• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Nightmare, the Turnovers and the Season's Over

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Going into the game, my biggest personal points of emphasis were the following. I thought we'd need Brandon Stephens and John Simpson to get past their recent struggles. I thought if Stephens finished the game with 6+ catches allowed, it would have spelled trouble for our attempts to contain Travis Kelce and Rashee Rice. I hoped we'd need mint performances from our true-edges Jadeveon Clowney and Odafe Oweh against the OTs, with immediate wins, and that our crowd noise could force Jawaan Taylor into possibly multiple false starts. It was a shaky start out of the game, with Simpson shed by Leo Chenal to force a 1 yard gain. Stephens would concede a catches of 10 and 13 on the following drive, including on a 4th and 2, with Clowney netting an unblocked pressure from the backside.

Collectively, for the sake of the POEs, the first half went arguably as poorly as it could. Some absolutely turned positively. Stephens fared noticeably better in the 2nd half when we switched to more man coverage. Taylor was forced into a holding call. Sadly, it was the only one of the contest, with 0 pre-snap penalties across the board. Credit to the Chiefs for limiting us. It does feel like we beat ourselves in large part. And I can't put the entire result on the penalties, and the lack thereof. But it had to have been dissuading to be unable to set the tone with physicality not equalized. These were the clearest examples I saw live (Link and link), both on the same drive. And on their second drive after, you have the Kyle Van Noy bump that extends the drive (Link). You could argue that it was because a second player was involved. But Geno Stone flying across the screen and not drawing a penalty at least implies that they're letting players player beyond the whistle. The crew working the game was criticized days in advance, so I can't say that I'm shocked at the discrepancy. But it's still disappointing.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
"I've got another step, I feel like I could be one of the best receivers in this league. I'm not going to let one moment define me... I'm going to use that as a slingshot."
-Zay Flowers
He will be, I expect him to get stronger physically too this off season. We need to get another WR however

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Would we rather be 10-7, have no one picking us next year then we go on the road and win it all? Is that what this team needs? I just cannot get over how dominate these 2019 and 2023 seasons were that ended in failure

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
It was never going to be through the air my brother. Ried's game plan was to make him a 'pocket-passer' which would limit Lamar's abilities.
Just heard 16 rush attempts is the lowest in 6 years, they had 16 twice with Lamar

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I agree that flowers should have just went down instead of trying to score, but atleast that turnover was KC making a good play. The missed PI on Likely, while being a questionable decision, was an inexcusable no call by the refs
no he shouldn't have just gone down. If he did that he would be Hollywood Brown. He could have stayed on his feet and atleast got a first down and maybe the momentum would have brought him in the end zone but holding the ball securely

Tank

Hall of Famer
Yeah, OBJ is toast and I don’t think Bateman is ever going to be more than a #3 or 4.
While it was a popular signing, OBJ returned the least dividends of any FA we picked up last year.

Random comment……I could have gone through the TV when OBJ had a short catch for a first down in the 4th and did his little celebration. I mean your down by 10 points, give the ref the ball and get yo ass ready for the next play, it ain’t about you at that point.

Last edited:

CanadianRavensFan

Practice Squad
no he shouldn't have just gone down. If he did that he would be Hollywood Brown. He could have stayed on his feet and atleast got a first down and maybe the momentum would have brought him in the end zone but holding the ball securely
I meant that he should have gone down after the first. Protecting the ball there is in my opinion more important than trying to score, since we would of had 1st & goal from inside the five if he had gone down just after he got past the sticks instead of trying to score

Tank

Hall of Famer
Gotta be aware of where the defender is and wrap up. He’ll learn from that play and be better for it.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
This isn’t sour grapes, I honestly think Mahomes is overrated, second time he’s scored 0 in a championship game second half. Bailed out by Kelce in this game

I agree that flowers should have just went down instead of trying to score, but atleast that turnover was KC making a good play. The missed PI on Likely, while being a questionable decision, was an inexcusable no call by the refs
TBH I don’t blame Flowers for trying to score on that play. He was there and it really wasn’t a fumble. It was a hell of a play by Snead, or really lucky. He knocked the ball loose.

Flowers lost his composure on the taunting penalty. That’s where he needs to grow and learn to keep his emotions in check.

Tank

Hall of Famer
TBH I don’t blame Flowers for trying to score on that play. He was there and it really wasn’t a fumble. It was a hell of a play by Snead, or really lucky. He knocked the ball loose.

Flowers lost his composure on the taunting penalty. That’s where he needs to grow and learn to keep his emotions in check.
Definitely try to score there, but have both arms wrapped around the ball.

CanadianRavensFan

Practice Squad

Oh I don't really fault him for it. I get why he tried to score on the play and I think he probably scores 7/10 times. I just would have preferred for him to go down after the first so that we'd have the fresh set of downs and the ball inside the 5. Protecting the ball there should have been our first priority

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

I meant that he should have gone down after the first. Protecting the ball there is in my opinion more important than trying to score, since we would of had 1st & goal from inside the five if he had gone down just after he got past the sticks instead of trying to score

But you're so close and you don't need both feet in the end zone, just a tip of the football to lick the line.

I don't think I'd ever be able to resist, no matter how much experience I have. What if I make that 1st down and Gus fumbles on next play or Lamar throws a pick? It would kill me knowing I was so close and I didn't try.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
But you're so close and you don't need both feet in the end zone, just a tip of the football to lick the line.

I don't think I'd ever be able to resist, no matter how much experience I have. What if I make that 1st down and Gus fumbles on next play or Lamar throws a pick? It would kill me knowing I was so close and I didn't try.
Knowing our luck that is what would have happened. We are to the point where I can’t even rewatch the 2000 and 2012 Super Bowls to comfort me, I need something new. Damn this team

CanadianRavensFan

Practice Squad

I don't really fault him for trying to score, he is young and tried to make a play, BUT I think that going down after the first and living to play another down is better than going for broke