• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Nightmare, the Turnovers and the Season's Over

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Don’t go after U Penn go after me, I’m the one that said it. And it’s true, as U Penn is stating in the state of the Ravens press conference Harbaugh said the long drives KC had to start made them abandon their gameplan.
I didn't watch the press conference. If it's true he said that it's a horrible window into the his mind and the OFF staff.

They worked probably two weeks or more on plans to face their likely matchups. Solidifying their best plans in the several days before the actual game. If all of that work can be erased by the performance of a competitor on one possession it's not only shocking but scary. Furthermore, it sends the message to everyone we face that if you stick it to us for a while and get us out of our game WE will throw all planning out the window and start throwing random shit at the wall. Message: disrupt us and we're off our game. THAT is a horrendous fucking admission!

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I didn't watch the press conference. If it's true he said that it's a horrible window into the his mind and the OFF staff.

They worked probably two weeks or more on plans to face their likely matchups. Solidifying their best plans in the several days before the actual game. If all of that work can be erased by the performance of a competitor on one possession it's not only shocking but scary. Furthermore, it sends the message to everyone we face that if you stick it to us for a while and get us out of our game WE will throw all planning out the window and start throwing random shit at the wall. Message: disrupt us and we're off our game. THAT is a horrendous fucking admission!
It is what he said unfortunately. Additionally, Sarah Ellison had a thread on Twitter showing that in basically all of our playoff losses, this same idea has been brought up by the media. And each and every time Harbaugh has said the same thing. What happened out there wasn't our game plan and it's just how the game went.

It just so happens that this press conference he was a little more free flowing with info describing the thought process of using heavy formations vs maintaining the ability to utilize the spread and other ideas.

It's just been an unfortunate theme in our recent history.

We were better than the titans.
We were better than the bills
We were better than the chiefs

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
And just for the record, I don't think the offensive execution is without fault. They are additionally plenty to blame. I just haven't dwelled on them as I thought it was obvious.

Agholor drop on 3rd down 1st drive.
Ronnie Stanley leading to strip sack when Bateman has an easy TD.
Flowers taunting
Flowers fumble
Lamar bad pick

The list goes on. I've just been thinking personally, that the mentality of the coaching staff did not put the players in the best position to win at all and SOME of the execution errors are because of that. i.e putting the Chiefs defense in an advantage because we are one dimensional. Also playing to the Chiefs defenses strengths and avoiding their weaknesses.

Lamar deserves better too. The first Flowers TD tells you all you need to know about this team in big moments. It's Lamar save us

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
And just for the record, I don't think the offensive execution is without fault. They are additionally plenty to blame. I just haven't dwelled on them as I thought it was obvious.

Flowers taunting
Flowers fumble
Lamar bad pick

The list goes on. I've just been thinking personally, that the mentality of the coaching staff did not put the players in the best position to win at all and SOME of the execution errors are because of that. i.e putting the Chiefs defense in an advantage because we are one dimensional. Also playing to the Chiefs defenses strengths and avoiding their weaknesses.

Lamar deserves better too. The first Flowers TD tells you all you need to know about this team in big moments. It's Lamar save us

Been pounding the table on this now for a few years.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Mahomes made a great play beating Stanley to strip sack Lamar. Then he made an even more clutch play to strip Flowers after it looked like momentum could switch. Then to seal deal Mahomes made a great interception . Damn he’s so good

When a team wins it's always bc of the QB.

CRAZY how that works

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler

Flowers taunting
Flowers fumble
Lamar bad pick

So for me, I count the pick and and the taunting as almost unforgivable in the circumstances where they occurred, so I agree with you there. The others, altho upsetting, happen and are part of the game. You don't catch every pass and you don't win every battle, so I can let those others go.

But to the idea we are one-dimensional in the Playoffs: it's not because we actually are one-dimensional, it's because we become one-dimensional because of the abandonment of game plans. I mean, we were easily the most dynamic OFF in the league this year. Exploiting our strong run game, intermediate, short passing game, and then the downfield targets with Flowers, specifically. So I'm still uncertain as to why, if the coaches thought we were being dominated out of our run game why only one of the other two areas was used after abandoning the game plan. And it's not like it's the first time. All of our losses this year came when we stalled and turned to asking Lamar to try to get the ball downfield in passing. Of the three areas, I would argue that is the weakest, but not because we can't do it, but because that part of our game requires the other two areas working in part for us to be successful with it. In other words, the running game and short passes open the long game. Well, duh.

