• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ed Reed

Will Ed Reed be a first ballot HOF inductee?

• Yes, no doubt.

Votes: 37 100.0%
  • No, he doesn’t want to risk having to share the stage with scum bag Ward.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, his induction will be deferred by the voters.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tank

Hall of Famer
I was at this game sitting 5 rows up in the end zone where Ed finished. Epic moment.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I'm happy for Reed but man how Issac Bruce did not get in is insane. It would have been perfect with the Rams returning to the Super Bowl and he finally gets the call to the Hall. As far as the HOF game goes, I'd say Patriots vs Redskins.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Ed Reed has just broken a Streak for Safeties when it comes to the Hall of Fame. Ed Reed is the first Safety to be inducted in his first year of eligibility since 1986 when Ken Houston was inducted.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I can’t imagine there are many cases in history where a team had 1st ballot HOFs two years in a row
I hope they don’t break the trend. While it’s cool to be in the HOF game, it’s really not a good thing to have to play the extra pre season game, especially having to travel to do so.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I cannot imagine anyone supplanting Reed as my all time favorite Raven. Beyond his incredible skill he just had a personality like no other. He was an absolute joy to watch.

Any discussion around whether he was 1st ballot was silliness. To not induct him this year would have been criminal. He was hands down the most electrifying defensive player of his generation

Congrats Ed!!
Absolute joy to watch or nightmare, depending on who you were rooting for. He was the real 12th man, and 13th, 14th and 15th, for that matter.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I hope they don’t break the trend. While it’s cool to be in the HOF game, it’s really not a good thing to have to play the extra pre season game, especially having to travel to do so.

I think it helped us this year - it made the training camp less intense because it was spread out longer with more breaks
it gave us extra time to do everything while not physically expending any extra energy or anything + we got an extra game for those fringe players to make an impact

rossihunter2

Staff Member
51272886_10100607281512573_6158530464450609152_n.jpg

this is the play that bellichick and brady talk about in that famous youtube clip of them talking about reed

unbelievable

Tank

Hall of Famer
I think it helped us this year - it made the training camp less intense because it was spread out longer with more breaks
it gave us extra time to do everything while not physically expending any extra energy or anything + we got an extra game for those fringe players to make an impact
While there may be some small advantage I’m sure the vets hate coming to camp a week earlier. And I think the consensus is that 4 pre season games alone are way too many. The risk of injuries in meaningless games doesn’t make sense as it seems coaches feel they don’t really need game action to evaluate players. Playing an extra one just piles on to the concerns. The only reason they haven’t cut to two is $.

Regardless, I’d be very surprised to see the Ravens play in the HOF game two years in a row.

Tank

Hall of Famer
This video is 10 minutes long and captures only a small portion of Ed’s career highlights. This is one GOAT discussion that is not debatable.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
While there may be some small advantage I’m sure the vets hate coming to camp a week earlier. And I think the consensus is that 4 pre season games alone are way too many. The risk of injuries in meaningless games doesn’t make sense as it seems coaches feel they don’t really need game action to evaluate players. Playing an extra one just piles on to the concerns. The only reason they haven’t cut to two is $.

Regardless, I’d be very surprised to see the Ravens play in the HOF game two years in a row.
Although I agree that four is too many preseason games, but only when referring to veterans. The rookies need the gametime experience and if you cut a game, they won’t have that last game that is extremely important for those borderline players.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Although I agree that four is too many preseason games, but only when referring to veterans. The rookies need the gametime experience and if you cut a game, they won’t have that last game that is extremely important for those borderline players.
Having more pre season games for the benefit of a handful of players really doesn’t make sense and the coaches can well decide on borderline players without playing meaningless games. Pretty sure the only reason they still play 4 is because the owners don’t want to give up the revenue.

Considering the emphasis being placed on player safety and improving the quality of play it would seem changes to pre season are inevitable. I think they most likely go to two games and maybe look at adding another bye week to the schedule.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Having more pre season games for the benefit of a handful of players really doesn’t make sense and the coaches can well decide on borderline players without playing meaningless games. Pretty sure the only reason they still play 4 is because the owners don’t want to give up the revenue.

Considering the emphasis being placed on player safety and improving the quality of play it would seem changes to pre season are inevitable. I think they most likely go to two games and maybe look at adding another bye week to the schedule.

the vets dont end up with extra snaps though - i mean they come to training camp a week earlier sure - but they also get more time off during camp

this last year the vets played the exact same amount as previous years but it was spread over 5 games and the rookies and guys lower down on the roster got more snaps as a result over 5 games

im not really interested in the extra game though - (albeit its a little different now that our starting qb might actually play in pre-season more than flacco did because every snap helps), im more interested in having training camp spread out more

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Itts not the 4th game they should give up but the 1st. Starters used to play one drive but now they sitting most of the time. So eliminate it. The 4th game is needed imo cuz these players have practiced and worked hard all offseason so they should have at least a showcase game to show their talents plus 2 weeks rest are given to the regulars.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Itts not the 4th game they should give up but the 1st. Starters used to play one drive but now they sitting most of the time. So eliminate it. The 4th game is needed imo cuz these players have practiced and worked hard all offseason so they should have at least a showcase game to show their talents plus 2 weeks rest are given to the regulars.

it doesnt matter which game they eliminate lol

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That’s the point, they need this game, but If they were to eliminate a game it would end up hurting the borderline players, because it would be the 4th game that is eliminated. They would need time for the vets in all three games and they would play more in these games since we wouldn’t have a 4th game. If you are saying to eliminate game 1, then the vets would play more in games 2 and 3, without having a game for for the rookies and borderline players.

What I’m saying is that the vets would play the same amount of snaps in less games, but the borderline players and younger players wouldn’t have the time that is needed, like they do in game four.