• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

John Harbaugh

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Five and a bit years after the original "Fire Harbaugh" thread (now closed), I think this as good a time to reopen this conversation. Not going to to go into accolades "for everything he's done for the organisation", we all know what he did and what he did not do. Let's start here:

I'm not saying Fire Harbaugh but Stevie Biscuits needs to ask him about his refusal to step in if one of his co-ordinators is having a meltdown.

In (almost) all of our recent playoff losses, there's been a simple and obvious adjustment that wasn't made that could have changed everything. Yet, every time, Harbs watches them fail and does nothing.

If he can't do that, there's no point in rebuilding a team for him to meekly watch them lose again.
I'd like to go a step further and actually see the change. Lamar extended Harbaugh's Raven tenure once but it's time to give our QB a coach who isn't just a spectator if things clearly aren't working. We wasted at least 2 years of Lamar's career during his rookie contract. Let's not repeat the mistake.

Simba

Staff Member
I don't think he should or will be fired, but I do think he's probably only got one more swing and miss in the playoffs like this before you really start having to question things.

He ain’t going anywhere. He’s Buscuits boy. The only HC he’s ever hired. Buscuit loves stability and he loves Harbs. But sooner or later somebody’s head is going to roll for these playoff losses. I think Harbs gets one more year. His window is closing.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
If we keep Harbaugh...... I hope 2024 is what 2007 was to Billick where everything imploded, the players quit on him and we lose to a team who should have been winless. I don't know who it is but I want some team next year to do what the 2007 Dolphins did and be the Hay in the Barn that gets Harbs fired.

Belichick is out there, right now we need discipline, something Belichick can bring. I said this on Reddit, as long as Belichick doesn't bring McDaniels or Patricia with him, I'd take him over Harbaugh. The things he would do with Lamar.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
If we keep Harbaugh...... I hope 2024 is what 2007 was to Billick where everything imploded, the players quit on him and we lose to a team who should have been winless. I don't know who it is but I want some team next year to do what the 2007 Dolphins did and be the Hay in the Barn that gets Harbs fired.

Belichick is out there, right now we need discipline, something Belichick can bring. I said this on Reddit, as long as Belichick doesn't bring McDaniels or Patricia with him, I'd take him over Harbaugh. The things he would do with Lamar.
If we're getting a new coach, I want it to be a younger guy

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

FUCK Belichick.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I think it's an interesting discussion when you consider guys like Carroll and BB this offseason.

Obviously Harbaugh has been more successful recently, but sometimes things just need a change.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know what the answer is, but it does feel like the Ravens easily gets psyched out, and rattled when things go wrong. I won't put that all on John, but a change could possibly help rebuild the mental toughness of the team.

Idk how some of you want to keep Harbaugh. This is a what have you done for me lately league and what has he done besides get Lamars MVP season one and done and bounced at Home in the AFC championship game. Again, is not that we lost, it's how we lost. Then his stupid answer of "this game didn't call for it" just makes it worse.
We can't keep excusing him because of his previous success. Look at BB previous success ans he's out of a job. It comes to a point a change is needed.Harbs has coached this team for 15 seasons. His message is stale, his excuses are lame.

We cannot keep changing coordinators. That's not the solution. We had the best talented team and to show for it we played 1 good half, just 1! Against the Texans.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Idk how some of you want to keep Harbaugh. This is a what have you done for me lately league and what has he done besides get Lamars MVP season one and done and bounced at Home in the AFC championship game. Again, is not that we lost, it's how we lost. Then his stupid answer of "this game didn't call for it" just makes it worse.
We can't keep excusing him because of his previous success. Look at BB previous success ans he's out of a job. It comes to a point a change is needed.Harbs has coached this team for 15 seasons. His message is stale, his excuses are lame.

We cannot keep changing coordinators. That's not the solution. We had the best talented team and to show for it we played 1 good half, just 1! Against the Texans.
I mean we can try and do these BB comparisons, but uh, you might want to actually do the comparison...
BB just had a 4-13 record, for starters.
In his last four seasons, he's 29-38 as a head coach in the regular season, and 0-1 in the playoffs.
In the same timeframe, which is viewed as a "bad stretch" for John, he's 42-25 as a head coach in the regular season, and 2-3 in the playoffs.

So yeah, they're not really that comparable.

I mean we can try and do these BB comparisons, but uh, you might want to actually do the comparison...
BB just had a 4-13 record, for starters.
In his last four seasons, he's 29-38 as a head coach in the regular season, and 0-1 in the playoffs.
In the same timeframe, which is viewed as a "bad stretch" for John, he's 42-25 as a head coach in the regular season, and 2-3 in the playoffs.

So yeah, they're not really that comparable.
Yeah, but why did BB have that record? The QB sucks and well the team isn't that talented. Harbs had the "best" team and still couldn't win it all so yeah thanks that was the point. I won't get into the Brady made BB talks. My point is, as you admitted we were the best team and still couldn't get it done. AND IT'S HOW WE LOST! Same questions we have after the Titans loss in 2019. Even you who has an answer for everything doesn't understand why we abandoned the run right?

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Cause he's a good play caller? what about him gives you confidence that he can be a good head coach?
There is a lot more that goes into being a good head coach than just being a good play caller, but there is a part of me that longs for that Sean McVay-Kyle Shanahan tier offensive mind as a head coach.