• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Nightmare, the Turnovers and the Season's Over

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
1706990015611.jpeg

Go to the left ;(

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I keep thinking about this game, I know this thread will and should die out soon. For as good as the defense played, they failed to set the tone right away, and they failed to get us the ball back one last time.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I keep thinking about this game, I know this thread will and should die out soon. For as good as the defense played, they failed to set the tone right away, and they failed to get us the ball back one last time.
And although the first part should not have been a big deal, it unfortunately set the entire tone of the game.

They eventually got their shit together, the offence did not.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Chargers ,Titans ,Bills and Chiefs have all beat us now in the playoffs during the Lamar era .

This is not a good look for Lamar and Harbaugh and I’m not sure how they figure out how to finish the job .

This team was the most balanced Ravens team in our history and I believe it was better than the Flacco led team that won the Super Bowl

I have seen enough losses in the playoffs now that I will not be getting my hopes up that we can turn the corner .

I was talking to a Bills fan yesterday and I guess we are currently in the same boat with Allen and Lamar not being able to get over the hump .

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

And although the first part should not have been a big deal, it unfortunately set the entire tone of the game.
Just stop it. They gave 17 points. How much more tone do you want set?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Just stop it. They gave 17 points. How much more tone do you want set?
What do you mean? This isn't even debatable. Over the course of 60 minutes they played great. They limited Mahomes to less than 20 points. However, in the first quarter they played pretty bad. As I said before, that really shouldn't matter. But them having a bad first quarter caused one of the worst offensive mentality meltdowns we've seen in awhile. They didn't set the tone early and we spooked ourselves. Worst of all is they came out in the second half and certainly set the tone. And we couldn't even use that to recover on offense.

What do you mean? This isn't even debatable. Over the course of 60 minutes they played great. They limited Mahomes to less than 20 points. However, in the first quarter they played pretty bad. As I said before, that really shouldn't matter. But them having a bad first quarter caused one of the worst offensive mentality meltdowns we've seen in awhile. They didn't set the tone early and we spooked ourselves. Worst of all is they came out in the second half and certainly set the tone. And we couldn't even use that to recover on offense.

Talk about gas lighting, its the defences fault the offence couldn't score more than 10 points because they let them score a couple of tds to a future hof qb & te. It's all on the coaching and offences lack of execution.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Talk about gas lighting, its the defences fault the offence couldn't score more than 10 points because they let them score a couple of tds to a future hof qb & te. It's all on the coaching and offences lack of execution.
Am i on crazy pills right now? I'm literally only repeating exactly what happened and what the HC said.

The defense gives up a bunch points 1st quarter.

John Harbaugh damn close paraphrasing: (Believe it or not the run game was a big part of our game plan. But we got down early and spen the second and 4th quarters entirely in our 2 minute offense. That's gonna limit rushing attempts.)

This implies maybe there was room to run in the 3rd quarter. John also said (if we wanted to commit to it, we could've but we would've had to get into heavy formations. And given that we were down we wanted to retain the ability to use spread the offense. That's why we didn't)

Defense gave up points early. This caused, because our coaching staff is mentally weak, us to throw out the intended gameplan and go gunslinger for the next 3 quarters. Literally none of this is debatable.

Crazy I'm getting yelled at for not even sharing an opinion but the statement of the HC on what happened lmao.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Offense did not go into funk after 0-7. They ran some, threw some and quickly got to 7-7.

I repeat, it has nothing to do with what our D did or did not do at the time. It's all on offensive game plan and JH giving his blessing to do it that way.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Offense did not go into funk after 0-7. They ran some, threw some and quickly got to 7-7.

I repeat, it has nothing to do with what our D did or did not do at the time. It's all on offensive game plan and JH giving his blessing to do it that way.
I have no passion left to discuss anymore.

You're right!

Am i on crazy pills right now? I'm literally only repeating exactly what happened and what the HC said.

The defense gives up a bunch points 1st quarter.

John Harbaugh damn close paraphrasing: (Believe it or not the run game was a big part of our game plan. But we got down early and spen the second and 4th quarters entirely in our 2 minute offense. That's gonna limit rushing attempts.)

This implies maybe there was room to run in the 3rd quarter. John also said (if we wanted to commit to it, we could've but we would've had to get into heavy formations. And given that we were down we wanted to retain the ability to use spread the offense. That's why we didn't)

Defense gave up points early. This caused, because our coaching staff is mentally weak, us to throw out the intended gameplan and go gunslinger for the next 3 quarters. Literally none of this is debatable.

Crazy I'm getting yelled at for not even sharing an opinion but the statement of the HC on what happened lmao.
Well firstly no one is yelling at you and secondly that read as your opinion rather than the HC statement. Now if the HC said the whole reason they threw the game plan out the window was because they fell behind by 10 points that’s just further indictment on the coaching and offensive failure.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Well firstly no one is yelling at you and secondly that read as your opinion rather than the HC statement. Now if the HC said the whole reason they threw the game plan out the window was because they fell behind by 10 points that’s just further indictment on the coaching and offensive failure.
It's fine.

That is what he said.

