need to show he can kill you deep too. I’m sure Brown wants him to prove it if Brown wants to come back next year if Joe is gone.
I hope he takes a couple of deep shots against Oakland. You know they will be keying on the run and short passing game.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

do you have any confidence joe could based on the showings of the last few seasons - what was the last big deficit we came from behind to win from?

hell when was our last offensive game winning drive?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the nfl has changed that quickly though
you cant make the same blocks in the run game you could before...
you cant hit the qb in the same way you could before...
there is an even larger emphasis on offensive play due to slight rule change emphases like with contact downfield...
offensive schemes and gameplans have developed to a crazy degree since sean mcvay became a HC, andy reid completely rewired his offensive scheme and young qbs have developed - since 2017 the nfl has changed completely

so yes it was only 4 years ago - but it really is functionally a long long time ago in terms of evolution of the nfl

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
do you have any confidence joe could based on the showings of the last few seasons - what was the last big deficit we came from behind to win from?

hell when was our last offensive game winning drive?
2016 against the Jags (FG) or TD in 2015 kick six against the browns. this hurts and also shows Marty's/Flaccos shortcomings. ugh.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
2016 against the Jags (FG) or TD in 2015 kick six against the browns. this hurts and also shows Marty's/Flaccos shortcomings. ugh.

which is insane... i mean 2 bad teams managed it just this weekend - the raiders and broncos both managed game winning drives in the 4pm games this sunday

if the broncos could manage it with case keenum at qb against the chargers then why cant we do it in the last 2 seasons...?