• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: vs. Detroit

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Anyone watch Monken's press conference? The insinuation was pretty strongly that we are executing poorly in the second half.
I always believed that it wasn't JUST playcalling being the issue.

Couple of examples:

-First possession against the Titans. 1st down was a screen to Hill that instantly got snuffed out and a loss of 3. 2nd down was a run for basically limited gain. 3rd down was a failure of conversion. I know it's one drive but still.

-Browns game. Once Moses went down, the OL just fucking collapsed. We couldn't run for shit. Lamar didn't have any time to go through progressions before getting almost immediately pressured or sacked.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I'd have to go back and find the clip, but I remember on the ManningCast I think last year Peyton was mocking people who think that teams make significant "halftime adjustments". He basically said in his entire career they never really made any "adjustments", because there wasn't time to do so. Halftime in the NFL is like 12 minutes total. That gives players a total of like 8-10 minutes to actually "rest". He said they're basically just catching a breather, sometimes swapping out uniforms if needed, etc. There was basically no like lengthy conversation of "hey X, Y, Z schemes aren't working, lets do A, B, C instead".

I think coaches have the ability to make some of those adjustments, but its often much more focused on adjusting to gameflow, situations, etc. Like if you're down 14 at halftime, probably have to modify the strategy of "lets run the ball 30 times a half".

Long way of saying I think players would tell you "halftime adjustments" are overrated and occur a lot less than the public thinks.
It doesnt have to be a conversation about the schemes that dont work, that should just come naturally and the coaches should just know not run them anymore.. i think they do make adjustments in way simpler forms though that doesnt really involve a lot of the players..

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I think halftime adjustments are simply happening in the minds of the coordinators and gets reflected potentially in the play calling. The players know their job when the plays are called. But yeah there's simply no way to have a lengthy discussion and or conversation with 53 guys in 12 mins.
Agreed

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Jonah Jackson being out has been huge for Detroit. His replacement was a clear weak link against Tampa. Had issues in one on one and passing off stunts. If you want to pressure Goff (which you should) this is your path.

melvin2345

Practice Squad
Jonah Jackson being out has been huge for Detroit. His replacement was a clear weak link against Tampa. Had issues in one on one and passing off stunts. If you want to pressure Goff (which you should) this is your path.
Ah, you mean Kayode Awosika. Trust, even Lions fans were like, "who?"
Curious if they will move around Vaitai or Glasgow or roll with the same lineup as against the Bucs.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Ah, you mean Kayode Awosika. Trust, even Lions fans were like, "who?"
Curious if they will move around Vaitai or Glasgow or roll with the same lineup as against the Bucs.
Yeah that's the one. For a backup he wasn't horrible, but compared to the other 4 it's gonna stand out. Plus there won't be a tougher assignment than the Bucs IDL.

Simba

Staff Member
Marcus Williams and Kevon Seymour the only guys missing practice and most likely out on Sunday.

Oweh is probably the only other big question mark, but he did put in a full practice yesterday. So maybe there’s room for him to be active on a snap count.

Otherwise, a S is going to be added (probably DHC). Not seeing any other real needs from the PS.

Last edited:

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
Marcus Williams and Kevin Seymour the only guys missing practice and most likely out on Sunday.

Oweh is probably the only other big question mark, but he did put in a full practice yesterday. So maybe there’s room for him to be active on a snap count.

Otherwise, a S is going to be added (probably DHC). Not seeing any other real needs from the PS.
damn didn't Williams just come back?

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Holy shit have Lions fans gotten cocky. Wow I want to win this game even more now.

They think Lamar is overrated, lol Goff is great at overthrowing wide open TDs in the super bowl and not scoring over 10 points

Tank

Hall of Famer
This is obviously the toughest test so far for the D, curious to see if they can continue the great play.
Hopefully another week means the offense will be more efficient and consistent in execution. It’s likely to be another close game and they can’t afford the dumb mistakes in crunch time.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just hope the offense doesn't get worse overtime like it has been. You need to close out strong to beat the current Lions team.