And literally what you just said has been my point for days. I said this HC and OC were unbelievably mentally weak. So much so, that imo Monken probably cannot be trusted to win you the biggest games. But I also got yelled at for that take too.

Regardless under John and multiple OCs we've seen that in big games, we consistently get beat up on the OL, get down some points, ask Lamar to be a hero and come up short. Very often, the moment the going gets tough, Lamar's teammates on offense let him down by dropping passes and fumbling. Then he inevitably forces something into sacks and a pick. What the offense and OC plus head coaching did out there was shameful.

The defense and DC did not deserve full panic chaos from being down 10 points.

Tank

Hall of Famer
What is missing in the "game plan" discussion is that while he didn't dwell on it, Harbaugh said in the presser that there were instances where first half play decisions(run, pass) were being made at the LOS according to what Lamar saw.

Whatever they were doing in the second half was working well enough to win the game as the D had clamped down and was playing lights out. The offense was moving the ball down the field but then would just shoot themselves in the foot. The loss simply boils down to turnovers, poor execution and poor decisions on offense.

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
The Chargers ,Titans ,Bills and Chiefs have all beat us now in the playoffs during the Lamar era .

This is not a good look for Lamar and Harbaugh and I’m not sure how they figure out how to finish the job .

This team was the most balanced Ravens team in our history and I believe it was better than the Flacco led team that won the Super Bowl

I have seen enough losses in the playoffs now that I will not be getting my hopes up that we can turn the corner .

I was talking to a Bills fan yesterday and I guess we are currently in the same boat with Allen and Lamar not being able to get over the hump .
The big difference, at least this year, was that the Bills squad was decimated with injuries and even though Allen played a great game they were just out manned. Pretty much the exact opposite scenario for the Ravens; we were as healthy as ever, but for whatever reason Lamar had a poor game.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
It's fine.

That is what he said.

And literally what you just said has been my point for days. I said this HC and OC were unbelievably mentally weak. So much so, that imo Monken probably cannot be trusted to win you the biggest games. But I also got yelled at for that take too.

Regardless under John and multiple OCs we've seen that in big games, we consistently get beat up on the OL, get down some points, ask Lamar to be a hero and come up short. Very often, the moment the going gets tough, Lamar's teammates on offense let him down by dropping passes and fumbling. Then he inevitably forces something into sacks and a pick. What the offense and OC plus head coaching did out there was shameful.

The defense and DC did not deserve full panic chaos from being down 10 points.
I think you make a lot of good points regarding coaching. Regarding Harbaugh, I've never felt the game was too big for him but rather too fast for him. He does best in a slower ground and pound use of the clock as well as personnel. That's the identity he's formed there. Ravens aren't built for a shootout.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Well, I'm glad that it is finally out there and being said.

For as much as we front smash-mouth football, especially on OFF, we are poseurs in that respect. The biggest reason we've lost important Playoff games in the Lamar era is that we face off with a team that decides to man-handle our OFF. We allow DEF's to dictate our play because they come in an exert their will and game plan on us. Which in no small part includes a lot of hard talking and hitting. That is a systematic weakness, imo. It is a weakness of both the coaching staff and the players - especially on the OFF. The Personal Fouls are indicative of this.

In the Ray Lewis era, I can't really remember many instances when we lost important games because we beat ourselves by allowing another team to completely dictate the game. Errors like dropped passes and missed FG's happen. They are not the same - despite being heartbreaking - as total stalls like we've witnessed with Lamar teams. Sure we had some dumb penalties too back then from time to time, but I always felt even then we were beaten despite playing well. And that's just how it goes sometimes in sport, you get beaten eventho you played hard or near your best. But in at least two Playoff instances with the Lamar era Ravens, I feel we beat ourselves because we faced teams who simply dominated us with toughness, maybe even more so with their game play. THAT is not a good look and it makes the whole, Play Like a Raven, thing sort of a sham to me at this point.

The honest truth, for me: is this was our year. Our year to shake off all the Lamar isn't a QB, he can't win a big game, etc. and elevate this team to where we all know we should be thought of - - -on par with the Chefs and Bills, especially. But instead, it is back to the drawing board again; and sadly, this time, with those same issues we went into these Playoffs hearing about Lamar, being amplified now.

For better or worse, these criticisms are something Lamar is - hopefully with the assistance of a coaching staff who can adapt when something doesn't work, either for him or in the game plan - going to have to prove isn't true to escape it. Problem is, the fucking egg this OFF laid in a home AFC Championship game does nothing but reinforce the media's ideas of Lamar's shortcomings. The pressure to overcome that perception is going to be huge, at least as huge as Playoff football pressure. I worry. Anything short of a Super Bowl victory with Lamar as the leader is going to keep this fire stoked. I hope he's ready for the additional pressure. It's not going anywhere.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor

Pick routes, shoves after the play, no catch and OPI all not called. But they did show Taylor swift a bunch.

Kyle Hamilton is a great player

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Don’t go after U Penn go after me, I’m the one that said it. And it’s true, as U Penn is stating in the state of the Ravens press conference Harbaugh said the long drives KC had to start made them abandon their gameplan.