• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2024 Offseason Thread

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really hope that the team takes care of Zay this offseason

He looks like a real superstar already in year 1 and they need to stop him from going to that dark mental place

Him in year 1 already is clearly a piece to not only be optimistic about but actually build a passing game around

He's going to be fine

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe Gus didn’t consistently play at an all pro level, but he did have more than twice as many TDs as any other player on the team. Guessing that will be worth something when it comes to making a decision about his future here.

I think it's more a function of how we love to run our redzone offense. We insist on running him specifically in there.

What he does can be replicated IMO.

Simba

Staff Member
I really hope that the team takes care of Zay this offseason

He looks like a real superstar already in year 1 and they need to stop him from going to that dark mental place

Him in year 1 already is clearly a piece to not only be optimistic about but actually build a passing game around
He seems to be fine based on the videos from him talking to the media yesterday. Sucks to have to think about it all offseason but he was upfront in saying that the vets got in his ear quickly and that helped.

marklar

Pro Bowler
Where do you guys stand on the two 5th year options?
Both players are really annoying since they show a lot of promise, but neither can put it together on a constant basis. Both have had injuries every year (right?). Bateman has been the definition of inconsistent. Oweh looks to improved every year, but just can't make a "significant" play to save his life. Not sure we want to pay 12-15M without having seen more. If I had to choose one, I'd go with Oweh, but I might decline both. Can't really decide.

Simba

Staff Member
Current depth chart...

QB: Jackson, Cunningham
RB: Hill, Mitchell, Ricard (FB)
WR: Flowers, Wallace
WR: Bateman
TE: Andrews, Likely, Kolar
LT: Stanley, Mekari
LG: Aumavae-Laulu, Vorhees
C: Linderbaum
RG: Cleveland
RT: Moses, Faalele

DE: Washington
NT: Pierce, Jones
DT:
OLB: Oweh, Robinson, Bowser
ILB: Smith
ILB: Simpson
OLB: Ojabo, Hamm
CB: Humphrey, Armour-Davis, Williams
CB: Stephens, Washington
FS: Williams
SS: Hamilton

K: Tucker
P: Stout
LS: Moore

The starting lineup is generally still pretty solid across the board. So much depth needed though. Really going to need those past and even future draft picks to contribute this year. I'd also expect 2024 to be a lot like 2023 where we run low on depth and give the young guys a shot before making a move in camp if needed. Would imagine this roster looks a lot weaker in June than it does August.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Both players are really annoying since they show a lot of promise, but neither can put it together on a constant basis. Both have had injuries every year (right?). Bateman has been the definition of inconsistent. Oweh looks to improved every year, but just can't make a "significant" play to save his life. Not sure we want to pay 12-15M without having seen more. If I had to choose one, I'd go with Oweh, but I might decline both. Can't really decide.
I’m declining and moving on from both honestly. I’ve seen enough

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
We need to bring back Gus because he is the opposite of Keaton. Having 2 backs of very different styles is an important asset.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
No to both. It's a lot of money for mediocrity.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

think bate's playoff game last night cemented the fact he's not getting the 5th year option - not sure guaranteeing him 14m is worth it
if he plays well enough in year 4 that you regret not giving him the option then that's a great problem to have in a year's time

think oweh probably gets it but wouldnt be shocked if they declined it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Current depth chart...

QB: Jackson, Cunningham
RB: Hill, Mitchell, Ricard (FB)
WR: Flowers, Wallace
WR: Bateman
TE: Andrews, Likely, Kolar
LT: Stanley, Mekari
LG: Aumavae-Laulu, Vorhees
C: Linderbaum
RG: Cleveland
RT: Moses, Faalele

DE: Washington
NT: Pierce, Jones
DT:
OLB: Oweh, Robinson, Bowser
ILB: Smith
ILB: Simpson
OLB: Ojabo, Hamm
CB: Humphrey, Armour-Davis, Williams
CB: Stephens, Washington
FS: Williams
SS: Hamilton

K: Tucker
P: Stout
LS: Moore

The starting lineup is generally still pretty solid across the board. So much depth needed though. Really going to need those past and even future draft picks to contribute this year. I'd also expect 2024 to be a lot like 2023 where we run low on depth and give the young guys a shot before making a move in camp if needed. Would imagine this roster looks a lot weaker in June than it does August.

and will hopefully be all the better for it come november and beyond etc. because the young guys get a chance

it's nice that there aren't many injury questions on the roster to worry about

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Generally agree except Gus and Ya-Sin. I personally don’t have a lot of interest in retaining Gus. Ya-Sin seems like a sure walk.
Redo the rb room. I wouldn't bring Gus or Rock back. Nothing against Gus more so the cap situation.
And somehow the bengals have tons of cap space

Chase needs to be re-signed.

There's 272 games played I think so I'm already ignoring his tweet even though we all know the gameplan sucked.

In the Zay presser he said something that caught my attention about being made aware of how the refs might be in game. If you're told that why the hell didn't our guys show more poise.

Nothing this team does in the regular season will matter and they've earned the choking tag. And unfortunately there's no coaching or FA that will just flip that. There is absolutely no reason to trust these guys in the post season.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Redo the rb room. I wouldn't bring Gus or Rock back. Nothing against Gus more so the cap situation.

Chase needs to be re-signed.

There's 272 games played I think so I'm already ignoring his tweet even though we all know the gameplan sucked.

In the Zay presser he said something that caught my attention about being made aware of how the refs might be in game. If you're told that why the hell didn't our guys show more poise.

Nothing this team does in the regular season will matter and they've earned the choking tag. And unfortunately there's no coaching or FA that will just flip that. There is absolutely no reason to trust these guys in the post season.
Chase is under contract for at least two more years.
Higgins is the FA.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bateman is a "fuck no" for me. I actually think there's a decent shot we just try to trade him and salvage some value this offseason alone. He's playing elsewhere in '25 regardless.
Oweh I'd be on the fence about. I think it would make sense to exercise, but I can also see a world where if you extend Madubuike, you just really can't afford to keep Oweh at that price point in '25.

Simba

Staff Member
Bateman seems like a clear no at this point.

Oweh is more of a question mark for me. The numbers on the surface are pretty meh, but a lot of the underlying stats are really good. It leads you to believe that there's a chance he has that standard year 4 breakout that seemingly all Ravens pass rushers do. You're just taking the risk it actually happens.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I don't see a world in which Bateman has a $14M option picked up, but I don't see a world where he's not on the roster next year, even if by virtue of simply needing bodies.

He'd save $2.7M against the cap which basically buys you a Nelson Agholor level player who... had a similar stat line to Bateman.

With only three receivers currently under contract and zero receivers with experience past their rookie contract, I can't see Bateman being gone.