• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2024 Offseason Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I still believe in Bateman.

Call me crazy. But….

View attachment 6376
If he’s healthy I think he shows up big time this year. I think Roman had zero plans for Bateman, injuries were happening, flowers came in as a rookie phenom, monken is still developing the playbook and rounding out some players roles, etc.

Bateman is too good of a route runner to just dwindle away as a mid receiver, he just wasn’t the X receiver we hoped he could be when we saw him SMOKING press coverage off the line, his ball tracking just isn’t really there, but give this man all the sharp breaking, quick separation routes all over the field and make an effort to get him the ball in rhythm, and I think he’s gonna start making a big impact

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If he’s healthy I think he shows up big time this year. I think Roman had zero plans for Bateman, injuries were happening, flowers came in as a rookie phenom, monken is still developing the playbook and rounding out some players roles, etc.

Bateman is too good of a route runner to just dwindle away as a mid receiver, he just wasn’t the X receiver we hoped he could be when we saw him SMOKING press coverage off the line, his ball tracking just isn’t really there, but give this man all the sharp breaking, quick separation routes all over the field and make an effort to get him the ball in rhythm, and I think he’s gonna start making a big impact
I think if he was able to practice in the 2023 offseason and build chemistry with Lamar, he would have been fine in ball tracking, but I agree it's not his strength.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

let this dude play z and slot and run more intermediate routes from the outside and i think we're cooking
he and odell were too similar with their profiles and bate didnt hit the ground running in training camp

it's also worth noting, that despite not being a fit at x necessarily, he was still consistently winning downfield, just couldnt connect with lamar on those deep shots

but let him run slants and digs, destroy a defender's leverage with the stem and use his lower body flexibility on those sharp breaking routes to win in the middle of the field where lamar loves to operate

with time and some chemistry, i also think he and lamar could be really good on timing based routes

bate was so good coming in as a rookie, wish he'd kept that number 12 jersey tbh

Last edited:
let this dude play z and slot and run more intermediate routes from the outside and i think we're cooking
he and odell were too similar with their profiles and bate didnt hit the ground running in training camp

it's also worth noting, that despite not being a fit at x necessarily, he was still consistently winning downfield, just couldnt connect with lamar on those deep shots

but let him run slants and digs, destroy a defender's leverage with the stem and use his lower body flexibility on those sharp breaking routes to win in the middle of the field where lamar loves to operate

with time and some chemistry, i also think he and lamar could be really good on timing based routes

bate was so good coming in as a rookie, wish he'd kept that number 12 jersey tbh

I honestly don’t understand the Bateman hate. Sure he’s had bad injury luck but dude is a baller. I think he still has the potential to be a number one option. I have his 12 jersey too. I liked that number. Considering buying his 7 next

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I honestly don’t understand the Bateman hate. Sure he’s had bad injury luck but dude is a baller. I think he still has the potential to be a number one option. I have his 12 jersey too. I liked that number. Considering buying his 7 next

1 of my absolute favourite 1st round picks - one of the biggest grades ive given to a guy that we've drafted

only kyle hamilton and ronnie stanley had higher grades for me than bate that we've drafted (which makes sense given the draft capital we had when we drafted them)
had a bigger grade than i gave to hollywood and lamar, bigger than queen and madubuike, and i was lower on marlon humphrey coming out

all of that to say... im still really hopeful that he becomes that guy for us - think injuries might have taken away some of that true number 1 x type ceiling but i still think there's a really high-quality NFL starting WR there - in a low volume attack id still expect low volume production this year but i really hope we look at him as a legit weapon by the end of the year

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not much to learn from OTAs so far on the OL rotation right now - mostly all you can say is that the vets are taking the 1st team reps right now and the young guys are with the 2nd team

1st team OL in most drills/pics/vids ive seen so far:
LT - Ronnie
LG - Josh Jones
C - Linderbaum
RG - Cleveland
RT - Faalele

havent been able to work out who the 2nd team C is right now but...
LT - Mekari
LG - Vorhees
RG - Sala
RT - Rosengarten

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Not much to learn from OTAs so far on the OL rotation right now - mostly all you can say is that the vets are taking the 1st team reps right now and the young guys are with the 2nd team

1st team OL in most drills/pics/vids ive seen so far:
LT - Ronnie
LG - Josh Jones
C - Linderbaum
RG - Cleveland
RT - Faalele

havent been able to work out who the 2nd team C is right now but...
LT - Mekari
LG - Vorhees
RG - Sala
RT - Rosengarten
Samac?

redrum52

Hall of Famer

I'm not worried about Bateman. Live we were able to get that deal dome as well basically locking him and Zay in together. Then add Tez as the deep guy now should open things up for everyone else.
Doesn’t sound like Keaton will be back anytime soon. Hopefully Ali turns out to be something nice, would hate to have to depend upon an erratic Hill to spell Henry.

Damn shame what happened to Keaton. Didn't expect him back for early with how late and severe the injury seemed. Would have been great to have in the playoffs and just mad we've had such terrible luck health wise at RB.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
So Todd, who calls the plays? Oh.... YOU. We could run the ball better if we TRIED to establish the run to begin with. Unless Lamar is asked if he audible out of run plays... we will never know. Just that this has happened multiple times under Harbaugh where the OC abandoned the run... so do coaches get intimidated by KC or what?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Hopefully with Lamar at OTAs and camp this year a lot of stuff will get worked out with RBs and receivers.
Lamar was at camp last year. Believe he may have missed some OTAs, but that didn't have an affect on the fumbling.