Yet because we didn't run well on the first possession, the whole game plan turns to 10 plus yard passing plays with 4 WR's going into the coverage of 7 DEF players. What? And that went on for the rest of the game with only random success and few attempts to get the TE's out of blocking or RB's out into the flat over the DEF rushers. Inexplicable.

It just leaves me shaking my head. I sat quietly the whole game waiting for a couple completions to a TE or RB 5-6 yards from the LOS. Nothing. Just two or three completions like that pulls a LB or two back from that front end of deep zone coverage they were roaming in all game. That brings the numbers on the deep balls to 4 WR's against either 5 or 6 DEF and you'd hope we could win on a single coverage a couple times. I have to believe Lamar could find the guy in single coverage. But alas, no. They mostly stayed with both the TE and RB/FB on the line providing extra blockers and they were consistently beaten with 4 men. That's 7 being dominated by 4 guys. I'm just shocked that the HC and OFF kept thinking, "It's gotta work eventually." No answer and down we went.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
So for me, I count the pick and and the taunting as almost unforgivable in the circumstances where they occurred, so I agree with you there. The others, altho upsetting, happen and are part of the game. You don't catch every pass and you don't win every battle, so I can let those others go.

But to the idea we are one-dimensional in the Playoffs: it's not because we actually are one-dimensional, it's because we become one-dimensional because of the abandonment of game plans. I mean, we were easily the most dynamic OFF in the league this year. Exploiting our strong run game, intermediate, short passing game, and then the downfield targets with Flowers, specifically. So I'm still uncertain as to why, if the coaches thought we were being dominated out of our run game why only one of the other two areas was used after abandoning the game plan. And it's not like it's the first time. All of our losses this year came when we stalled and turned to asking Lamar to try to get the ball downfield in passing. Of the three areas, I would argue that is the weakest, but not because we can't do it, but because that part of our game requires the other two areas working in part for us to be successful with it. In other words, the running game and short passes open the long game. Well, duh.

Yet because we didn't run well on the first possession, the whole game plan turns to 10 plus yard passing plays with 4 WR's going into the coverage of 7 DEF players. What? And that went on for the rest of the game with only random success and few attempts to get the TE's out of blocking or RB's out into the flat over the DEF rushers. Inexplicable.

It just leaves me shaking my head. I sat quietly the whole game waiting for a couple completions to a TE or RB 5-6 yards from the LOS. Nothing. Just two or three completions like that pulls a LB or two back from that front end of deep zone coverage they were roaming in all game. That brings the numbers on the deep balls to 4 WR's against either 5 or 6 DEF and you'd hope we could win on a single coverage a couple times. I have to believe Lamar could find the guy in single coverage. But alas, no. They mostly stayed with both the TE and RB/FB on the line providing extra blockers and they were consistently beaten with 4 men. That's 7 being dominated by 4 guys. I'm just shocked that the HC and OFF kept thinking, "It's gotta work eventually." No answer and down we went.

My issues begin with the coaching this game.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
My issues begin with the coaching this game.
It's beginning to look like: The issues begin AND end with the coaching.

...something I unabashedly point out I've been saying since Lamar came in for Joe. Lamar is electric. He's needed someone similarly as electric in the ideas and preparation for the game since we hitched our wagon to him. Yet we've been stuck with John. Imagine Lamar with Andy Reid or if Kyle Shanahan got his hands on him. Nothing is going to change until John is thanked for all he's done and shown the door. I'm absolutely convinced of that.

GodIsGreat

Veteran
If the ravens hire me I can make the roster better
IMG_0230.jpeg
IMG_0229.jpeg

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

I agree with all of this

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar didn’t throw 4 INTs and have 2 of them called back and his only good plays be underthrown jump balls into double coverage. When do the articles get written about that guy. Allen, Burrow and Lamar have all fallen short and are still chasing that first ring, but you wouldn’t know that based on discourse, only one has All pro’s and MVPs

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Imagine Lamar with Andy Reid or if Kyle Shanahan got his hands on him. Nothing is going to change until John is thanked for all he's done and shown the door. I'm absolutely convinced of that.
It would have to take a catastrophic meltdown of a season for this to happen. He’d be given a pass for injuries but not for losing the locker room. He’s way too close to Steve and EDC and we always preach continuity. But I want to see Lamar work with a brilliant offensive-minded coach before it’s too late. I’m not even firmly on the fire Harbaugh bandwagon yet but I’m getting close. He’s been out-coached in the playoffs for far too long