• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2024 Offseason Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Did any of our other guys besides Tuck go to the Pro Bowl?

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
On the topic of Derrick Henry, I'd be cautious to sign him, personally (and I say that as someone who was excited at the thought of the Ravens trading for him.)

Henry is a downhill back who does his best work with a full head of steam and buildup time. I'd worry about how effective he'd be in a scheme that asks him to only run from the shotgun (more or less) and be tasked with being at the mesh points on RPOs.

I couldn't find a stat for his effectiveness out of the shotgun, but I did find a stat that with Tannehill, Henry ran from under center looks over 80% of the time.

It's part of what makes JK Dobbins inability to stay healthy so frustrating. Coming out of Ohio State, Dobbins was the best running back in the country from RPO looks, out of shotgun, and off tackle. The man was tailor made for the Ravens offense and he just cannot stay healthy.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Also, I have no idea where to put this, but Brock Purdy has the highest rate of negative plays in the playoffs amongst quarterbacks.

I have talked A LOT about how big a part of the game luck is, but just remember this when Purdy is getting sucked off and people shit on Lamar- there's still time for Lamar.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
On the topic of Derrick Henry, I'd be cautious to sign him, personally (and I say that as someone who was excited at the thought of the Ravens trading for him.)

Henry is a downhill back who does his best work with a full head of steam and buildup time. I'd worry about how effective he'd be in a scheme that asks him to only run from the shotgun (more or less) and be tasked with being at the mesh points on RPOs.

I couldn't find a stat for his effectiveness out of the shotgun, but I did find a stat that with Tannehill, Henry ran from under center looks over 80% of the time.

It's part of what makes JK Dobbins inability to stay healthy so frustrating. Coming out of Ohio State, Dobbins was the best running back in the country from RPO looks, out of shotgun, and off tackle. The man was tailor made for the Ravens offense and he just cannot stay healthy.
While I hear your concern I have to believe he’s a great player and can manage. It’s like how Flacco immediately clicks with Steve Smith, great players will find a way

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Also, I have no idea where to put this, but Brock Purdy has the highest rate of negative plays in the playoffs amongst quarterbacks.

I have talked A LOT about how big a part of the game luck is, but just remember this when Purdy is getting sucked off and people shit on Lamar- there's still time for Lamar.
Yea, it’s annoying for the Chiefs to lose it means we’ll have to endure Purdy > Lamar talk, and I’ve seen Purdy have like 6 INTs dropped this post season, oh btw he played the lousy NFC North. It’s wild how many Lamar haters there are

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I’m wondering what Gus’s scouting report was back in 2018 but when Lamar took over they hit it off right away with the read option, I just have to imagine Henry would find a way to be successful with it

Here's just the NFL.com scouting report. I'm sure there's more out there.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Yea, it’s annoying for the Chiefs to lose it means we’ll have to endure Purdy > Lamar talk, and I’ve seen Purdy have like 6 INTs dropped this post season, oh btw he played the lousy NFC North. It’s wild how many Lamar haters there are
If lamar wouldve beaten mahommes, they wouldve said lamar>pat and we all know thats not true..

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
If lamar wouldve beaten mahommes, they wouldve said lamar>pat and we all know thats not true..
Idk if they would have said that, but they would have started putting him on that level if he won a super bowl, and that would be fair imo. Lamar is the only other QB with the MVPs Mahomes has. They may have said Lamar was better than Mahomes this year, and honestly he was, until this game unfortunately. And again if Flowers scores…fuck man.

Burrows WRs catch his underthrown deep ball into double coverage, ours fumble at the 1

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

I remember when we took him in the second round and I was surprised we went that high.

I wonder if we pick someone up early again

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I remember when we took him in the second round and I was surprised we went that high.

I wonder if we pick someone up early again
I still want him back on a cheap deal, obviously we can’t go in with him as the only option but nothing will piss off more than seeing him have a great season with a different team.